What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is there a method of "reduction" of oil like there is for Ethanol?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Question:

My new centrifuge should be here this week and I have a question. How can I test the separated coconut oil for potency?

I ASSume after a spin in the centrifuge, something will separate. Not sure what but, probably something.

I can do Thin Layer Chromatography and easier, I can do the Beam and Duquenois-Levine Reagent tests but I have found that cooking oils mess with those tests and often things come out less than accurate.

Anyone know a good way to test the separated material after the spin?

Unfortunately, with my tolerance issues, simply 'trying' it is not an option. Plus, I will be spinning tiny amounts so I will need some method to determine which half (if either) is stronger than the other.

Thanks

MrBungle

oil doesn't evaporate like a solvent would... if its not strong enough steep more flowers in the oil

St. Phatty

What about the other end of the temperature spectrum ...

If you let it sit in a freezer, do you get a kind of separation that allows you to pick out the pieces that you like ?

If you live near a college, maybe the chem department could be helpful.

There have got to be compounds that help you control the mixture of your Cannabis oil.

Plus they have lots of tools. Maybe some stoner professor can turn this into a class project.

The oil sounds like it would be good for tooth pain.

robotwithdreams

Veteran
Maybe easier to make rosin , decarb, and addoil. Thats how i make my olive oil based tincture. Completely solvent free. Half an ounce of flowers worth of goodies in a tiny 30 ml bottle.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
oil doesn't evaporate like a solvent would... if its not strong enough steep more flowers in the oil

Duh, I never considered that. LOL I suppose at some point the oil will reach it's maximum saturation but I could try a second or third extraction with the same oil and new pot each time.

Thanks