Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > Can I get some yield estimates for this set up outdoors :)?

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
Can I get some yield estimates for this set up outdoors :)? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-09-2011, 11:05 PM #11
fukndenny
Banned

fukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nicefukndenny is just really nice
is this a guerilla grow? if so prepare to basically live out there with those small containers you'll be watering a lot.
fukndenny is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 PM #12
JOJO420

JOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really nice
My estimate is hardly anything worthwhile. As has been stated, you will be watering 2 times a day. If you do not , you will lose all your plants to drought. And you have to factor in bugs and animals. If your plants are constantly dry, the chance of getting a bug infestation just increased. Not to mention that all your roots will be cooked. I jst cannot say with any faith you will harvest anything with 2.5 gallons of soil over the long outdoor season. Good Luck, I think your gonna need it
JOJO420 is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:19 PM #13
Xtensity
Banned

Xtensity will become famous soon enough
Okay, thank you for the tips everyone. I haven't put any plants in the ground yet so it's not too late... back to my previous question though.

Would I really get more yield from 1 plant in a 20 gallon, than 10 plants in a 2 gallons each?

Also, what about disease? If I cut 10 plants for one, and that one gets some incurable disease and dies... I lose so much.. when beforehand that disease could be potentially limited to a few plants.... and how much less often would I have to water a single plant in a 20 gallon?

Also, what about 5 gallons of soil, in say the homer home depot buckets? 20 Gallons per plant is a bit of a stretch for my budget, and I'm atleast trying to grow 7 high class strains that I have germed... all the others are mids seeds :p How long could a 5 gallon go without watering on 95 degree days?
Xtensity is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 PM #14
organic P

organic P has a spectacular aura aboutorganic P has a spectacular aura aboutorganic P has a spectacular aura aboutorganic P has a spectacular aura about
fwiw: a large plant, in a 20 gallon pot, in mid summers heat, can drink up to 5 gallons a day.
organic P is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM #15
Xtensity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by organic P View Post
fwiw: a large plant, in a 20 gallon pot, in mid summers heat, can drink up to 5 gallons a day.
I'll have 3 40-50 gallon trashcans consistently filled up with water out there so access to water wont be a problem.

I am thinking of using 5 gallon buckets, how well would these hold up in comparison to the 2 gallons in terms of water usage, water requirements, yield, etc? I appreciate all advice and tips.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:50 PM #16
superbolan
Hidden among the sheeple

superbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura aboutsuperbolan has a spectacular aura about
you may wish to look into some of those polymer watering crystals
superbolan is offline Quote

Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 PM #17
.clunk

.clunk will become famous soon enough.clunk will become famous soon enough
I've grown 1/4lb plants in a 5 gallon grow bag easily and have seen people get much better results than I did. 5 gallons of soil is a little more reasonable size to grow in although you'll still need to water daily as the plant gets bigger.

My preference is always to dig holes and amend the native soil, but if you can't then using grow bags would be favorable to the buckets you mentioned. 5 Gallon grow bags are a little lower and wider, so they have a wider root mass and will be more stable in high winds and not stick out like a sore thumb. They'll also be cheaper than the buckets, unless you find a free source for those.

The only upside to the buckets that I could see is that they'd be easier to pick up and carry in case you have to move your plants to a safer location or a spot with more sun.
.clunk is offline Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 12:03 AM #18
Xtensity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbolan View Post
you may wish to look into some of those polymer watering crystals
I have a MORE than suggested amount of Rare Earth in my soil per gallon. The people at the grow store said it is just as good as water crystals and provides added benefits such as water retention throughout the structure of the plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .clunk View Post
I've grown 1/4lb plants in a 5 gallon grow bag easily and have seen people get much better results than I did. 5 gallons of soil is a little more reasonable size to grow in although you'll still need to water daily as the plant gets bigger.

My preference is always to dig holes and amend the native soil, but if you can't then using grow bags would be favorable to the buckets you mentioned. 5 Gallon grow bags are a little lower and wider, so they have a wider root mass and will be more stable in high winds and not stick out like a sore thumb. They'll also be cheaper than the buckets, unless you find a free source for those.

The only upside to the buckets that I could see is that they'd be easier to pick up and carry in case you have to move your plants to a safer location or a spot with more sun.
Can I find grow bags at any place other than a hydroponics store?

Old 06-10-2011, 12:21 AM #19
JOJO420

JOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really niceJOJO420 is just really nice
Quote:
Would I really get more yield from 1 plant in a 20 gallon, than 10 plants in a 2 gallons each?
My experience is yes. Not all the time, but most of the time. There are times and situations where 10 will out gain 1, but in this case you are better off with the 20 gallon. If you cannot water all 10, you lose all 10. If you cannot water 1 you lose 1.

Quote:
Can I find grow bags at any place other than a hydroponics store?
I have found them at Home depot, wal mart, lowes. True value stores, OSH, anD most garden center's or hardware/nursery stores

The rare earth and the polymere crystals ARE NOT a replacement for soil or soiless medium. They only help a little bit to retain moisture. In the case of a 2 gallon bag we r talking hours of moisture, not days. The pot might be a little more moist for another 4-5 hrs past what not having the rare earth would do.
Upgrade to bigger pots or grow bags or holes or whateva you can do is my recommendation.
JOJO420 is offline Quote

Old 06-10-2011, 01:02 AM #20
Xtensity
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOJO420 View Post
My experience is yes. Not all the time, but most of the time. There are times and situations where 10 will out gain 1, but in this case you are better off with the 20 gallon. If you cannot water all 10, you lose all 10. If you cannot water 1 you lose 1.

I have found them at Home depot, wal mart, lowes. True value stores, OSH, anD most garden center's or hardware/nursery stores

The rare earth and the polymere crystals ARE NOT a replacement for soil or soiless medium. They only help a little bit to retain moisture. In the case of a 2 gallon bag we r talking hours of moisture, not days. The pot might be a little more moist for another 4-5 hrs past what not having the rare earth would do.
Upgrade to bigger pots or grow bags or holes or whateva you can do is my recommendation.
Hmm. Out of all the times I've been to homedepot and lowes I have never seen this grow bags. Would you be kind enough to provide me a link to what they look like?