Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > How to maintain container soil

Thread Title Search
How to maintain container soil Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2018, 02:32 PM #21
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of light
You seem to know a good deal about microbes. More then me for sure. I just know what works gardening from common sense and trial and error. Can i ask you what you think about compost teas?
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-23-2018, 11:59 AM #22
bigbadbiddy

bigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the roughbigbadbiddy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microbeman View Post
It is a little more complicated than that BBB. Different microbes have differing methods of self preservation. You would need to study up on these before drawing conclusions.
For example, some flagellates will encyst when they detect their environment is drying or freezing.

A cyst might exist intact for 100 years or 2 days prior to excysting.

Shit, you are right.

What were they called in the common tongue, water bears or something? Tardigrades I believe was their scientific name.

Not sure if "micro animals" and microbes are in the same category but tardigrades can, if memory serves, even survive vacuum, extreme temperatures for sure.
Makes sense that there are at least some types of microbes that can compete with the tardigrade in terms of survivalism.

So basically, to get back to OP's question, he shouldn't worry too much about it. While freezing solid, even that wouldn't "kill" the soil completely, just part of the microherd would be negatively affected?
bigbadbiddy is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 03:29 PM #23
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Microbeman has disabled reputation
Every single one of the nutrient cycling microbes I've studied has a self preservation routine. If you look at my video you see this in action. It is valuable to use local microbes so if it freezes in your area, this is part of the natural cycle.

"When the facts change, I change my mind.
What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~
Sorry: No questions by PM, check my webpage

Microbeman is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 04:01 PM #24
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
Quote:
Every single one of the nutrient cycling microbes I've studied has a self preservation routine. If you look at my video you see this in action. It is valuable to use local microbes so if it freezes in your area, this is part of the natural cycle.
Thatís a great point about the indigenous microbes. Iím wanting to make some IMO but canít find wheat mill run anywhere in my area. I even checked our local Co-ops but came up with snake eyes! I actually just posted a thread asking about substitutes I could use for WMR - any suggestions? Hopefully something a little more widely available.
DTOM420 is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 05:04 PM #25
GingerBeard

GingerBeard will become famous soon enough
DTOM,

Use wheat bran.

GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTOM420 View Post
Thatís a great point about the indigenous microbes. Iím wanting to make some IMO but canít find wheat mill run anywhere in my area. I even checked our local Co-ops but came up with snake eyes! I actually just posted a thread asking about substitutes I could use for WMR - any suggestions? Hopefully something a little more widely available.
GingerBeard is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM #26
DTOM420

DTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really niceDTOM420 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerBeard View Post
DTOM,

Use wheat bran.

GB
10-4. Is that going to be available at a brew store? Iím heading to the Ciudad Grande this morning and Iíll have a rare opportunity to have access to all sorts of stores! I was going to try and pick up some sprouted barley for teas, anyway. Sure would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.
DTOM420 is offline Quote

Old 10-23-2018, 07:59 PM #27
Streft

Streft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the rough
Wmr was used originally because that's what they had it was cheap and a waste product. If u can't get that any grain based chaf or ground up grains will work. Barley wheat rye millet any cereal grain. That's the whole point of knf is using what's there and what's cheap and sustainable. I would assume even sawdust or cardboard even news paper would work just like em1. And any malted grains used to make imo would only be a bonus I would think. Best of luck
Streft is offline Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 01:04 AM #28
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
10-4. Is that going to be available at a brew store? Iím heading to the Ciudad Grande this morning and Iíll have a rare opportunity to have access to all sorts of stores! I was going to try and pick up some sprouted barley for teas, anyway. Sure would be nice to kill 2 birds with one stone.
I get wheat bran at livestock feed stores. It is cheap and in 50 lb sacks - about $12

You do not need to make indigenous microbes. Just using some of your local soil will be ample plus spores are in the air for many of them. Take a clue from sour dough bread makers.

What do you do, sir?"
"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greatest good of everyone."
~John Maynard Keynes~

Old 10-24-2018, 02:02 AM #29
DTOM420

Quote:
I get wheat bran at livestock feed stores. It is cheap and in 50 lb sacks - about $12

You do not need to make indigenous microbes. Just using some of your local soil will be ample plus spores are in the air for many of them. Take a clue from sour dough bread makers.
I saw this too late, lol! I found wheat bran at a feed store because I was 3 hours from home. No feed stores in my area sell any wheat products. Lol! It wasnít cheap either - $20 for a 50# sack. Malted valet was [i]really[I\] not cheap - $50 for $50#!

Since I got the bran Iím gonna make it anyway. Might not be ďnecessaryĒ but it wonít hurt and itíll be educational. Iím guessing I may be able to get a wide variety in somewhat higher concentrations slightly more quickly? Part of my reasoning is to inoculate some biochar Iím planning to make this winter, in the homemade kiln Iím working on.

Thanks for the reply but I already had it all loaded up before I saw your post. Lol! Oops!
DTOM420 is offline Quote

Old 10-24-2018, 06:19 AM #30
Microbeman
The Logical Gardener

Quote:
I saw this too late, lol! I found wheat bran at a feed store because I was 3 hours from home. No feed stores in my area sell any wheat products. Lol! It wasnít cheap either - $20 for a 50# sack. Malted valet was [i]really[I\] not cheap - $50 for $50#!

Since I got the bran Iím gonna make it anyway. Might not be ďnecessaryĒ but it wonít hurt and itíll be educational. Iím guessing I may be able to get a wide variety in somewhat higher concentrations slightly more quickly? Part of my reasoning is to inoculate some biochar Iím planning to make this winter, in the homemade kiln Iím working on.

Thanks for the reply but I already had it all loaded up before I saw your post. Lol! Oops!
Hey go for it. Bran is great for a few things. Growing out nematodes being one.

What do you do, sir?"
~John Maynard Keynes~