What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant not feeding

BigPhil

Veteran
Hello one of my lovely ladys doesn't look like its wanting to feed. A couple of branches look underdeveloped compared too the rest of the plant, And has some leaves that are yellowing. I grow in coco they are now in week 6 of flower.
I water once a day with a low feed of 1.5ml of A and B per liter. And I flush once a week just plain water.

Any ideas and possible fix? I checked the roots the look healthy, But mainly in the bottom 25% of the pot. I added an extra liter of coco today too the bottom of the pot.

Any help is welcomed.

Cheers Phill

frostqueen

Hello one of my lovely ladys doesn't look like its wanting to feed. A couple of branches look underdeveloped compared too the rest of the plant, And has some leaves that are yellowing. I grow in coco they are now in week 6 of flower.
I water once a day with a low feed of 1.5ml of A and B per liter. And I flush once a week just plain water.

Any ideas and possible fix? I checked the roots the look healthy, But mainly in the bottom 25% of the pot. I added an extra liter of coco today too the bottom of the pot.

Any help is welcomed.

Cheers Phill

Hey there, Phil. Not sure of your food source, but a tad of nitrogen as a foliar would fix that. And in general, starving your plant by using a minimal feeding regimen is not a good idea. Underfeeding has become a big fad with growers lately, and it's caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. Do you underfeed yourself at the dinner table, by eating like 500 calories a day? Food = flower mass. You can't create flower mass and quality out of thin air, and especially with coco, which has no base nutrients in it. You don't want too much food, obviously, but too little is not doing you any favors at all.

It isn't uncommon for the leaves to begin to yellow a bit after week 6. It's a good thing: it means the plant is using up the last of the nitrogen. Since you are in coco that can happen fast, as there is none in the medium as there would be with a compost-based mix.

As for those weird branches. Some genotypes do something that has been referred to as 'branch dudding'. Are these branches the lowest and skinniest ones on the plant? What is likely happening there is that the plant is prioritizing which branches are going to get the food. It only happens with some varieties, and I always just cut off the branches that do it, as they never recover. At least, I have never seen one recover in the last 15 years of growing.

If the majority of your plants look good then I'd just keep on keepin' on. Do consider using your nutrients at the manufacturer's recommended dosage.

BigPhil

Veteran
My other 15 plants look nice and healthy. Its just one is not drinking has way more off run than the rest, As for flavor feeding less brings out more smell and taste. I have feed this much for 8 years with no problem's at all. And get a healthy 0.75gram per watt no problem. Its not that it isn't getting enough, It has stopped feeding

BigPhil

Veteran
Hey there, Phil. Not sure of your food source, but a tad of nitrogen as a foliar would fix that. And in general, starving your plant by using a minimal feeding regimen is not a good idea. Underfeeding has become a big fad with growers lately, and it's caused a lot of problems for a lot of people. Do you underfeed yourself at the dinner table, by eating like 500 calories a day? Food = flower mass. You can't create flower mass and quality out of thin air, and especially with coco, which has no base nutrients in it. You don't want too much food, obviously, but too little is not doing you any favors at all.

It isn't uncommon for the leaves to begin to yellow a bit after week 6. It's a good thing: it means the plant is using up the last of the nitrogen. Since you are in coco that can happen fast, as there is none in the medium as there would be with a compost-based mix.

As for those weird branches. Some genotypes do something that has been referred to as 'branch dudding'. Are these branches the lowest and skinniest ones on the plant? What is likely happening there is that the plant is prioritizing which branches are going to get the food. It only happens with some varieties, and I always just cut off the branches that do it, as they never recover. At least, I have never seen one recover in the last 15 years of growing.

If the majority of your plants look good then I'd just keep on keepin' on. Do consider using your nutrients at the manufacturer's recommended dosage.

I get nute burn on what I feed now. What your telling me is crazy. I think you have underestimated my skill as a grower. You don't even know what strain I am growing. I like to grow picky feeding sativa's as the smoke gen nicer and heavy weight.

The plants have about 4 weeks left

frostqueen

I get nute burn on what I feed now. What your telling me is crazy. I think you have underestimated my skill as a grower. You don't even know what strain I am growing. I like to grow picky feeding sativa's as the smoke gen nicer and heavy weight.

The plants have about 4 weeks left [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=14566&pictureid=1758008&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

Fair enough. Giving advice with very little information from you out of the gate, I was left guessing quite a bit about your situation. My apologies and good luck. Somebody who isn't crazy will undoubtedly help you eventually.