What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mass Grass 2018

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Oh, to live where one can plant at at home, right in the garden, with no hassles. Hope I live to see that day in this neck of the woods.

Sure am tired of wading through swamp and mud, getting bitten by nasty bugs, and sneaking about like a criminal, just to raise some plants for my own personal use. This picture put me in a melancholy mood. The law is indeed an ass.

@zeez is throwin down this year :biggrin: Beautiful plants :plant grow: and lovely genes :bigeye::headbange

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Thanks.

The small white pots are getting transferred to 10 gallon pots like the round one on the back row right side. Ten gallons is about a bag of potting soil. Hopefully those will be big enough for the season. The others are 5 and 7 gallon square pots. I've been growing indoors and new to outdoor. Last year was the first try outdoors and I got wiped out by mold in September.

'Boogieman'

Thanks.

The small white pots are getting transferred to 10 gallon pots like the round one on the back row right side. Ten gallons is about a bag of potting soil. Hopefully those will be big enough for the season. The others are 5 and 7 gallon square pots. I've been growing indoors and new to outdoor. Last year was the first try outdoors and I got wiped out by mold in September.

You have decent sized plants, and about now through august they will explode with growth. You might want to consider bigger containers, 10 gallon will rootbound faster, need more juice, dry out faster and overall be harder on your roots especially in the heat. If you do go 10 gallon maybe bury the pots it would be much better for your roots.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You have decent sized plants, and about now through august they will explode with growth. You might want to consider bigger containers, 10 gallon will rootbound faster, need more juice, dry out faster and overall be harder on your roots especially in the heat. If you do go 10 gallon maybe bury the pots it would be much better for your roots.

Thanks Boogieman, How big are you thinking 15, 20? Will root bound require cause damage or just require more supplements & maintenance. I could put them in the ground there but the topsoil isn't very deep. The Coast of Maine soil used really made them go.

'Boogieman'

Thanks Boogieman, How big are you thinking 15, 20? Will root bound require cause damage or just require more supplements & maintenance. I could put them in the ground there but the topsoil isn't very deep. The Coast of Maine soil used really made them go.

15-20 gallon should be good, I honestly believe 10's would work too but in my experience big plants in smaller pots are not as healthy. Lower leaves yellow off faster, and pluck off too easily, the stretch doesn't fill out like it should, more feeding which doesn't always help. This is less of an issue in air pots except the more feeding/watering aspect.

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Appreciate it.

I'm going for 12 legal trees.:biggrin:

Just ordered up some of these, 17 gallons.
$5 at HD blue ones. Homz 17 Gal. Rope Handle Tub black at the online monster.

picture.php

Last edited:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Got the mulch down and the girls seem very happy. Still have to start tying branches where I want them but will get that done this week. Hoping for some afternoon thunderstorms tomorrow because I prefer not to water with my shitty tap water. Also gotta spray some thuricide this week, damn gypsy moths aren't getting me this year!

picture.php

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
I can already see the growth from your last pic. They're growing fast!

Looking good.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
OG Man what kind of mulch is that?

Its some kind of heat treated hay/mulch. Got it at my local nursery, used it last year and liked it alot. By the end of the season its almost broken down and by spring it was pretty much non existent. I usually spray the mulch with whatever I am spraying the plants with neem/thuricide :tiphat:

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Just watered with @ 50 gallons of water they, haven't had any water since last Thursdays heavy down poors. With this heat they were definitely thirsty. Also had to get rid of a groundhog that had overstayed its welcome, felt pretty bad but it was starting to burrow under the house.

Happy 4th everyone :groupwave::smoke out:

AgentPothead

Just this guy, ya know?
Happy 4th! Good luck everybody in this heat. And Friday is supposed to be a downpour from my understanding. Stay safe ya'll.

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Been noticing some leaf damage last few days looks like something has been munching. I sprayed captain jacks last night at 1 1/2 oz to 1 gallon of water under and on top fully saturating the plants. Also sprayed remaining mix on the hay around each plant. Will hit with neem next week. Something tells me its not going to be as easy this year. On a brighter note have noticed tons of little frogs around lately. They eat bugs so that has to be good right?

OG_NoMan

Not Veteran
420giveaway
Japanese beetles have been chewing on ours.

The problems with Jack's like anything else is it washes off when it rains.

Unless I am mistaken, I am pretty sure that like neem oil the plant takes it into its system so there is nothing to wash off. Either way gotta do something to try to help.
Good luck

Green Squall

First kick in the balls of the season. I went to check on my plants today and this schrom clone I've been veging for the last few months was totally wilted and dead looking. I have no idea what caused this, 2 days ago it was the most healthy plant.

I had a beautiful 6 foot tall pink lotus do this to me last year. Outdoor is so unpredictable it kind of pisses me off, between bugs, mold and natural disasters it's enough to rip your hair out.

View Image

On the bright side all of my Apollo 11s are female, I got one male I will be using for a preservation project this season.

looks like a combo of a small pot and the heat/humidity we have been having the last week. I agree with you about outdoor growing though. So effin unpredictable!