What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Side by side grow. 630 CMH vs 1000HPS

issack

Veteran
Hey all.. I wanted to share this side by side grow to more of the audience in this forum. My thread in the grow diaries " 8k coco grow show" is rather huge, and I think this will tend to get lost and not seen by many on here. I figured this section would be a good one to post this in.

Started this room out with 8 1000w hps lamps.. I've been using HPS for many years and I've been reading the rave reviews on the CMH 630. I am looking for a better quality product in my flowers. So I grabbed 4 of these and am giving it a shot. I am wanting to move away from air-cooled lights and HPS. And have more trics and aroma from my buds.. I hear these are doing just that. So here we are. If I don't get the same yield as the hps I will simply go back to all hps. If I have just a slightly difference in a little bit lower of a yield with better quality, I will end up getting 4 more CMH then.

I do the coco tree's method. Coco DTW with multiple feeds. I'm currently feeding every 4 hours at the moment, and I will end up feeding every 2 hours once they take full root and demand more.
I use mills nutrients with some tweaks, and absolutely love it. This is my 4th grow in this new room. This room is the perfect climate. 48k btu of AC going in here. My temps don't get over 80. Co2 burner set to 1000ppm. Humidity is at 60 at all times. My rez is located outside this room in a shed I built that holds my RO water to flil up my Reservoir. I have a water chiller set to 64 on my water at all times. I never go over 900ppm during the whole grow.

So far the HPS side is producing more squaty plants that are wide. The leaves seem to be bigger as well. The CMH side is thick and the stems and stalks are fat and tough as well. I'm actually very surprised how well the 630s are penetrating. I was thinking I was going to have more larfy branches on the CMH side, but that is not the case..

The strain is pineapple chunk. And she is my biggest yielder in my collection at the moment. This plant is tough, big, and badass. And great smoke.

I will be giving weekly updates and pictures and my feedback all the way to harvest, and also the weight report after trim is done..I'm not on here that much, so I will try and answer as much and fast as I can. Feel free to ask anything you like guys. I like to hear opinions and debates.

You guys can go to my gallery and see my grows in this room and also go check my thread " 8k coco grow show " in grow diaries.

This is 13 days veg under the cmh and hps from clones that were under floros for 2 weeks.. 48 plants. 2 gal smart pots. Every plant is rocking house and doing very well. So far this grow has been spot on.. let's hope it stays that way.. lol

Tomorrow I will start defoliating and stripping branches and stretch my first course of Nets. I'm thinking 7 more days and I will flip 12/12. And obviously you can tell which side is which by the light..

Oh almost forgot. I'm using the Phillips agro full spectrum lamps on the 315s, and hortilux 1000 lamps with raptor hoods on the hps.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

UncleBens

This will be interesting :yes:
Ive been thinking about building another room and was thinking about going with all CMH. I recently added one 315 between 2 600's at the moment, I think it made a noticeable difference the last crop, especially tastewise.
What kind of yield per light would you usually expect from this strain under the HPS?

I've been killing it with 630w de cmh for over a year. They will keep up with your HPS watt for watt. They run a couple degrees cooler, but not much. Resin and aroma will be a benefit from the lower IR radiation from the cmh. You are going to love working under the higher cree spectrum as well. It makes spotting deficiencies a little easier too! Oh and last run I broke 1gpw running a 630w bulb at 700w over a 4x4 aerotable with a multi strain run.

I'm pulling up a chair to see this grow show. And I'll check out your other grow!

issack

Veteran
The most I've got so far in the room with 8 hps lamps with this strain is 14.5 pounds, and that's before I got my ac issues fixed. With horrible temps and loosing plants. I lost 6 plants when I did my last p chunk grow. So with everything running perfect this time I'm hoping for the best. If I can rip 2 lb a lamp on the 630s I'll be sold.

issack

Veteran
I've been killing it with 630w de cmh for over a year. They will keep up with your HPS watt for watt. They run a couple degrees cooler, but not much. Resin and aroma will be a benefit from the lower IR radiation from the cmh. You are going to love working under the higher cree spectrum as well. It makes spotting deficiencies a little easier too! Oh and last run I broke 1gpw running a 630w bulb at 700w over a 4x4 aerotable with a multi strain run.

I'm pulling up a chair to see this grow show. And I'll check out your other grow!

Sweet.!! Dude that makes me happy..! Thank you for the info. I'm looking for resin for sure. I'm already really loving the way the plants look under the CMH . Also I can see that the branch structure is way more stiff than the HPS they're very rigid and tough.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Looks great man! Im ready to get some updated technology to replace my 1k hps's also. How's the heat comparing the air cooled 1k's vs the open no air cooled 630's? Do you have both sides at the same height?

Maple_Flail

Looking great man!

I'm already sold on CMH, all this is just icing.

you can see already the plants under CMH are reacting "naturally" to the fuller spectrum.

DunHav`nFun

Awesome job bro...I guess the shorter wider hps side has gotta be due to more light , but is that really a deciding factor on end result product ?......only time will tell , and I understand the DE fixtures needta stay up high to provide the footprint over the plants , but damned if I wouldn`t level the playing field with droppin the 630`s down closer to provide equal lumens/par/ppfd/umols/ wtf ever to make the comparison as close as possible but still footprint coverage comes into play as a limiting factor....and hey.....

Looks like the bottoms on the CMH side have already been dealt with , and cleaning out the insides away from the mainstem plus getting rid of all lower sucker branches keeps airflow through the plants at maximum while allowing all defined cola producing laterals to further stack and get ready for stretch once you pull the trigger.....anyways.....

Don`t worry too much about big fan leaves before 12/12 but rather wait till stretch is completely over then clean out all large fans that aren`t attached to or comin out of nuggage......wait 2-3 more weeks strain dependent and clean out any that popped up after the first stripping.....this also shows how much nitrogen`s left in the plants after all feed has been switched to bloom juice , and by getting rid of em makes the flush go faster with less residuals needed to be purged by end of cycle/choptime....aight....

Nuff outta my old ass this day.....Proudta see yas back at it and strokin....and before I forget it.....Hopefully the 2 AC units aren't slowing growth on the cmh side from direct exposure to all that cold air blastin out.....or is it ?....anyways....

Thanks for your time and experience on 1 of the cleanest and well thought out setups I`ve seen in awhile....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:....

Last edited:

issack

Veteran
Looks great man! Im ready to get some updated technology to replace my 1k hps's also. How's the heat comparing the air cooled 1k's vs the open no air cooled 630's? Do you have both sides at the same height?

They run the same heat as air cooled 1000. I did I test and ran the room with each side separately on. Also you can actually feel the heat more on the 630 when you put your hand the same distance away as the 1000. It's hard to tell exactly though. With all the air movement and how cool it is in the room. But I will say it's the same heat. Now the 630s are WAY cooler than a non air cooled 1000w that's for sure. Non air cool hps lamp is a fireball of heat.

ReeferDan

Pulling up a chair for this one!
Always interested in your threads and grows! You do a great job at putting all your thoughts and processes down in the thread and welcome others ideas and thoughts. Great place for all to learn!

Issack, for my grow I’m trying to learn the art of the top feed multifeed
Can you explain more of your drip setup/timers/timing/volume? I.e. I have an art dne set for 10 sec every 8 hours and it gives me ~200ml per line
Anything to help me wrap my head more around dialing in my watering setup and time

sourkush

very clean room, looks really nice

what brand of cmh are you using? they are dual 315s not double ended 630 right?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Ill be following along for the comparison, its awesome you got your AC dealt with sky is the limit now.

issack

Veteran
Pulling up a chair for this one!
Always interested in your threads and grows! You do a great job at putting all your thoughts and processes down in the thread and welcome others ideas and thoughts. Great place for all to learn!

Issack, for my grow I’m trying to learn the art of the top feed multifeed
Can you explain more of your drip setup/timers/timing/volume? I.e. I have an art dne set for 10 sec every 8 hours and it gives me ~200ml per line
Anything to help me wrap my head more around dialing in my watering setup and time

Yo bro.!!!

Okay so multi feed. We are in coco, two gal Smart pots. I use a 265 gph pump. And that runs this whole grow. 48 plants. My magic tried and true feed time is 1 minute 15 seconds. I use a DNE timer. When I first plant in the room, I manually turn my feed on.. I do this by feel for a few days . Probably 4 days. Then once they are growing and taking root, I then put it on the timer. I will feed every 5 to 6 hours at this point for 1 minute 15 or so seconds. ( you have to find your sweet spot with the size pots and all for yourself) then as I see they are getting dry fast and drinking more, I then go to 4 hours. Then 3, then eventually 2. Keep in mind this is all with run off. I like run off. Not major, but slight run off. You can't over water coco, so water away.. flood those girls. They love it. They explode once I'm at every 3 hours. You're feeding them fresh cold oxygenated nutrients every few hours. that's the key. Even with the timer for 1 minute I still have to push the button on the timer for a second feed right away when lights first come on. (This is after three weeks of growth) They are thirsty at first feed. Dehumidifier pulling water in the dark cycle. Sometimes it takes 4 minutes to get run off from the first watering. Omce they are saturated then, the timer does all the rest perfectly throughout the day cycle.

Basically keep the coco wet. And work up to where your plants and drinking and utilizing all you're feed every 2 hours to 1 hour and and a half. you work your way up to that point.

Hope that helps man..

issack

Veteran
Awesome job bro...I guess the shorter wider hps side has gotta be due to more light , but is that really a deciding factor on end result product ?......only time will tell , and I understand the DE fixtures needta stay up high to provide the footprint over the plants , but damned if I wouldn`t level the playing field with droppin the 630`s down closer to provide equal lumens/par/ppfd/umols/ wtf ever to make the comparison as close as possible but still footprint coverage comes into play as a limiting factor....and hey.....

Looks like the bottoms on the CMH side have already been dealt with , and cleaning out the insides away from the mainstem plus getting rid of all lower sucker branches keeps airflow through the plants at maximum while allowing all defined cola producing laterals to further stack and get ready for stretch once you pull the trigger.....anyways.....

Don`t worry too much about big fan leaves before 12/12 but rather wait till stretch is completely over then clean out all large fans that aren`t attached to or comin out of nuggage......wait 2-3 more weeks strain dependent and clean out any that popped up after the first stripping.....this also shows how much nitrogen`s left in the plants after all feed has been switched to bloom juice , and by getting rid of em makes the flush go faster with less residuals needed to be purged by end of cycle/choptime....aight....

Nuff outta my old ass this day.....Proudta see yas back at it and strokin....and before I forget it.....Hopefully the 2 AC units aren't slowing growth on the cmh side from direct exposure to all that cold air blastin out.....or is it ?....anyways....

Thanks for your time and experience on 1 of the cleanest and well thought out setups I`ve seen in awhile....Good luck and.....

Peace....DHF.....:ying:....

I always love your replies man.. always looking after me pops. :tiphat:

Latest posts

Latest posts