What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Human Shit is good Fertiliser

hyposomniac

Couldn't have said it better if I edited the post for a week. There's a reason that Japanese researchers have developed some of the best sewage processing microbes in the world, and it's because their culture, as an island culture, has always had a focus on sustainability and responsible treatment of the land, because there is literally no where to go if they ruin their home.

Well I guess building a nuclear power plant on an unstable hill next to the ocean near a fault line put an end to that philosophy. Referring to 3/11/2011

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Just checked the PPM of my Urine collection for the last 24 hours, its 10,000 PPM! So really you would want to dilute it 20X to get to 500ppm, and that's if using RO. at 5X dilution I killed all my summer herbs.

Dog Star

Veteran
Well I guess building a nuclear power plant on an unstable hill next to the ocean near a fault line put an end to that philosophy. Referring to 3/11/2011

Thats a good one Hyposomniac,atleast you sound proper informated...

but a Japan still thinks to made Olympics 2020...

imagine all those healthy sportist run and train in enviroment
worst affected than exclusion zone around Chernobil...

Was before have more respect for Japan folks and thinked they are
smart and progressive while they showed pretty dumb if we
talk nuclear energy... those Fukushima is still burning
after 7 years and sends toxic plumes directly to
North America..

Nuclear power was a hard choice for Japan, they needed to vastly expand energy production, rapidly, solar tech wasn't advanced or cost efficient enough yet, the first tidal power plant didn't open until 1965 in France, and due to the disruption such plants often cause to fish migration, they would have only been viable in certain areas. TEPCO was under serious criticism for the amount of pollution that conventional power plants were putting into the environment, because it was already affecting not only wildlife but the health and wellness of people living in the areas where these plants were built. So, with their ally the US preaching to the world about how clean and safe nuclear power was, they made, in retrospect, the wrong call.

General Electric provided the reactors for the first two units built. Ironically enough, their sister plant just 7.5m to the south was obviously also hit by the Tsunami, but was able to safely reach cold state shut down on all their reactors. That disaster was a complicated matter, it wasn't until 1990 when the USNRC began its warnings about the safety of nuclear power plants in seismically active areas of the world, TEPCO suffered issues of corruption resulting in the Data Falsification Scandal and before things could be figured out so as to be able to refurbish the plant safely, the Tsunami hit. They had already previously shut down the Kazimazaki plant due to similar safety concerns after an earthquake in 2008, and it resulted in the first year of losses the company had ever reported in its history, this left management scared to make a move in either direction, and their stalling led to the disaster.

Dog Star

Veteran
If you are informed than i dont get where is a beef... mine words was not pointed
at you personaly nor i have nothing against you..

was comment on Hyposomniac words..

If you are informed than i dont get where is a beef... mine words was not pointed
at you personaly nor i have nothing against you..

was comment on Hyposomniac words..
My apologies for misinterpreting your words, the Fukushima incident has been a heavy topic of study for me, a lot of ignorance has been spread about what actually took place, so I tend to get a little touchy about it.

Dog Star

Veteran
No problemo DenverVaultBoy,

think its a huge tragedy those what happends but a fact is that this was mostly human
mistake,from position of NP to facts that reactors was haved cracks,then those generators
for cooling was destroyed by tsunami wave and NP left whithouth cooling,then criticality
happends and reactors goes mayhem exploding with huge explosions..

am readed data that burned uranium in micro balls was fly from explosions to
100 kilometers or more.. so just detonations are spreaded radioactivity on huge area..

plume just added fine particles all around and spreaded radiation even more..

so no matter on Japan high devepment level and such a great trusts of brains
there happends things that push country in a matter of days in dangerous place
to live,polution of worst kind since this radionuclides have huge time of lasting
inside nature and they will kill life for millenias if not much much longer..

This song somehow catches what i wish to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oO0PT_-Ao

Depeche Mode - Going Backwards (Video)

am readed data that burned uranium in micro balls was fly from explosions to
100 kilometers or more.. so just detonations are spreaded radioactivity on huge area..

plume just added fine particles all around and spreaded radiation even more..

so no matter on Japan high devepment level and such a great trusts of brains
there happends things that push country in a matter of days in dangerous place
to live,polution of worst kind since this radionuclides have huge time of lasting
inside nature and they will kill life for millenias if not much much longer..

This song somehow catches what i wish to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oO0PT_-Ao

Depeche Mode - Going Backwards (Video)
It took a global nuclear disaster to trigger the invention of radiation neutralizing nano-technology in the fiction "Ghost in the Shell", hard times have a way of forcing progress.

The US convinced them to buy into nuclear power, sold them their first reactors, the US government of those days is probably just as responsible for the implementation of nuclear power as the Japanese government, hm, we sent something really big and expensive over to Japan that exploded and irradiated populated areas, why does that story sound familiar...?

hyposomniac

My apologies for misinterpreting your words, the Fukushima incident has been a heavy topic of study for me, a lot of ignorance has been spread about what actually took place, so I tend to get a little touchy about it.

So how's it looking at fuku now?
I was pretty interested when it happened, it became an obsession, I even moved to the southern hemisphere to escape at one point.
It became impossible to decipher the truth, so I just had to tune out and stop stressing.
Chernobyl was among the first news stories I remember and it scared the shit outta me, that's probably why.
That and the Challenger shuttle explosion, which is why I avoid space travel.

Klompen

I mixed my urine with water, 1-2 pees to 1 Gallon of water, and fed it to my herb plants this summer, they all died.

How long should you let urine sit? what is the process and benefit? What are your dilution rates? thanks. I eat pretty healthy, so no processed foods, and just the salt I manually apply to my meals thanks.

That's pretty strange that they died from that. Were they seedlings? I guess I don't know how much "1-2 pees" actually is in terms of volume, but even if the urine was mixed 10 parts water to 1 part urine it shouldn't fry the plants in one feeding(but you didn't specify how often you did this). Urine should not be given to seedlings though. Also, if you already had a lot of nitrogen in the soil that can be loading it up pretty heavily. Urine can also cause massive release of potassium if there's woody material in the medium because it rapidly speeds up degradation of cellulose.

Its important to also consider that the nitrates and other nutrients can take a while to break down so one can make the mistake of adding more because it doesn't seem to be giving results immediately. It helps to let the urine sit for a month or two at least and then decant it. Then let it sit a month or two more and decant it again. This gets fats, salts, and other junk out of it.

So how's it looking at fuku now?
I was pretty interested when it happened, it became an obsession, I even moved to the southern hemisphere to escape at one point.
It became impossible to decipher the truth, so I just had to tune out and stop stressing.
Chernobyl was among the first news stories I remember and it scared the shit outta me, that's probably why.
That and the Challenger shuttle explosion, which is why I avoid space travel.
Admittedly not very good, containment efforts were very improvised for much longer than they should have been, they were attempting to keep the contaminated water from reaching the ocean by freezing it for God's sake. More effort is being made, but in my opinion it's still not enough, not by a long shot.

You can get the details for all the steps being taken both to prosecute those responsible and clean up the site at

https://www.iaea.org/newscenter/focus/fukushima/status-update

guineapig

Veteran
Honestly it is a tie between rabbit guano and guinea pig guano as far as proper NPK ratios, I researched this a long time ago, I will try to find the article if it still exists, I wrote an entire play about George Washington traveling forward in time and I can't find it anywhere, but all that aside, I found some scientific journals and research papers about guinea pig guano and it had the exact NPK ratio down to the hundredths place, and it was optimal except that you would have to boost the P during flowering because the P levels were just slightly low....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

Just in case no one has mentioned it yet in this thread...

https://www.weblife.org/humanure/

I did actually read this book. I learned a lot about composting. A whole lot.

No i do not compost my crap. Yes i still flush my toilet. I do piss on the compost pile any time i'm outside and need to go.

But, i am convinced that one could safely compost human crap and successfully use it as fertilizer. Using it fresh is risky.

St. Phatty

There is one other option.

I'm afraid my chickens made this point, by what they did to the area where I dump the used kitty litter.

I didn't want to think about it too much. But the conclusion is becoming more obvious. The chickens are eating the cat turds.

Something tells me they would also eat human turds.

Fortunately I have a system set up that allows me to not handle human turds. AKA the toilet.

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
Honestly it is a tie between rabbit guano and guinea pig guano as far as proper NPK ratios, I researched this a long time ago, I will try to find the article if it still exists, I wrote an entire play about George Washington traveling forward in time and I can't find it anywhere, but all that aside, I found some scientific journals and research papers about guinea pig guano and it had the exact NPK ratio down to the hundredths place, and it was optimal except that you would have to boost the P during flowering because the P levels were just slightly low....

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

I got guineapigs just for their guano, 3 of them, then on vacation a neighbours dog showed up on the rural farm and slaughtered all 3 on the field. It was a sad sight. I harvested a total of around 10-20 Gallons of Guano though, and have used that in my soil. I think of them whenever I see a little poop floating in the top of the soil mix pot.

RIP, Big Mama (14 months), Stretch (8 months), Wookie (6 months).

Turns out I was pretty allergic, and I wouldn't be able to give them a good home forever so I suppose its all for the best.

igrowone

Veteran
many beasts find the human turd delightful
interesting article in some magazine about an american couple in the philippine countryside
domesticated pigs love human poo, quite the combination with outhouses
the pigs could tell they had to do #2 just by the way they walked
get to the outhouse and a snout would be sticking out waiting
not an experience most people want, they had to use a 'pig stick' to keep them away during the process