What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Experiment: influence of oxygen on cure

MostlyMe

Veteran
I started a little experiment with some recently harvested Bangi Haze and Zamaldelica (one plant each). I cut in the first week of May, hang dried, then jarred and burped to 65-68% RH. Once I reached that RH, the jars were only burped quickly once every 5 days or so. The grassy smell has faded and the terpenes are getting through. Just about ready for smoking, in other words, though aromas still need to develop.

Today, I divided rougly equal amounts of BH and Z over 4 food-grade mylar bags:

I added a humidipak 62 to 2 and closed them with the built-in zip lock. I added oxygen absorber packets to the other 2, zip locked and sealed them with an iron (note: these packets remove even more oxygen than a vacuum sealer). All 4 will be stored in a basement. I will open the non-sealed regularly, let's say once a month. The humidipaks should keep the contents at about the same moisture level. As mylar is gas tight, the moisture content of the sealed, oxygen-free stuff will not change.

I have a third batch of each strain, which will be kept in jars with humidipaks while I consume them. So these will be exposed to oxygen and light when I grab some, and the storage temperature will be higher.

The point of all this is obviously to determine if oxygen makes a difference during curing and if so, whether it's for the better or the worse. Not sure yet when I will do the comparison, but I am thinking to do the first strain (whatever I am in the mood for at the time) after 6 months and keep the other one for even longer if there's any difference at all.

Anyone care to make a prediction on the outcome? :)

BerrySeal

If youre sealed, why a humipack?

My prediction, your bud comes out smelling like a used charcoal filter.

Curing isn't a moisture thing its an active conversion, like fermentation. If your going to ad random things to your jar, why not some oxidizing metals?

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Kudos to MM for trying anything different. It's all good. Let us know how it turns out.

BS, sorry for the maybe dumb question but, why would you add oxidizing metals to the cure? Thanks

MostlyMe

Veteran
If youre sealed, why a humipack?

My prediction, your bud comes out smelling like a used charcoal filter.

Curing isn't a moisture thing its an active conversion, like fermentation. If your going to ad random things to your jar, why not some oxidizing metals?

The Humipacks are only present in the bags that are opened at certain intervals to let oxygen in. Without them, the weed would dry faster than the weed in the sealed bags, which affects curing and hence make the comparison not as good. I'm trying to keep everything the same EXCEPT the presence of oxygen.

MostlyMe

Veteran
The one with just Nitrogen, (No O2) would be the best...

Because there is no oxygen to degrade THC and other compounds? I am inclined to agree, but for all we know some chemical reactions involving oxygen actually enhance potency - which we know isn't just about cannabinoids. It might be a delicate balance.

We do know Tangwena's anaerobic cob cure is supposedly doing great things (I am trying it, but have not sampled anything yet). So there's that :)