Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Outdoors > more about bud rot

Thread Title Search
Click for great cannabis genetics at Female Seeds!
more about bud rot Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-09-2010, 07:23 AM #11
Dawn Patrol
Facts do not cease to exist just because they are ignored

Dawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtensity View Post
@D.S. Toker. MD

The last time I suggested even soaking in %3 H2O2 before drying(to kill any PM or Bud Rot) I was told it was a stupid idea..... H2O2 actually kills the mold and bud rot and prevents more from growing... why would water be any safer than H2O2? I'm confused.
I'm not certain if this is a good idea or not, but here's the difference between H20 and H202. The extra oxygen molecule makes peroxide an oxidizer (think Oxyclean, Potassium Permanganate, etc.) and oxidizers attack and destroy organic material.

I have no idea if THC or trichomes are hurt by the oxidization process or are soluble by oxidation, but my gut says it's not a good idea.

After I harvest this winter, I'll try to remember to test some bud with H202 and see what happens. If it works, it could be an awesome solution to cleaning up your bud!

If you've ever looked at bud grown outdoor under significant magnification, there's a world of shit all over the buds you smoke and those views can be littered with dead aphids, whiteflies, mites, sand, dirt etc, etc.

At the very least I would expect the process to have some negative effects on the terpanoids that contribute to the taste/smell/bag appeal, but it's still worth experimenting with in my mind.

As an aside, I routinely use potassium permanganate in my fish ponds to reduce the organic load and knock down the parasite populations. At the proper known dosages, this chemical that can be very dangerous to any living creature can be used very successfully as a maintenance tool to keep the water healthy.

There are those fish keepers that would disagree with me, but my years of experience with this chemical make me fairly certain that they are wrong. If nothing else, the fact that my fish are going on 5 years old and apparently very healthy makes me confident in that assertion.

See some of my girls

Gainesville Green - my first true love

Whats going on in my grow cab???
Dawn Patrol is offline Quote

Old 09-09-2010, 04:35 PM #12
driftersmokinjo

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftersmokinjo View Post
thanks for the replys fellaz. your post have given me more useful knowledge. not really the answers i was looking for but useful none the less.i plan to spray greencure a week before harvest then remove limbs from main stalk and hang under a canvas tarp with 2 18" fans blowing air around. but im not to sure that is a good idea since the greencure will still be on the buds unless it rains after i spray. maybe i will do a test run on a few and see what happens and post my results. now for the new problem . went to check on things today and as i was lookin up at 1 cola i see a brown spot about half way up the bud. when i pulled it closer to have a look see i dig in and find worm has taken up homestead in my bud and is wreaking havoc. i have seen this before and dread what is to come. in the past i just go over all buds every few days and pluck out the worm and bad bud. only problems is i dont end up with much bud. i am pretty sure they came from moths but dont have a clue what to put on them to deter the moths and kill the worms. but now i know to look for something water soluble and give the buds a dunk in water before hanging. but this will defeet the greencure theory soooooooooo do you fellaz have any ideas how to combat the bud worms ?
bump

Old 09-09-2010, 04:51 PM #13
el dub

I'm wondering if a quick water rinse of a few seconds might be enough to clean the surface of the flowers without absorbing too much moisture.

As for wanting to use the trim to make canna products... I would consider just rinsing the whole branch before trimming.

lw

Old 09-10-2010, 12:35 AM #14
Xtensity
Banned

Xtensity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
I'm not certain if this is a good idea or not, but here's the difference between H20 and H202. The extra oxygen molecule makes peroxide an oxidizer (think Oxyclean, Potassium Permanganate, etc.) and oxidizers attack and destroy organic material.

I have no idea if THC or trichomes are hurt by the oxidization process or are soluble by oxidation, but my gut says it's not a good idea.

After I harvest this winter, I'll try to remember to test some bud with H202 and see what happens. If it works, it could be an awesome solution to cleaning up your bud!

If you've ever looked at bud grown outdoor under significant magnification, there's a world of shit all over the buds you smoke and those views can be littered with dead aphids, whiteflies, mites, sand, dirt etc, etc.

At the very least I would expect the process to have some negative effects on the terpanoids that contribute to the taste/smell/bag appeal, but it's still worth experimenting with in my mind.

As an aside, I routinely use potassium permanganate in my fish ponds to reduce the organic load and knock down the parasite populations. At the proper known dosages, this chemical that can be very dangerous to any living creature can be used very successfully as a maintenance tool to keep the water healthy.

There are those fish keepers that would disagree with me, but my years of experience with this chemical make me fairly certain that they are wrong. If nothing else, the fact that my fish are going on 5 years old and apparently very healthy makes me confident in that assertion.

It's not pure H202... %3 dilution. You can spray it directly on your bud and your bud will be fine. I use it all the time for powderly mildew treatment.
Xtensity is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 06:55 AM #15
Dawn Patrol

Dawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant futureDawn Patrol has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtensity View Post
It's not pure H202... %3 dilution. You can spray it directly on your bud and your bud will be fine. I use it all the time for powderly mildew treatment.
Sorry for not being more specific, I was talking about 3% dilution like you get at the drugstore/supermarket.

If you have access to beauty supplies or food grade hydrogen peroxide, you can often get it at around a 27% solution and dilute it down to 3-5%, making an even cheaper way to go.

If you've tried it and say it's safe, then you have much more experience than I do regarding MJ. I just know that 32 oz of 3% H2O2 will clear up my 6,000 gallon pond after a 6 hour potassium permanganate treatment and that is amazing to me.

See some of my girls

Old 09-14-2010, 12:54 PM #16
Xtensity
Banned

Xtensity will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawn Patrol View Post
Sorry for not being more specific, I was talking about 3% dilution like you get at the drugstore/supermarket.

If you have access to beauty supplies or food grade hydrogen peroxide, you can often get it at around a 27% solution and dilute it down to 3-5%, making an even cheaper way to go.

If you've tried it and say it's safe, then you have much more experience than I do regarding MJ. I just know that 32 oz of 3% H2O2 will clear up my 6,000 gallon pond after a 6 hour potassium peroxide treatment and that is amazing to me.
Well I'll have to try it on some buds in the future, not my whole crop though.. just to see how it goes. For me recently my grows haven't been too large so I haven't needed a bottle of 35%.... large scale grows would require dilution of 35% for effective money use though.

I would try it on some test buds first so I don't ruin my whole crop :P. I might grow a plant specifically for PM testing, dunno yet for a few months.

Mind if I ask about potassium peroxide? You confused me when you threw that in there. What do you mean h2o2 to clear it up after a 6 hour Potassium Peroxide treatment?
Xtensity is offline Quote

Old 09-14-2010, 01:01 PM #17
Scrogerman

Scrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really niceScrogerman is just really nice
Anybody tried a product called 'BudRotStop', think Hydrogarden make the shit, never tried it myself but hear good things, not many on IC though. Supposedly forces mold spores to germinate/bloom or whatever they do & then forms a barrier against further attacks/outbreaks, its expensive for a little bottle, but if it does what it says on the tin, may well be the one also. Anyone?

Old 09-15-2010, 05:46 AM #18
Dawn Patrol

Xtensity, its potassium permanganate, not potassium peroxide (sorry, I was tired as hell when I posted that, edited the original post to fix the error) and it is some pretty serious shit. Requires a hazmat waiver before you purchase it and if you don't know what you are doing you can screw up a lot of stuff including yourself.

However, handled safely and at known dosages (You must know the volume of water you are treating and you must have a gram scale to create a precise ppm solution) it can be a very valuable tool in a fish keepers arsenal.

Without going into excruciating detail, any pond or large closed system with a fish load will over time build up a level of organic matter ranging from feces to algae to parasites. As long as a healthy balance is maintained, the fish are fine, but when the balance tips in the wrong direction, fish become parasite laden and their health begins to suffer.

Potassium permanganate AT THE PROPER DOSAGES is a powerful oxidizer that burns up organic material in the water and regenerates the water making it a healthier environment for the fish when used regularly. When the PP is spent, the water has quite a bit of dead organic matter on top and in suspension and is a tannic brown color and that is where the Hydrogen Peroxide comes in. One 32oz bottle of 3% H2O2 can clear my 6,000 gallon pond in about an hour. Makes the water clear and burns up the dead organic matter. It is also useful in ridding a pond of certain types of algae as well as being an emergency source of oxygen for fish should there be a power failure.

I don't suffer from PM very often, but I'm wondering how effective it would be against aphids and whiteflies. Not sure if their exoskeleton would protect them from the oxidization process or not, or if the dosage strong enough to kill them would harm the plant.

If trichomes are not affected by the oxidation process, then it could be a fantastic tool to clean your bud of any organic nasties (and if you think there are none on your bud, check it out under a microscope some time) that may be there. As I said before, the only drawback I can think of is that it would probably have a negative effect on the aroma and flavor of your bud.

I'll try to remember to play around with it a little during the harvest this winter.

See some of my girls