What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dual purpose walk in cooler

Anyone have any recommendations on where to start with building a walk in cooler?
I'd like a 10x12 room built in my barn. It will get 6"spray foam, white metal roofing for walls and ceiling. Building the room I'm good on.

My questions are where to find the refrigeration unit and door design for both security and insulation value??

I'd like the cooler for storing apples from our orchard, possibly hanging deer during warm hunting seasons. And when not used for those.... roughly 5 months a year- grow a crop.

bonglemonade

I have seen videos on youtube of walk in coolers using a device called a cool bot and a regular window ac. Hope this helps.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Look into wine cellar hvac units; the condensers are small & do not need to be located outside, can be put in a mechanical space.

Bath-tub your framing with 6mil poly sheeting, this is your vapor barrier that you will spray the closed cell spray foam into. Cover with sheeting, trim out thermostat controller & ur good to go.

Drop That Sound

Wow a 3 figure income gardening front yards. Thats like up to $999 right? Lol

oh dang ya that is, I guess I meant 6 haha.

Although I wouldn't mind even making an extra $999 on veggies this year.. I started lots of extra's, and got a load of 4x4 fence post rails for NFT systems.. urban backyard lettuce farming appears to be quite profitable around here.

Wow that cool bot is perfect!

Thinking this could be great dual purpose situation.

Easy to run a exhaust duct up a fake chimney through barn roof to be pretty inconspicuous for when used as a grow room

Drop That Sound

If you had a drain hole in the floor you could really get in there and wash down between uses. Just drag the pressure washer hose right in with ;)

P.S: You shouldn't really need to add ducting, just a c02 burner or tank + a dehumidifier, might as well considering you'll have the best sealed room possible anyway!

Drop That Sound

Ah I forgot to add something, RV air conditioners are already made to set on top a roof, and direct the air down.

I have 3 already laying around to mess with that I'm gonna use for my cooler, let alone the 100's I see sitting around on old trailers/motorhomes that no one cares about, just another option for ya

Yep it's a Gravel floor in that room of barn now so will be putting in a floor drain before 2"foam and concrete.

Couldn't justify it all for a grow room but should pay itself back with the apple storage. Right now we have to sell for whatever just to move them fast. With cold storage we can have time to find the better paying buyers

And it never fails I always seem to harvest deer when it's to warm to hang them outside

I'm thinking the ducting would be beneficial for getting heat out? It should be well enough insulated that the lights will heat to much when using for growing. Rather not run the a/c if in winter cold air is free

G

Gr33nSanta

I remember Curtis Stone saying fake it until you make it, he makes more money off of youtube and selling his book, a hard working smart man. Market farming requires a lot of experience or a great mentor, just a guess.

No markets for me, I'm not that much of a people person. We sell apples (specialty high Tannen varieties) wholesale to hard cider makers. Really more of a hobby than anything. I make more money per acre leasing out land to row crop farmers than I make working land for myself. The day job Funds the money pit farming hobby. I'm addicted to working- not profiting unfortunately.

Drop That Sound

My idea for a cooler was to take an old travel trailer, gut it out real quick and foam it. Slap some nicer metal siding on.

Usually if the trailer doesn't already have AC, they at least have an air vent or 2 with the same required 14" opening as most roof top ACs.

Hook up the cool bots and good to go. Gotta travel far or make a delivery? Fire up the generator and haul my mobile cooler right to the market ;)

My idea for a cooler was to take an old travel trailer, gut it out real quick and foam it. Slap some nicer metal siding on.

Usually if the trailer doesn't already have AC, they at least have an air vent or 2 with the same required 14" opening as most roof top ACs.

Hook up the cool bots and good to go. Gotta travel far or make a delivery? Fire up the generator and haul my mobile cooler right to the market ;)

That's actually a fantastic idea. Wonder if anyone's used a cool bot on those before. Sounds like they work best with a few particular a/c unis