What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Spider mites.... Bun, dun, Daaaaa

First case of spider mites in 5 years!
My girls are in week 2 1/2 of flower and have maybe 5 pistols at each node.
There were a few "like 2" larger ones on every few leaves, and eggs.
Did not see any webbing, just noticed the light spotting on leaves.

Heres what I HAVE done.

- I turned my inline fan up, to decrease the temp

- Defoliated the small amount of leaves from all of the plants that were showing signs spotting, and had the post pest population.

-Sprayed all of my plants with H20, and cranked the Humidifier up.

-Wiped the leaves off with h20.

What I will be doing tomorrow

- Safers Soap spray.

- See if my school wants to half me on some beneficials, because I most defiantly brought them home from school.

I WOULD LOOOOVE ANY other tips...

Like I said this is my first time getting them, but I do goto school for horticulture, hopefully I found them soon enough.

:thank you:

blueberrydrumz

ICMag Donor
First case of spider mites in 5 years!
My girls are in week 2 1/2 of flower and have maybe 5 pistols at each node.
There were a few "like 2" larger ones on every few leaves, and eggs.
Did not see any webbing, just noticed the light spotting on leaves.

Heres what I HAVE done.

- Defoliated the small amount of leaves from all of the plants that were showing signs spotting, and had the post pest population.

What I will be doing tomorrow

- Safers Soap spray.

- See if my school wants to half me on some beneficials, because I most defiantly brought them home from school.

I WOULD LOOOOVE ANY other tips...

Like I said this is my first time getting them, but I do goto school for horticulture, hopefully I found them soon enough.

:thank you:
try a mix of linona oil, garlic & chilli!!

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Still early enough in flower for a good neem soak and repeat. Make sure no new hatchlings have anything good to eat for the next week.

While I don't really trust it at time of harvest, I'd probably use "Mighty wash" for another week past the neem just to be certain all eggs have hatched and larva/immature bugs never get a chance to mature.

Make your grow a clean room until you locate the source of them,... odds are YOU are carrying them in from somewhere else. Shower and change clothes before tending to your girls to eliminate that possibility.

Still early enough in flower for a good neem soak and repeat. Make sure no new hatchlings have anything good to eat for the next week.

While I don't really trust it at time of harvest, I'd probably use "Mighty wash" for another week past the neem just to be certain all eggs have hatched and larva/immature bugs never get a chance to mature.

Make your grow a clean room until you locate the source of them,... odds are YOU are carrying them in from somewhere else. Shower and change clothes before tending to your girls to eliminate that possibility.

Yeah, I know exactly where they came from.... My school green house, I have been expecting this and worse to be honest.

HArd to keep everything spotless as they are in a basement from 1912 " concrete, but still very old " I garden, and have alot of exotic plants in the house, So if they get too bad I will bring in a pack of Longipes (ESOSEIULUS LONGIPES), or Phytoseiulus persimilis.

Thanks for the Tips every 1!. I will use what I have been taught in school " neem, and soap"

I am assuming they are going to enjoy my house. So predator mites might be in order. Still weird for mites to be in myyyyy house.

Norkali

Here's how I traded Spider Mites for Powdery Mildew:

My girls are in week 2 1/2 of flower:

ftfy. Just poking a little fun, but you might want to be careful with the environmental changes....sounds like a powdery mildew heaven to me....although the increased inline will give more airflow = good.

D

DJXXPLATINUM

BORG.....PAIN IN THE ASS.....PLANT VITALITY.......E BAY....SHIT WORKS...DJ

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Yeah,... I'm not in school for anything, but I've got a job where I get exposed to everything, (quite literally!) and it also puts me in a position where I've seen plenty of gardens, from exotic flowers, to vegies, and a good deal of MMJ.

I've seen first hand every kind of pest with the exception of Root Aphids, (I thought I had contracted them once, but I think it was more my wife "Helping" with the watering. Things are better now that she knows NOT to go into the grow room! ;) )

I also like to grow Hot peppers, and about half of our house plants are a chili of one kind or another. Thrips are my main vice in my house, tho mites LOVE the wifes miniature Rose, and any kind of basil that we grow.

I treat my MMJ grow weekly with neem and "Dont bug me" spray's to keep pests out in vege.

So far as a crawler wandering in from elsewhere in the house?.... Well, I'd wager my MMJ grow is 95% sealed circulation, intake and exhaust are filtered, and the whole room is under negative pressure compared to the rest of the house. It is it's own little micro environment/clean room.

2.5 years, no major pest problems, couple scares that were squashed by simple upkeep on routine, in spite of bringing mite infested clones home!

While I'm at it,... Your going to class for this shit,.... what is this?

I'm certain it's a predatory mite, but what's it's name? I've got these guy's and Springtails (also seen in this pic) in my soil.
picture.php

Top shot of him.
picture.php

ballplayer 2

Canni, during the summer I had those mites, along with a much smaller white/clear mite that moves very slowly. All I know is that my plants were f'ed bigtime. The small white/clear mites were present when I tried again in the Fall, the grow was a failure as well. The buds were about 1/3 the size they should have been at 5 weeks, I chopped. The small white version looked exactly the same as the larger one you are showing, but maybe 1/3 the size.

Hopefully you are able to find out what they are. They really screwed up my grow bigtime. I cannot seem to get rid of them, no matter how much I clean and allow the room to lie fallow. Next time I give it a go I will be treating with everyting under the sun. A member by the name of overgrowit and I have been discussing this pest recently in the Broad Mite thread. I have done a great deal of research on "root mites" but have been unable to discern exactly what I am dealing with. If you find anything out please be sure to let me or overgrowit know.

Thank you for your time and help,
BP

ftfy. Just poking a little fun, but you might want to be careful with the environmental changes....sounds like a powdery mildew heaven to me....although the increased inline will give more airflow = good.

no issue with RH in my neck of the woods,I think thats why they are going so crazy, they love to pop eggs when the temps are up and humidity is down, so i have herd. I really don't want to come off as a smart ass, as I am still just learning.

Neem, Is a WONDER agent, One natural agent that I have not taken advantage of enough, I use it in my soils, when I pot but thats it.

I have seen that before.... looks supper familiar, but off the top of my head, I don't know. If no one else figures it out by monday, I will ask my diagnostics teacher. She knows everything haha.

Root aphids haunted me for 2 grows, They were coming from this so called staralized, local soil. Once i switched to premix that ended.

Phillthy

Seven-Thirty
ICMag Donor
Veteran
with your issue as small as it is now (good thing) i would hit it with the organics to control/wipe them out.

organocide
azamax
safers

things like that. hit the underside of the leaves every two days mixing it up.

you can drench with azamax at 15ml per gallon. the organocide is a contact killer along with safers to you need to hit the buggers under the leaves.

I have hit neem 2 times now, and been hitting randomly with some h20, keeping the Rh around 45-50.

To my amazement, they don't seem to be spreading. Took a hard look this morning and did not see any spiders, and very few new spots on the leafs.
I wanted to see if the neem would do anything, and yeah so far, seems to be doing the trick.

Now I know I need to watch for these little guys. On the plus side, the plants look fucking FAbbbb.

MIway

Veteran
horticultural oil dunk for a softer approach... trick is complete coverage, then it's a one timer. watch out for the oil burn tho.

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
I really don't understand why nobody believes me when I say plain ol Neem.

If you want to keep em in check, use Azamax or any of the other snake oils out there.

You want to eradicate them,.... Use neem! ;)

Edit; and just to clarify for the stoners among us,....

Do NOT spray pure Neem oil on your foliage, you need to mix it with water at a rate of around 1.5- 2 tablespoons of oil to a quart of water. Add a couple drops of mild dishwashing soap (I use doctor bronners peppermint http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm it's what we have on hand, and I like it's made with hemp oil :D ) as a wetting agent.

Lightly spray all foliage top and bottom, your not looking for runoff, tho by my experience if a small drip forms at the tip of the leaf it's not "all" bad but may result in tip burn that looks like nute issues.

Mostly its important to remember when using any oil based spray, that if too thick, or too heavily applied the oils can block the plants stomata (the holes in the leaf thru which the plant "breathes") Which would lead to the "Oil burn" Miway was hinting at and I mentioned above.

Edit, edit, Oh and shake the spray bottle every couple seconds between sprays to keep the oil emulsified in the water! ;) If you don't know what that means,... google it! :D

Edit to the edit of the edit,.... this is an ongoing regime. simply treating a plant once with neem only makes the treated leaves inedible to the borg. All new growth needs to be treated once it's formed. A religious once a week spray in vege is all that's needed to prevent the borg.

P.P.P.S. About once a month I try and hit my walls, floor and ceiling with a spray as well, that way any crawlers have to move thru it before finding my trays,.... let alone the treated stems! ;)

Canniwhatsis

High country cat herder
Veteran
Ok,... that's just about enough posting for tonight,.... as I hit the bottom of my 2nd 1L "Boot" of ale! :tiphat:

SneakySneaky

Veteran
with your issue as small as it is now (good thing) i would hit it with the organics to control/wipe them out.

organocide
azamax
safers

things like that. hit the underside of the leaves every two days mixing it up.

you can drench with azamax at 15ml per gallon. the organocide is a contact killer along with safers to you need to hit the buggers under the leaves.

what he said, i use azamax, organocide and montgomerys with spinosad.... nothing lives through a correct application of these. and by correct i mean getting the floors, all the leaves topside and under, and doing a few follow up sprays for safetys sake. if a bug lives through that send him to a lab cause thats a superbug.

I really don't understand why nobody believes me when I say plain ol Neem.

If you want to keep em in check, use Azamax or any of the other snake oils out there.

You want to eradicate them,.... Use neem! ;)

Edit; and just to clarify for the stoners among us,....

Do NOT spray pure Neem oil on your foliage, you need to mix it with water at a rate of around 1.5- 2 tablespoons of oil to a quart of water. Add a couple drops of mild dishwashing soap (I use doctor bronners peppermint http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/LS.htm it's what we have on hand, and I like it's made with hemp oil) as a wetting agent.

Lightly spray all foliage top and bottom, your not looking for runoff, tho by my experience if a small drip forms at the tip of the leaf it's not "all" bad but may result in tip burn that looks like nute issues.

Mostly its important to remember when using any oil based spray, that if too thick, or too heavily applied the oils can block the plants stomata (the holes in the leaf thru which the plant "breathes") Which would lead to the "Oil burn" Miway was hinting at and I mentioned above.

Edit, edit, Oh and shake the spray bottle every couple seconds between sprays to keep the oil emulsified in the water! If you don't know what that means,... google it!

Edit to the edit of the edit,.... this is an ongoing regime. simply treating a plant once with neem only makes the treated leaves inedible to the borg. All new growth needs to be treated once it's formed. A religious once a week spray in vege is all that's needed to prevent the borg.

P.P.P.S. About once a month I try and hit my walls, floor and ceiling with a spray as well, that way any crawlers have to move thru it before finding my trays,.... let alone the treated stems! ;)

I see Azamax getting tossed around here a lot.

If I'm not mistake, Azamax is a systemic.
Plants are in Week 3 of flower on a 5 1/2 -6 week strain. There is not a chance of me spraying a systemic on my plants weather people say it's "fine" or not.

I have got a few burt spots on leaves, but only on a few, pretty sure i over appplyed the fist time.
Neem is a wonder agent.... that is sold as a plant shine, because they can't explain its amazing properties, Kinda like with marijuana, 100's of benefits, yet not too much scientific proof. Just 1000's of years worth trial and error.
Canna, I have to spread Rep+ around first.....:wave:

Thx to everyone else, Love the support around here!!!

try some lavendar and rosemary oil.. They also hate the smell of garlic, so chop some up and place around the base to discourage any of them from climbing up the main stem. The lavendar and rosemary oil actually attack the cells of the mites and eggs, and practically melts them. I spray the bottom of my leaves with it, and within 5 minutes they are all black and dried up, eggs and all. It's difficult to hit every egg, but doing this weekly, I have gotten my infestation down from really bad to extremely mild. Only reason I'm not cured is because I have so many plants and sometimes get too busy or lazy to stay on top of it every 3 days like you should

Smelly_Cheese

I see Azamax getting tossed around here a lot.

If I'm not mistake, Azamax is a systemic.
Plants are in Week 3 of flower on a 5 1/2 -6 week strain. There is not a chance of me spraying a systemic on my plants weather people say it's "fine" or not.

I have got a few burt spots on leaves, but only on a few, pretty sure i over appplyed the fist time.
Neem is a wonder agent.... that is sold as a plant shine, because they can't explain its amazing properties, Kinda like with marijuana, 100's of benefits, yet not too much scientific proof. Just 1000's of years worth trial and error.
Canna, I have to spread Rep+ around first.....:wave:

Thx to everyone else, Love the support around here!!!

just a novice here but ive used azamax up to 6 weeks flower on a 8 week strain with zero taste or smell in buds. Alot harder to burn than with pure neem. Im shocked at those who will put harsh chems on there flowers like avid floramite. Or the hot shot pest strips. Screw that.
Ladybugs and safer soap are another helper but i was unsucessfull without azamax