What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

sulfur burner question

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
i was just curious, i have run into a PM problem, i have 2 rooms with 140 plants and i just dont think it would be practical to use spray of any kind, so im lookin into sulfur burners.

my questions are simple;

how effective are sulfer burners?

how often do i have to use it? per week? hours?

how big of a room is one sulfer burner good for?

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
they are 100% preventative effective. Now that you have PM it will be a fight for the sulphur to win. You use them when the lights are off for 2 hours every night. If you have a 24 hour veg it is fine when lights are on. you put a small amount of sulphur like 15 to 20 pebbles or so. I have not had pm since using a burner.
it would be good to spray with neem oil as well.
Eagle 20EW is another good preventative product but needs to be used in veg cycle.
a dehumidifier helps if you don't have one.

B. Friendly

"IBIUBU" Sayeith the Dude
Veteran
good idea to turn the burner off for the last week of flower if no PM, for flavour reasons.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well i just baught a sulfer burner and was wondering when i run the sulfer burner during the dark cycle, should i leave the fans running? or shut them off?

by burner didnt come with any instructions

J

jasondanzig

One sulfur burner is capable of treating up to 1000 cu. ft

DO NOT use a sulfur burner around plants that have been sprayed with any type of oil-based products within the last 30 days or the plants will burn.

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
so just to be sure(because i was told diff from diff ppl), i have no intake or exhaust, but my oscillating fans, should i leave my oscillating fans going? i was told to leave the oscilating fans going to push the sulfur fumes around

J

jasondanzig

i have no intake or exhaust,

140 plants with no intake or exhaust, thats asking for problems. put in an intake and exhaust. a air filter on the intake and a carbon scruber for the exhaust. the intake and exhaust should be off when the sulfur burner is running. after the sulfur burner has been running for "X" amount of time, the air should be exhausted.

you can leave your oscillating fans on

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
in a cge i dont need any intake or exhaust, thats just what it is, a Closed Growing Environment

but thx for the help with the sulfer burner, much apreciated

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
well, PM is no longer an issue thx to my burner but i just have one more question.

i have a case of thrips, and was wondering how effective it is to use a sulfer burner against thrips, i have 3 weeks left till i cut and then i plan to clean and disinfect the whole room and bomb it with some dr doom.

i got this from the web site about my burner:

The ideal instrument to overcome common diseases of plants.

Ideal for medium to large grow rooms and greenhouses. One sulfur burner is capable of treating up to 1000 cu. ft. These are the same type of units used by commercial greenhouse growers all over the world, and it is your best defense against fungus and mildews such as powdery mildew, downey mildew, botrytis (gray mold) and many others.

How it works: The sulfur vapors change the pH on the surface of the plant causing the environment to be unsuitable for fungal growth. The same pH change will significantly slow the reproduction of pests – acting as an effective means of pest control. It is very effective on most flowers and vegetables where powdery mildew and thrips are present.

Features: Heat plate is automatically regulated to ideal vaporizing temperature (140° C); quality construction - aluminum body; safe (outside is not hot to the touch).

Tips on usage: When used indoors, make sure to turn off exhaust fans and lights during operation. For preventative use, turn on the unit for 4-5 hours 2 times per week. For active infestation, turn on the unit 4-5 hours 4 times per week. DO NOT use a sulfur burner around plants that have been sprayed with any type of oil-based products within the last 30 days or the plants will burn. BGH recommends using an Off-Switcher and a 7-Day Digital Timer in conjunction with the Sulfur Vaporizer and your exhaust fans; this will help automate the application and also prevent the fans from coming on during the vaporization period. Automating the application will greatly improve your results, since most people don't have the ability to babysit the system (remembering to plug and unplug the burner and fans, etc.).

Sulfur sold separately.

but i was wondering how effective it really is?

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I don't think it works as a preventative for the thrips. It's mostly for the pm because it causes the leaves to be a basic ph which makes the pm unable to grow on the leaves. You're going to want to spray something with Spinosad in it for the thrips. I use that and neem as a preventative.

Since you're almost done. I don't think you're going to want to spray that on the flowers themselves. They're probably pretty thick by now. Tough call.

Also someone suggested earlier burning sulfur with the lights on if you run 24/0. I'm not sure where I read it. My understanding is that sulfur is light sensitive. I never burn sulfur with the lights on.

I have good air movement. Burn sulfur religously. Spray neem religously. Spinosad occasionally. Good Humidity control. I think it is very effective. No PM at all. I burn during veg every 3-4 days. Preflower every 2 days( I lay off the neem here). Flower first 3 weeks every 3 days. Then a few neem days. Every 2 days. Then back to sulfur every 3-4 days. I stop burning two-three weeks before pulling them down.

I've had no bugs for at least 2 years. I still see fungus gnats, but I will hopefully be solving that. Coco is pretty prone and the gnatrol does not get wicked up far enough in my e & f trays. Atleast that's my theory. So separate sprayer for my BT and perlite on top off all the pots. To really drench the soil and kill and larvae.

Natagonnaworrie

If you love life, don't waste time. For time is wh
Veteran
quick question.

Is it better to give your leaves a little misting before applying sufur via burner?

I was told that it helps to allow the sulfur to adhere to the leaves better this way but i #1 have never done that and seem to do pretty well and 2 not sure of the reliability of the info...

does anyway one mist their leaves before turning on their S burners? (in veg.)

thanks!

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
from what ive read says not to get the leaves wet before using the burner, otherwise when the lights come on the plants will burn and may catch on fire, dont know if its true, but i take no chances

when i had first baught my burner i set it for 12 hrs(whole dark cycle) for 3-4 days and it completely ahnialated all pm, then by lowering it to 2 hours per night kept it away.

Latest posts

Latest posts