What's new

LaPlata Labs - Lemon Alien & Colorado Clementines (growing / breeding diary)

Viral505

What's up guys and girls. A friend of mine got me a connection with the guys at LaPlata Labs, and they are really cool dudes with some nice genetics. I'm very excited about this year, we ditched the idea with the fem seeds and we're going regular ( I will be doing a light dep with some fem's, but that will be another diary)

Out of the choices of strain choices we had, the two we liked the best were Lemon Alien, and Colorado Clementine.

Lemon Alien (F4 Bx2)- Super Lemon Haze / LPL Alien Bubba

Colorado Clementines (F5) - Agent Orange / Big White

So far we've already got these babies germinated and planted with the T5 on them already, we had 100% germination and 100% of them sprouted, we did have a runt but I think it was due to the seed not cracking totally and the leaves weren't strong enough to pop it open, so I imagine we'll ditch it.

We got permission from LPL to breed these. They are perfect for breeding since they are separate parent IBLs. Lets make some F1 seeds then! I'm going to choose two healthy males of each to continue growing out in my tent when I have all the females outdoors. After that I will store pollen from each male, and I will inoculate a chosen bud from each of the opposite strain female's. This is just so I don't have to clone and then grow those and chose a pheno to use etc, the guys at LPL said there is little pheno difference, so I'm sure since I'm using these seeds to do outdoor grows I will want to chose a more robust and vigorous female, I'm assuming, at the same time they should show little to no difference since they are so far in-bred (only minor environmental differences like, this one got 1 hour more of morning shade than the others, and this one got one hour more of evening shade over the others, which at this point there is nothing we can do about it, OK NEIGHBORS MOVE YOUR HOUSE AND THAT WALL AND YOUR TREES NEED TO COME DOWN TOO, THEYRE BLOCKING MY SUN THANKS LOL)

:)

Viral505

I am trying to convince my partner that chemicals and metals are things that are not good for ingestion and smoking, so we are going to try the organic route this year. We are using Fox Farm's Salamander Soil to begin with, and to do our indoor transplanting as well. We will be using a form of CC's soil mix, cutting down the Oyster Shell by half the amount and adding Rock Phosphate in the same amount as the other meals (1/2 CUP per cubic FOOT). We will also be adding Alfalfa Meal to the soil mix, as I believe it would be cheaper to go this route than to use Alfalfa seeds to use in a seed sprout tea, so we will use blue corn seed sprouts and milled malted barley grain in a rotation, along with molasses water. We will give a top layer to the soil with compost and earthworm castings every month or so, along with the same amendments we mixed in our soil (which would be Azomite, Rock Phosphate, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Oyster Shell, Neem Seed Meal, and Crab Meal), if at any point I see deficiencies occur I will use hydrolyzed fish and seaweed with earthworm castings. I will also be trying to find some composted chicken manure, I heard Wal-Mart sells it and if they do I'm sure the nurseries in town sell it or something like that, composted poultry, goat, or horse manure is good for all around use. I will also be searching for straw bedding to use as a mulch, if I can't find some I guess I'll order some from BuildASoil.

Viral505

4/30 Update :)

4/30 Update :)

I think these girls can take one last drink of hydro nutes, I'm mixing up some CC soil to transplant them into next week into 5-gallon Homer buckets. Only difference in the soil mix I'm doing, is that I'm using my own soil type mix, I'm sure its very similar to what CC does. Roughly: 50% cococoir, 25% perlite, 25% local mushroom compost. Of course 1/2 cup each Neem, Crab, Kelp, 1 cup Oyster, 1 cup Azomite, 3 cups local rock dust.

3/19

3/25

4/5

Viral505

What are the stem rub smells? I thinking of picking up both these

The Colorado Clementine and Lemon Alien stem smells so far are pretty similar, giving off a very citrus and dank smell :)

The genetics are very uniform so far, especially the CoClems since they are F5. The Lemon Alien had 2 runts, and 2 were behind in growth. The male / female rate was about 50% on each, with 100% germination rate. So far I've really enjoyed growing LaPlata Labs strains.

Hash2k

The Colorado Clementine and Lemon Alien stem smells so far are pretty similar, giving off a very citrus and dank smell :)

The genetics are very uniform so far, especially the CoClems since they are F5. The Lemon Alien had 2 runts, and 2 were behind in growth. The male / female rate was about 50% on each, with 100% germination rate. So far I've really enjoyed growing LaPlata Labs strains.

Select any males yet?

Viral505

Transplanted females and weeded out the males except for one CoClem(now in my room under the T5 on a 12/12 while the girls are still well in vegetative), into 5 gallon pots earlier this month after the 2.5 gallon pots were done filling out.

My partner/roomy wasn't comfortable with doing everything full on organic, and wanted at least 3 hydro plants. So I'll make him happy and do 3 croptober hydro's and 3 light dep hydro's, even though I believe the taste and quality won't be there.

I will be ordering my 20-50 gallon brewing kit from Build-a-soil's website, I'm very excited to get started on that. My plants already look healthy, I can't wait to see what happens after that!!

I gave the two smaller LA's a dose of cytokinins (corn seed sprout tea) with hydrated kelp meal emulsion today, to see if they will try to catch up, I will wait a week and start feeding all the organic girls the kelp / alfalfa / molasses mix.

And I am catching pollen too :)

Stay tuned! <3

Hash2k

Clem x clem , clem x lemon a.....i would love to play with those if you have extras down the road...got some stuff to trade

Viral505

Sorry for the delay on updates.

Lots of our plants are going into a heavy preflower right now. Not sure if it is genetic related, or if it was because of how we tapered the light down to adjust them to the current sun schedule from what we started them on.. Kind of bullshit, but, if they do not get stuck in flower they will stunt themselves a month or so and revert into vegetation-mode around the middle of July for only like 2 weeks.. me being a new grower, I didn't know about this.. of course I knew if you put them out too early and the sun cycles were under 14.5 hours, then you'd expect them to go pre-flower or bud, but they had 15 hours of light. So I'm almost thinking its a combination of the three.. the plants were old enough to have been sexed out so they were ready to flip, genetic breeding programs are usually done indoor and done as fast as the plants will allow (so I'm assuming they will want to auto-flip at 2.5 months age when under 16 hours of light I imagine the parents were at 18 or 24 hours of light), and because the light was being tapered down (the plants thought it was August because the light dropped down a little bit over time, and they were already sexed out, so they went into bud). Anyhow.. accidental. This is part of the learning curve, and there is always next year. I will not be topping or pruning a lot because of the preflowering, I'm not sure what to do at this point, other than to give them a grow schedule of nutes and be very very patient.

On the brighter side of things, I got my compost tea brewing system set-up and brewing for the last 3 weekends, been giving my 4 big girls and our Flubber donation and the 3 Flowerbomb Kushes EWC Tea with molasses, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, and humate once a week, and aerating the water 24 hours before I start the initial brew, since I do not have a dechlorination filter system yet.

6-12 Day before mulching, got straw (or so the lady said, and it is seeded out damnit so I'm having to pull the damn seeds out when I top dress. I may have to check it on one day every week all over the soil, I don't want other stuff growing in there right now, if it was clover or psylocibe cubensis I'd be cool with that, but its hay or straw that has been seeded out.. blah)

So, for our manual light dep, we decided to throw a couple of the hardest pre-flowering plants to that schedule. Had to uproot and transplant the Clementines in the corner there, so I ended up getting two Lemon Aliens to play with in organics in the end, so I'm happy about that. Soon we'll send the Flowerbomb Kushes and Flubber to the light dep schedule, maybe in a week or so.

Last edited:

Viral505

6-15
Organic Clementines

something going on with the second clementines here, getting yellowing leaves in the middle of the plant, starting on the inside of the leaf, and browning on the tips and continues until the leaf is completely yellow and browns out and dies, usually starting on the middle leaf, not happening too too crazy but it is present and noticable, I think it is because the plants are preflowering or budding because of whatever, and they are pulling extra stuff from the leaves, I do not pull them off and scolded my partner (he was pulling them off mid-day) because I believe this is what is happening, I will be looking at deficiencies and abundances today to assess more).

Organic Lemon Aliens

Last edited:

Viral505

I'll take some more pictures this week sometime, we just got done tying the lower bigger branches out to give them more surface area and air flow on the interior, also starting to trim the interior out a bit of all the plants, pulling any dead leaves off too as normal.

On my light-dep organic that we uprooted.. I'm seeing some issues with it. Almost looks like heat-stress, potassium deficiency all over, and fucked up almost burned looking leaves/bug damage almost. Its very hard to describe. I didn't have any Fish Bone Meal to topdress as it went into flower, but I did have Super Triple Phosphate (even though that is not organic, it is mined so I'm fine with that.) I top dressed with Neem cake, Kelp, TSP, mushroom compost, earthworm castings, I also switched my mulch from Hay/Straw to shredded bark/wood mulch, I've heard that more fungal dominant soil in flower is what you want. I had forgotten you can use Potassium Silicate for potassium and silica and Unsulphured Molasses to help with nutes and microlife during watering once a week, so I just started doing that. I gave it a couple weeks of water only during the uproot freak-out. Still not really sure what I should do. (I also used bottled nutes in the first stage of veg in its life. Even though its not 100% organic, I would consider the product at this point well over 70% organic, especially since the last month and a half its been organic only, and will be 90% organic at least during flower cycle, the only thing in-organic during flower in the soil would be TripleSuperPhosphate on this one plant, the others WILL have Fish Bone Meal when they go into flower, I will make sure of it) It is just kind of funny because we are running a hydro nute light-dep plant too along side the organic light-dep plant, and the hydro just looks way way way more badass.... I know its totally unhealthy and full of ammonia's, chelated shit, and lots of metals.... I'd love to dial in organics to make it look like that, there is one bud the size of my fist and its just about to hit 4 weeks in flower, I can't wait haha..

All the other plants are looking great though.

Last edited:

Viral505

Well we've had a few things happen since last update.

Germinated and started a new indoor grow while this one is going, strain = S.A.G.E. x PurpleWreck#2 (I don't know where these seeds truly came from, unknown breeder with a male + female sign combined on the baggie my friend gave me from a friend from a friend who won them in a giveaway at a dispensary in Colorado somewhere, probably Durango / Cortez / Mancos) Anyhow.

Getting the cage-ing trellis system developed before the weather comes in.

A few branches broke here and there. One was from low stress training ties / dogs got into garden. One broke from SomeOldDude. And one snapped and broke from the main stalk because of too much water?? not sure, hopefully this doesn't make it worse and spread to the whole plant, it is actually the biggest one in the back there.. I'd hate to lose it because I either may have transplanted too low or watered too much on the inside. I will prolly stop all watering on the insides of the plant now because of this, really freaked me out losing a big low branch like that, and leaving a good size stem hole in the main stalk.. so I taped over it with electrical tape.. that method has fixed most physical issues over the last year or so. We had a plant break in half, completely split in half, electrical taped it up top to bottom, it lived for 3 more months and didn't even hermi (Lemon Skunk - Green House Genetic, grow log is on ICMag somewhere too, posted by "SomeOldDude")

I'm still continuing the manual light dep everyday, plants go in the darkness at 6pm, and come out at 10pm or when I get around to it at night, no signs of hermaphrodite yet, buds on the more developed plants are really oiling and triching out, even the one that got root burn actually smells decent and the buds don't look like complete garbage at least.

I'm still doing a Alfalfa / Kelp / EWC / Molasses / Humate tea every weekend, and I'm sure this is one reason why the plants look great, botanical teas baby!