Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Organic Soil > Worms in containers

Thread Title Search
Worms in containers Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-10-2018, 08:46 AM #1
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of light
Worms in containers

Has anyone used worms directly in their pots?

I have done some vermicomposting but not added worms directly to soil. My interest is with composting worms bringing amendments from the soil surface 6" below in my outdoor containers. The only thing it's the way i amend and use green manures, my soil it's on fire at the beginning of the year right before i plant and i think it would kill them. I COULD add them when i plant.... But how many Worms do i need to be really affective? And how would i raise enough Worms to colonize hundreds of yards of soil.

A plant is in the ground for 6 months... It would be nice to be able to get non water soluble amendments past the top inch of soil.
CrushnYuba is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 09:11 AM #2
Big Nasty

Big Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really niceBig Nasty is just really nice
i used to farm worms for fishing,it's easy:a wooden container,dirt,vegetables(lett uce,potato peel,etc.,not agrumes),newspaper or cardboard.Then you have to find worms:after a heavy rain in the evening you can find them easily near fields or even on concrete,look for the big ones,you can buy them in a bait store and try to farm them.I think they're not going to stay in the pot for a long time,they like slightly humid soil,not flooded so when it rains or when you water the pot there's a chance that they would go away.btw the most difficult part it's when you have to pick them out of the container without killing them.
Big Nasty is offline Quote

Old 10-10-2018, 03:13 PM #3
Streft

Streft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the rough
In nature bacteria and microbes would eat/breakdown all non soluble nutrients at the top i.e. compost the material then rain or water passing through said material would create a compost tea and leach the nutrients down to the roots so I think your stressing abt something that is already happening. With that said I'm starting an indoor no till 50 gallon container and adding some of my worms to it but I'm also building the soil with my worms in mind so I'm adding bedding and making the soil a good food source for the worms. My thought is if the worms are happy and eating, my plants will be happy and for a longer duration than if I didn't add the worms. Best of luck!!
Have an awesome day!
Streft is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 02:34 AM #4
CrushnYuba

CrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of lightCrushnYuba is a glorious beacon of light
That's a good call. I know it is happening naturally... But i think it could be better. My top layer is way biologicaly active, but once roots are established, it stops much from getting past an inch or so. I want a fatter 6" layer closer to tilled amendments for the non soluble stuff.

Old 10-11-2018, 04:33 AM #5
Streft

Streft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the roughStreft is a jewel in the rough
If u observe the need in your container for worms and feel worms will help u achieve your goals then u definitely need to do it. Worms in no till indoor containers and beds are very popular. Quick Google search or YouTube I've seen alot of others doing it and it makes sence. Plus it's also a quick search to find that worms won't eat living roots. So I really don't see any negitives in having worms in there. Worst case they die and even then still fertilize the plant.
Btw what containers are u using?
Streft is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 08:20 AM #6
CrushnYuba

I use smart pots or mounds of soil on top of native clay. Both are a couple yards of soil. I have seen people do it in their no till pots.
I guess i am trying to figure out if the juice is worth the squeez. I wouldn't want to convert to no till for that volume of soil. I wouldn't be able to keep up with the frequent top dressing or tea labor. Maybe i can't have it both ways. So no one uses worms unless they are no till?

Old 10-11-2018, 08:05 PM #7
MJPassion
Observer

MJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond reputeMJPassion has a reputation beyond repute
Sure!

Add worms to your pots.

Especially if your recycling them.
MJPassion is offline Quote

Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM #8
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
I have had worms in my containers since I have been recycling and imho it isn't LOS without them

they are also the proverbial canary in the coal mine

mine all came from castings which is a sign of casting quality as well

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM #9
CrushnYuba

Why do you say canary in the coal mine?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:18 PM #10
Weird
3rd eye jedi

Weird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivorWeird is a survivor
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrushnYuba View Post
Why do you say canary in the coal mine?

happy worm population equates to healthy soil wherein a decline of worms indicates the opposite

WWDLBD

WW1.618D

Quote:
The shape it takes could be yours to choose

What you may win, what you may lose
Sativa is manna from heaven - BLueGrassToker

Ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cured - Ureapwhatusow

nobody every told me i found out for myself, you've got to believe in foolish miracles - o. osborne

Although the masters make the rules
For the wise men and the fools
I got nothing, Ma, to live up to - b. Dylan
Weird is offline Quote

5 members found this post helpful.