What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

not sure what's going on. not growing quickly

I threw some seeds left over from a bag. they seem to be growing very slowly comparatively to what I've read about others. I've been consistantly modifying my setup to make it proper. I think I have my box finally complete. but besides that these plants have been growing for about 35 days and only one seems to be doing well. sure the other ones seem to grow leaves daily they just seem blah.

zbXHeh.jpg

emwmhh.jpg

ZLDZOh.jpg

any suggestions would be appreciated.

How long has this problem been going on?
a little while

What STRAIN are you growing?
not sure? seeds from an empty bag

What was the establishing technique? (seed or clone?)
seed

What is the age of your plants?
40 days

How long have they been in the soil mixture they are in now?
25 days

Were they in the same mixture when they were seedlings/smaller
plant? If not, what mixture were they in before?
same

How Tall are the plants?
10 inches. others are all small

What PHASE (seedling, vegetative or flower) are the plants in?
vegetative

What Technique are you using? (SOG, SCROG etc)
don't know those accronyms

What size pots are you using? (Include how many subjects to pot)
small pots 1.5 liter I'd say (one per pot)

What substrate/medium are you using? What brand of soil mixture are you using?(percentage of perlite, vermiculite...etc?)
some organic soil the chick was using for her indoor plants

What brand Nutrient's are you using?
schultz plant food plus 10-15-10

How much of each nutrient are you using with how much water? *Knowing the brand is very helpful*
1.5 teaspoons / gallon water

How often are you feeding?
every other day (watering)

If flowering, when did you switch over to using Bloom nutrients?
What order are you mixing your nutrients? (example: veg nutes 1st, bloom 2nd ect)

What is the TDS/EC/PPM of your nutrients used?
10-15-10
What is the pH of the "RUN-OFF"?
approx 6.5-7

How often are you testing pH/ppm/EC/TDS?
just started

What method of pH test was administered? Using Strips? pH pen?
strips

How often are you watering?
every other day. taking the pots out and soaking them until the bottom starts dripping out.

When was your last feeding and how often are you feeding?
the feed is in the water

What size bulb are you using?
4 6500K 23W cfl's

How old is your bulbs?
new

What is the distance to the canopy?
foot or so

What is your RH Factor? (Relative Humidity)
27-35

What is the canopy temperature?
approx 90

What is the Day/Night Temp? (Include fluctuation range)

What is the current Air Flow? (cfm etc.)
shrug?
Tell us about your ventilation, intake exhaust and when its running and not running ?
running constantly. computer fan intake at bottom, exhaust computer fan near top

Is the fan blowing directly at plants?
no

Is the grow substrate constantly wet or moist?
slightly moist up until watering

Is your water HARD or SOFT?
hard

What water are you using? Reverse Osmosis (RO)? Tap? Bottled?
tap that has sat out to room temp

Well water? Distilled? Mineral Water?
city water

If using tap water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS of the water right out of the tap?(Only if you have a tds pen) shrug

If using RO,Distilled,mineral water, what is the ppm/EC/TDS without any additives?(Only if you have a tds pen)
Are you using water from a water softener?
Has plant been recently pruned, cloned or pinched?

Have any pest chemicals been used? If so what and when?
Are plant's infected with pest's?
nope

benzo

87 degrees is high. optimal temperature is 78 degrees.. try and lower your temps and see if that helps.

thanks. I've been trying to get a decent temp in there but it's near a wall with no insulation so I'm battling the annoying cold outside and put a little space heater there. I'll turn it down some and see what happens.

Norkali

Have you been foliar feeding? I see what looks like salt built-up on the tops of the leaves...

unintentionally. I'll make a note of that. first try growing anything for that matter. is it good to water the leaves or just the soil?

Norkali

unintentionally. I'll make a note of that. first try growing anything for that matter. is it good to water the leaves or just the soil?

Just the soil - if you've been watering the leaves with water w/ nutrients in it that's probably where a lot of your problems are coming from.

S

shitabyss

Fix temp/rh to 72-78f/60%+. RH can't be where it is now for veg. That's what's most likely causing your problems.

Soil mix looks unfinished. Looks like you don't have enough oxygen in your root zone as well.

Wipe all that white salt accumulation off the leaves. Plants don't like salt.

Tinker with your watering frequency to see if you can fix the droopyness if your plants.

Get rid of your intake fan and run your exhaust 24/7. What's happening now is you don't have properly channeled air flow to get rid of the heat that dissipates from the cfl's.

Also, it is bagseed you're dealing with. There's a chance that the seeds you got were from a not-so-good strain. Even in ideal environmental conditions, your genetics might still not thrive.

C

cyberwax

Solution to this issue would be, in my eyes: stop watering for a while and let em dry up.

B.C.

Non Conformist
Veteran
I agree, too warm, and too much water. It might help to make more holes around the bottom of yer pots. Roots love air. 30% perlite next time would be a good idea too. Good luck! BC

blahman

Looks like too much water to me, but also looks like a bit too much food as well. Some pretty dark leaves there for their size.

Fix temp/rh to 72-78f/60%+. RH can't be where it is now for veg. That's what's most likely causing your problems.

Soil mix looks unfinished. Looks like you don't have enough oxygen in your root zone as well.

Wipe all that white salt accumulation off the leaves. Plants don't like salt.

Tinker with your watering frequency to see if you can fix the droopyness if your plants.

Get rid of your intake fan and run your exhaust 24/7. What's happening now is you don't have properly channeled air flow to get rid of the heat that dissipates from the cfl's.

Also, it is bagseed you're dealing with. There's a chance that the seeds you got were from a not-so-good strain. Even in ideal environmental conditions, your genetics might still not thrive.

thanks for the info. I wasn't aware the humidity had to be higher. initially I had it at that range then was reading some documents and saw pictures with people who had it at the spot I was around.

should the humidity be low when it's in flowering?

should I just use a damp paper towel to wipe the salt accumulation from the leaves?

also I am germinating 12 more seeds now so I can have a do over heh.

also I'm about to do something about the bottom of the pots to allow more oxygen flow.

thanks again for the tips!

S

shitabyss

should the humidity be low when it's in flowering?

Yep. Try and aim for 60%+ in veg and 30-40% in flower.

should I just use a damp paper towel to wipe the salt accumulation from the leaves?

That'll do; Something clean/sterile.

NP :)

kerlito:
I lowered the temp in there. (lots of tinkering) raised the humidity, watered less, allowed for proper drainage of water, rigged up a yeast/sugar bottle for some extra CO2, and transplanted into a better soil (50% miracle grow potting mix, 35% vermiculite, 15% perlite, and a scoop of a mycorrhizae mix with bone meal and other things)

so far so good. changed the lights over to 12/12 with 6 100watt(23w) 2600K CFL's 4 days ago. waiting for the gender. if it's a dude that's fine. at least I have a better idea what I'm doing. I germinated 12 more seeds in a computer case setup with the good soil. they seem to be doing well. after this bowl(if I'm not to lazy) I'll snap some pictures.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Ahh yeah! its good to see somebody get help and have results! More drainage is your friend and less is more in the nutrient department, and miracle gro may have some time release ferts in the soil so do watch out for possible build up. Great to see more people growing their own meds. NS

keeps sprouting little branches

keeps sprouting little branches

it keeps sprouting little branches. I think it's happier now (yuck still don't know the gender)
here's a today shoot.
AEAYE.jpg

aYD4Y.jpg

P4fZs.jpg

just my opinion.

they're preflowering. yay! (maybe.....)

they're preflowering. yay! (maybe.....)

so I switched over the lighting and the one seems to be delighted. but I'm not exactly certain of the gender yet. I see things but not sure yet. none of the nodes on the plants have more than one little things at the intersecting branches so I'm not exactly sure at this point? do you know?
7iaq8.jpg

but I have my setup down. a box for vegging and one for flowering so if it were to be a male there's some little ones excited to take it's place.
0yoN2.jpg

any expertise would be beneficial. thanks.

Latest posts

Latest posts