What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

D

Dalaihempy

I am beginning my grand adventure. Im going to be using fox farms nutes and only perlite as I cannot get vermiculite. I will consider using coco and perlite if necessary my next go around but since I am totally new at this and it seems coco may not be the best medium for a new grower. I am using 5 gallon pots and I know that 3 gallon size are preferred but 5 gallon is what I have.

I am starting from bag seed and just germinated with paper towel method.

My question is when should I start adding nutes and at what strength? Some say 1/4 strength some others say full strength. I am assuming I would do a full gallon and just water until the water comes out of the bottom?

Also, I am planning on placing the germinated seed in rockwool. Can I place these directly into the 5 gallon container and if so should I expect slow initial growth until the roots reach the bottom and if someone can ball park an opinion on how long it would take the roots to reach the bottom of a 5 gallon container.

I believe conditions should be about perfect otherwise.

Thanks and appreciation for any and all time and energies shared.

hi well perlite alone works well and so does useing coco but if your going to use coco fill the rez with something like perlite or clay rocks so on up till the rez hole then fill the rest with pure coco but make sure you flush the coco realy well before you add plants and feed them me i flush 3 or 4 times after buckets are ready let it drain re flush so on then i place plants in each bucket feed with full strength nutrients basicly follow what the instructions say.

You will see growth start in a day and plants will build daily but in a week they should be well on there way my advice is place the plants your growing be it seedlings or rooted clones direct into the bucket you want to harvest in transplanting will infact slow them but thats up to you.

Im planing on doing a step by step coco grow soon and will add pics and the rest but all you realy need to follow is the basic formula iv given you all.

Use bucket tub of choice but gave a good size to run with agine your choice.

Rez should be say 2 inch from bottom of bucket.

Mediums can very from perlite / vermic ...can be coco and or coco perlte ...it can also be clay rocks or 100% perlite and so on its not just perlite/vermic.

As for nutrient strength well simple follow the instructions they give you on the nutrients.

Thank you Hempy for putting this method together and sharing it with the world. I have gotten a lot of joy from growing in "hempy buckets."

Hempyfan

Thank you Dalaihempy, my mind is at ease and I look forward to your coco pics.

I never heard of this growing method before but that is not saying anything really. After reading a good amount of grow logs, well I became a Hempy method fan and decided to try this method to break my bud cherry hehe.

Happy Hemping hehe.

T

tronald

Hey everyone, I have 3 clones currently in coco for my second grow. Would it be possible to transfer these clones to hempy buckets? If it is possible, should I try and (gently) clear the coco from the roots, or should i just throw the whole root mass in the perlite/vermiculite? Thanks in advance.

T

TheMintMan

The original hempy bukit works just fine outdoors, btw. As does the coco/perlite mix. :)

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
tronald-i would think you'd be able to toss the whole thing in the mix....and get on with it.

Lord Doobie

Looking forward to Hempy's step-by-step coco grow since coco is all the rage now :respect:
Probably save some watering, too, since coco wicks

Just for laughs,
a bucket with a hole in it? what am I missing?
Nothing...Simplicity is the true beauty of Hempy

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Does anyone use compost tea in hempy buckets? I am almost out of sugar daddy and would like to replace w/ molasses....I also have some guano....so I was going to try and make a batch and give it to my ladies. Any thoughts?

solarz

yup, been running organically amended coco hempy's for a while now, using LK and molasses. Go for it bro.

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
Great! :woohoo:
Out with it solarz!!! What do you use? I'd love to get in to this? don't keep us in suspense

wow this thread was bumpy yet so informative. i have just gone from hearing the name Hempy Bucket... to deciding to do my first scrog with it... anyone have a general estimate of what they got with a 400w hps scrogging? lookin to try and was wondering what yeilds looked like compared to veg times n such. is scrogging better in these?

thanks dubwise... it seems to be... i am very ambitious and extremely anxious to get my first grow up and goin! these hempy buckets solved the main problem i was told i would encounter with hydro,(too fast and less forgiving than soil),and i can still have the great hydro results! i hope to acheive 1g/W asap but unfortunately i have a goal of 1lb per harvest and i only have a 400w light.. hahaha soon enough my friends ill reach the 1lb club. can't wait to invent something ultra cool like this that i can contribute to the world of growing my favorite thing on earth! (minus the wifey of course)

America

Since switching from organic soil to hempy style containers I have never looked back. Why worry about 10 different things when all you should be doing is measuring out the lucas formula? Great stuff!

dubwise

in the thick of it
Veteran
przcvctm, i read those two links and don't see where you'd have a problem using it. You could always run a bucket of that vs a bucket of perlite and see what you come up with. Probably pretty similar I would bet. If it retained a bunch of water, you may be able to water less frequently. Although with this method, when you water, you're aerating the little "res" in the bottom of the hempy bucket. I suppose you'd have the same results either way.

Last edited:

SilverSurfer_OG

Living Organic Soil...
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Whats the largest hempy bucket anyone knows about?

I am thinking about making a really big one for outdoors use...

Cheers!

delta9nxs

No Jive Productions
Veteran
przcvctm, hey, how you doing? i've looked at the links provided, thank you. it looks to me that axis would be a good medium, but it's cost is a little high and it does not out perform turface. they are both are mostly quartz silica, even though one is made by geologic forces and one is made by sea creatures.

they have big differences in water holding capacity. turface holds it own weight in water when saturated. axis holds 110% of it's weight in water. but turface is 35 lbs per cu ft. and axis is 16.8 lbs per cu ft. 35 lbs divided by 7.9, which is the weight of a gal of fresh water, equals 4.43 gal. axis at 16.8 lbs times 110% is 18.48 lbs. divided by 7.9 is 2.33 gals. by reference a cu ft is 7.49 gals.

i paid $9 a 50 lb bag for turface several years ago, the price today is still only $11 per bag.

turface, which is mined from one site in georgia, has a fair amount of ca and mg and acts like a storehouse for these as well as p and k. axis does not have the storage capacity of turface.

silversurfer_og, howdy, nice to meet you! peggy bradley of www.carbon.org builds large outdoor systems using the same technique. i strongly recommend the "easy-gro" training course she offers on dvds. a great investment for $35.

Latest posts

Latest posts