What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Browning on my first set of real leaves.

BEEFQUAKE

picture.php

This plant was treated poorly since day one. It was left in a humidity dome for too long but somehow it's still alive. It became very moist and her sisters died. I'm doing my best to keep this one alive.

This brown coloration does not hint at a fungal issue caused by the humidity dome being on too long. My first reaction when I see things like this is a viral issue. Any ideas?

T

Teddybrae

Hard to say from a distance ... but the marking is typical of too much root moisture. Fungus' and virus' are thoughts too far at this stage. Frankly I think that if your plant has survived this far then for sure it will survive.

Assume you have taken it out of the humidity. Don't be afraid to water and feed if yr grow material is well drained. Make sure yr grow material is draining well. Needs plenty of light now ...

Good Luck ...

It is getting worse after 24hours, what is in your medium? And are you feeding anything?

I like to take off any humidity done once my seedlings have broken soil, I really only keep it on for the germination stage which I also do in soil.

BEEFQUAKE

At the moment they are in a very loose organic seed starter mix by the company Espoma. It is peat moss, perlite, peat humus, earthworm castings, and limestone (for pH). I have been adding pure water because it should have everything it needs for early life already.

BEEFQUAKE

The humidity dome is off, but was used durring a stint of 40% humidity we had recently. It is no longer get a factor in this issue, but may be the original cause.

Then current humidity is sitting around 55% and the temperature is in the low 70s fahrenheit.

BEEFQUAKE

Tap. pH around 6.8 which I admit is a bit higher than ideal, but not drastically out of control. It is at about 150-200 ppm (but I hardly trust my cheap meter).

That pH is ok. I don't like using tap for seedlings just starting off but that's me. Especially hard water, which is what you have. Do you have a Reverse osmosis system? Or any filter system?

I would try that first. It looks like the plant is burned, but I can't be certain. I don't know how that soil mix performs.
For starting seeds I like to use promix, just peat, perlite, dolomite + mycos. Nice and basic to start em.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Startmix is too rich?
I had a similar problem.

I even had it in my amended outdoor holes. Plagued me for 2 months. Just too aggressive with nutes.

BEEFQUAKE

picture.php

The good news is that she is showing new growth. That's definitely a good sign. The bad news is that the browning issue is steadily getting worse. I've decided to let the soil dry out completely before watering again. I believe being too moist is to blame. Opinions are still welcome.

BEEFQUAKE

Leaf development is obviously stunted. They are small and the browning is progressing. I wish I could say I learned from this, but I'm still not 100% sure what the cause is.

So I made a difficult decision to basically sacrifice this plant in the name of science. I'm about to try a DWC for the first time. I'm sure it will go poorly. So I decided to use this plant as a test, because if I'm going to screw up a plant it might as well be one that's already screwed up.