What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what to do when it rains

P

painroad

With more rain in the forecast for next weekend for all of us nor cal growers, what does everybody do? Last week i was pretty lucky as the rain was mild, but as the girls start packing weight on these last few weeks, little concerned about this next storm to come. Do i just let em get soaked and fall over from the weight from water? I saw some of the pvc hoops over some gardens with clear plastic, but will that trap moisture in the garden and do damage? Dam weather why can't it just hold off a few more weeks!!!!! Feel free to chime in if you have ideas

painroad

cave

ya a hoop house will trap moisture if you use a hoop house you will need some sort of ventilation or just dont cover then all the way you just need to stop the rain from sitting on the plants so some sort of roof i seen nomad used theses last year

View attachment 77571

i used a hoop house last year which you can see in ssh grow but did not have ventilation so i had to much moisture build up and started to mold this year i just covered the roof and a few feet down the side seems to be fine no mold yet with about 2 or three weeks to go

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
exactly, just make a roof leaving the lower parts of the walls and the end of the hop house open. if possible use local wind patterns to your advantage, i.e. face the open ends towards the direction where you get the most wind. maybe a few chimneys at the highest points of the hops house will increase air movement. any pics?

P

painroad

Thx for the response ya i'm gonna have to figure something out, sucks cuz my garden is 4 hrs away at my moms so i can't be there to cover and shit. I don't want to bother my mom any more, i'm already pushing it with her having to water and what not. Hope the weather holds, if worse case i get some soggy buds only time will tell. :canabis:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Hey painroad

I been growing a while and im here to argue that the rain isnt going to hurt your plants at all - that is, as long as it doesnt make them fall over. I would make sure they were staked up, but i mean unless your looking at 4-6-9" of rain then you dont have anything to worry about.

I should probably preface that advice with the understanding that its an outdoor strain and not "big bud" or something that requires a humidity level in the single digits and who's stems cant support the vegetation growing on the plant...

P

painroad

Right on, the strain is hindu kush skunk and is really mold resistant, i'm up in cali in the higher elevation and the humidity is real low 20-30%. So you think just tying them up will be good? It says showers in the forecast so nothing to bad. Thanks for chimming in always good to hear other peoples opinions.:tiphat:

maui454

I am in southern Oregon and the rain has me concerned as well. All I have been doing is shaking the excess water off and so far so good. My plants seem to like the rain. But I can't afford a mold problem. I have strains that have been grown in the Oregon climate for years so maybe they are use to the weather.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
I would spray them now with some Eagle20EW to ward off any future mold/mildew problems.

I am starting to manufacture canopies for you guys this winter that will have a vented greenhouse plastic roof, and the outside covered in camouflage netting to make them less visible and keep bugs out. I'm trying to decide how big they should be though, the initial offering for big plants will probably be roughly box-shaped and 5 feet square. How's that sound?

Meds215

eagle20ew will do nothing for mold, its for powdery mildew, plus dude hes like 5 weeks into flower are you trying to kill the poor guy
eagle is to be used at first sign of flowering
or up until the first week no later
that stuff is gnarly man
i use it and love it but wouldn't use it this far into flowering

Xtensity

Depends on how "mold resistant" your plant is... what ever causes that initially.

When my plants where near harvest it rained about 1 hour every single day of heavy rain for like 2 weeks straight... didn't see mold till like 3 weeks after it happened when it happen to rain at a different time of the day. (sorry, forgot when this was lol).

I think mold forming is a lot dependant on if the sun is out to evaporate the water after the rain.

If you can just go spray your plants with striaght undiluted %3 hydrogen peroxide(it comes diluted to %3 at most stores, unless you grab food grade, which you may need to dilute your own if you're plants are big).

Just spray the buds with it after the rain and itll prevent a large portion of mold from forming.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
hey again painroad

Im in Kentucky and we generally get about 1" of rain per week and our daytime humidity runs around 60% daily,(we're having drought this year). Point is, almost every year our budded weed gets considerable rainfall. Botryitis is a real threat around here, but its usually not a problem unless the strain is very succeptable.

Hindu Kush is a hardy strain and will survive without harm - several days of consecutive rainfall and cloudiness without any problems.

About 4 yhrs ago in late sept and due to the remnants of a hurricane, we recieved 15" of rainfall over a 6 day period. I was growing Sensi star, GH White widow, c99 ,and kc33 outdoors. None of the strains were damaged by that amount of rainfall and all plants were 6 weeks or more into flower. I harvested a bunch of good weed about 2 weeks later.