What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

more about bud rot

• Thread starter driftersmokinjo
  • Start date
D

driftersmokinjo

i have searched for many hours and cant find the answer to my question about greencure. i have read that you can use it up till the day of harvest. my question is can you spray your buds with green cure about a week before harvest to help prevent bud mold during the drying process in a humid outdoor environment? like under a tarp. the cool rainy season will be here during harvest and it will have to be done outdoors. we have greencure that has been used to combat pm. but hate to put anything on budds. this is my first rodeo with drying out doors. i have fans but just want to take precautions. blowing wet air on wet buds cant be a good thing.

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
Ive used GC for about 3 years for different things.

First off, Greencure tastes bad on the plant in my opinion and it makes me cough, so i dont use it unless i wash the buds. i just have a tub of water and after ive manicured the bud, i soak it in water for a few minutes to disolve any undisolved GC.

I have a rule that says i dont use it within 30 days of probable harvest. Others may feel differently, but personally, i wouldnt put it on weed that i was about to harvest. Might be just me.

T

tonto

First off, Greencure tastes bad on the plant in my opinion and it makes me cough, so i dont use it unless i wash the buds. i just have a tub of water and after ive manicured the bud, i soak it in water for a few minutes to disolve any undisolved GC.

some one mentioned this in the large plants thread but with a similar product kaligreen(?) they said the key was to mix it very well and use it immediately.

Nationwide

Ive used GC for about 3 years for different things.

I have a rule that says i dont use it within 30 days of probable harvest. Others may feel differently, but personally, i wouldnt put it on weed that i was about to harvest. Might be just me.

Really.....wash your bud in a tub of water after manicuring?...WOW

Thats amazing...had no idea you could..

Really.....wash your bud in a tub of water after manicuring?...WOW

Thats amazing...had no idea you could..

Me neither and when I first read that he does this, my jaw literally dropped:jawdrop: but D.S. Toker writes some good stuff so I don't know what to think:laughing:

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
I discovered this about 2 years ago Nationwide/straintester. I had some weed that was almost unsmokable. It was full of tar and harsh. You know, the kind of weed that leaves tar on your teeth and lips and causes you to wheeze and hack when you smoke it? Well, a buddy convinced me that if i took the dried buds and soaked them, i could remove much of the nasty stuff in the weed. I took a few buds, soaked them in tepid water for 15 minutes and the results were amazing.

THC is not water soluble at all. It can be knocked off of a plant if your too rough, but a gentle soaking has no impact at all on potency. Zero. None. It improves taste and smoothness dramatically.

It also allows me to use some pesticides and fungicides that are really pretty strong as long as they are water soluble. If the treatment is water soluble, then i can remove it from my bud if im concerned.

Its basically modified water curing. There are whole threads on the topic in the harvesting and curing section of ICmag. Below are some test buds i did last week after treatment of my plants with Liquid Copper. No cemical taste - good potency.

picture.php

Take a walk on the wild side guys. After harvest, take a couple of good buds and soak them in tepid water for 20 minutes, drain and dry. Then take a couple of normal buds of the same weed and twist up the 3 or 4 joints from each of the buds. Smoke one, then smoke the other. You will be converts.

Its certainly an interesting concept. I just don't know enough about it and would have to experiment on it to find out for myself.
This I am going to be able to do since I did spray ONE of my plants with some defender. It was one plant that I lightly misted in the middle to stop the septoria from spreading to my other plants. Well I am not proud for using this but it did work and nipped the disease in the butt and my others are not the least bit infected.
The others might not have been infected but I didn't want to take that chance.
SO with this one plant, I am going to check this idea out D.S. and let you know what i think of it.
NOTE: I suppose I have extra concern since I make canna butter with my trim meaning that there would be an oil base soaking up any left over chemical residue and then digested.This DOES concern me.

Xtensity

@D.S. Toker. MD

The last time I suggested even soaking in %3 H2O2 before drying(to kill any PM or Bud Rot) I was told it was a stupid idea..... H2O2 actually kills the mold and bud rot and prevents more from growing... why would water be any safer than H2O2? I'm confused.

D

driftersmokinjo

thanks for the replys fellaz. your post have given me more useful knowledge. not really the answers i was looking for but useful none the less.i plan to spray greencure a week before harvest then remove limbs from main stalk and hang under a canvas tarp with 2 18" fans blowing air around. but im not to sure that is a good idea since the greencure will still be on the buds unless it rains after i spray. maybe i will do a test run on a few and see what happens and post my results. now for the new problem :noway:. went to check on things today and as i was lookin up at 1 cola i see a brown spot about half way up the bud. when i pulled it closer to have a look see i dig in and find worm has taken up homestead in my bud and is wreaking havoc. i have seen this before and dread what is to come. in the past i just go over all buds every few days and pluck out the worm and bad bud. only problems is i dont end up with much bud. i am pretty sure they came from moths but dont have a clue what to put on them to deter the moths and kill the worms. but now i know to look for something water soluble and give the buds a dunk in water before hanging. but this will defeet the greencure theory :wallbash: soooooooooo do you fellaz have any ideas how to combat the bud worms ?

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
"THC is not water soluble at all"

Search water curing.

D.S. Toker is right on the money, THC is not water soluble so you can wash your buds gently and not suffer any significant trichome loss.

I've water cured a lot of weed for various reasons (battling aphids, whiteflies in late bloom and used Safer Soap/ Neem oil/ Pyretherin oil, windy/dusty conditions in late bloom, etc) and while it will decrease the aroma and taste of your weed, it does not significantly affect the potency. For some folks, it's a plus because it can help reduce the "pot" smell of the smoke and that's good in public situations.

Please notice my liberal use of the word "significant" in this post and remember YMMV.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
@D.S. Toker. MD

The last time I suggested even soaking in %3 H2O2 before drying(to kill any PM or Bud Rot) I was told it was a stupid idea..... H2O2 actually kills the mold and bud rot and prevents more from growing... why would water be any safer than H2O2? I'm confused.

I'm not certain if this is a good idea or not, but here's the difference between H20 and H202. The extra oxygen molecule makes peroxide an oxidizer (think Oxyclean, Potassium Permanganate, etc.) and oxidizers attack and destroy organic material.

I have no idea if THC or trichomes are hurt by the oxidization process or are soluble by oxidation, but my gut says it's not a good idea.

After I harvest this winter, I'll try to remember to test some bud with H202 and see what happens. If it works, it could be an awesome solution to cleaning up your bud!

If you've ever looked at bud grown outdoor under significant magnification, there's a world of shit all over the buds you smoke and those views can be littered with dead aphids, whiteflies, mites, sand, dirt etc, etc.

At the very least I would expect the process to have some negative effects on the terpanoids that contribute to the taste/smell/bag appeal, but it's still worth experimenting with in my mind.

As an aside, I routinely use potassium permanganate in my fish ponds to reduce the organic load and knock down the parasite populations. At the proper known dosages, this chemical that can be very dangerous to any living creature can be used very successfully as a maintenance tool to keep the water healthy.

There are those fish keepers that would disagree with me, but my years of experience with this chemical make me fairly certain that they are wrong. If nothing else, the fact that my fish are going on 5 years old and apparently very healthy makes me confident in that assertion.

D

driftersmokinjo

thanks for the replys fellaz. your post have given me more useful knowledge. not really the answers i was looking for but useful none the less.i plan to spray greencure a week before harvest then remove limbs from main stalk and hang under a canvas tarp with 2 18" fans blowing air around. but im not to sure that is a good idea since the greencure will still be on the buds unless it rains after i spray. maybe i will do a test run on a few and see what happens and post my results. now for the new problem :noway:. went to check on things today and as i was lookin up at 1 cola i see a brown spot about half way up the bud. when i pulled it closer to have a look see i dig in and find worm has taken up homestead in my bud and is wreaking havoc. i have seen this before and dread what is to come. in the past i just go over all buds every few days and pluck out the worm and bad bud. only problems is i dont end up with much bud. i am pretty sure they came from moths but dont have a clue what to put on them to deter the moths and kill the worms. but now i know to look for something water soluble and give the buds a dunk in water before hanging. but this will defeet the greencure theory :wallbash: soooooooooo do you fellaz have any ideas how to combat the bud worms ?
bump

E

el dub

I'm wondering if a quick water rinse of a few seconds might be enough to clean the surface of the flowers without absorbing too much moisture.

As for wanting to use the trim to make canna products... I would consider just rinsing the whole branch before trimming.

lw

Xtensity

I'm not certain if this is a good idea or not, but here's the difference between H20 and H202. The extra oxygen molecule makes peroxide an oxidizer (think Oxyclean, Potassium Permanganate, etc.) and oxidizers attack and destroy organic material.

I have no idea if THC or trichomes are hurt by the oxidization process or are soluble by oxidation, but my gut says it's not a good idea.

After I harvest this winter, I'll try to remember to test some bud with H202 and see what happens. If it works, it could be an awesome solution to cleaning up your bud!

If you've ever looked at bud grown outdoor under significant magnification, there's a world of shit all over the buds you smoke and those views can be littered with dead aphids, whiteflies, mites, sand, dirt etc, etc.

At the very least I would expect the process to have some negative effects on the terpanoids that contribute to the taste/smell/bag appeal, but it's still worth experimenting with in my mind.

As an aside, I routinely use potassium permanganate in my fish ponds to reduce the organic load and knock down the parasite populations. At the proper known dosages, this chemical that can be very dangerous to any living creature can be used very successfully as a maintenance tool to keep the water healthy.

There are those fish keepers that would disagree with me, but my years of experience with this chemical make me fairly certain that they are wrong. If nothing else, the fact that my fish are going on 5 years old and apparently very healthy makes me confident in that assertion.

It's not pure H202... %3 dilution. You can spray it directly on your bud and your bud will be fine. I use it all the time for powderly mildew treatment.

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
It's not pure H202... %3 dilution. You can spray it directly on your bud and your bud will be fine. I use it all the time for powderly mildew treatment.

Sorry for not being more specific, I was talking about 3% dilution like you get at the drugstore/supermarket.

If you have access to beauty supplies or food grade hydrogen peroxide, you can often get it at around a 27% solution and dilute it down to 3-5%, making an even cheaper way to go.

If you've tried it and say it's safe, then you have much more experience than I do regarding MJ. I just know that 32 oz of 3% H2O2 will clear up my 6,000 gallon pond after a 6 hour potassium permanganate treatment and that is amazing to me.

Xtensity

Sorry for not being more specific, I was talking about 3% dilution like you get at the drugstore/supermarket.

If you have access to beauty supplies or food grade hydrogen peroxide, you can often get it at around a 27% solution and dilute it down to 3-5%, making an even cheaper way to go.

If you've tried it and say it's safe, then you have much more experience than I do regarding MJ. I just know that 32 oz of 3% H2O2 will clear up my 6,000 gallon pond after a 6 hour potassium peroxide treatment and that is amazing to me.

Well I'll have to try it on some buds in the future, not my whole crop though.. just to see how it goes. For me recently my grows haven't been too large so I haven't needed a bottle of 35%.... large scale grows would require dilution of 35% for effective money use though.

I would try it on some test buds first so I don't ruin my whole crop :p. I might grow a plant specifically for PM testing, dunno yet for a few months.

Mind if I ask about potassium peroxide? You confused me when you threw that in there. What do you mean h2o2 to clear it up after a 6 hour Potassium Peroxide treatment?

Scrogerman

Veteran
Anybody tried a product called 'BudRotStop', think Hydrogarden make the shit, never tried it myself but hear good things, not many on IC though. Supposedly forces mold spores to germinate/bloom or whatever they do & then forms a barrier against further attacks/outbreaks, its expensive for a little bottle, but if it does what it says on the tin, may well be the one also. Anyone?

Dawn Patrol

Veteran
Xtensity, its potassium permanganate, not potassium peroxide (sorry, I was tired as hell when I posted that, edited the original post to fix the error) and it is some pretty serious shit. Requires a hazmat waiver before you purchase it and if you don't know what you are doing you can screw up a lot of stuff including yourself.

However, handled safely and at known dosages (You must know the volume of water you are treating and you must have a gram scale to create a precise ppm solution) it can be a very valuable tool in a fish keepers arsenal.

Without going into excruciating detail, any pond or large closed system with a fish load will over time build up a level of organic matter ranging from feces to algae to parasites. As long as a healthy balance is maintained, the fish are fine, but when the balance tips in the wrong direction, fish become parasite laden and their health begins to suffer.

Potassium permanganate AT THE PROPER DOSAGES is a powerful oxidizer that burns up organic material in the water and regenerates the water making it a healthier environment for the fish when used regularly. When the PP is spent, the water has quite a bit of dead organic matter on top and in suspension and is a tannic brown color and that is where the Hydrogen Peroxide comes in. One 32oz bottle of 3% H2O2 can clear my 6,000 gallon pond in about an hour. Makes the water clear and burns up the dead organic matter. It is also useful in ridding a pond of certain types of algae as well as being an emergency source of oxygen for fish should there be a power failure.

I don't suffer from PM very often, but I'm wondering how effective it would be against aphids and whiteflies. Not sure if their exoskeleton would protect them from the oxidization process or not, or if the dosage strong enough to kill them would harm the plant.

If trichomes are not affected by the oxidation process, then it could be a fantastic tool to clean your bud of any organic nasties (and if you think there are none on your bud, check it out under a microscope some time) that may be there. As I said before, the only drawback I can think of is that it would probably have a negative effect on the aroma and flavor of your bud.

I'll try to remember to play around with it a little during the harvest this winter.

Latest posts

Latest posts