What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bobbles Strawberry DD Big Cola Contest

bobblehead

Veteran
If we want to let silver play we should each build a 400w cab... 1200w is a bit much for a 2 week old clone.

SRGB

We would perhaps suggest 6 weeks total for pre-vegetation and full vegetation combined. That is, if the contest is purely about producing the largest single flower (possible). Six weeks total from 6 inch cut from donor to start of flowering day (+/-) 1 day between contestants, saving for requested extension. Two weeks of vegetation might, or might not be lengthy enough to produce supremely large flowers. We would lean towards the extra two weeks so that each gardener can do whatever they want to produce their very best. Time might be a factor, or part of the challenge, but we would not mind an additional two weeks so the contestants can truly make this one a classic.

Respectfully,
/SRGB/

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Nah - no need for anyone to break out the tapes and saws and drills and lumber on account'a me. :tiphat:

And dammit bobble, it's a SIX HUNDRED WATT LIGHT, OKAY? OKAY?

(Now everyone can understand why I have a bigass pickup with huge tires and a lift kit)

Mister_D

Veteran
If we want to let silver play we should each build a 400w cab... 1200w is a bit much for a 2 week old clone.

Build a cab :laughing:.......... I think silver ought to put his big boy panties on and break out the 600 again :biggrin:. Isn't it getting cold up there in the land of forever frost yet? Guess we could extend the veg time out to 42 days, should be able to make a good sized tree with that no? How long you want to go buddy? Don't really care myself, just so long as veg time starts on the day the clone is cut, because "rooted" is an opinion, and it makes getting the clone rooted as fast as possible part of the challenge :biggrin:.

Edit: my bad bro, thought you were back to using a 400 too :mooning:. Guess to be fair me and bobble could also use one 600?

bobblehead

Veteran
If we want others to be able to participate, it would make sense to establish a lower wattage... but then the cut also has to be made available to the people who want to participate... If we're doing a single 600w lamp, then again, I'm building a cab. It doesn't make sense to have a single small lamp in a large space. I have the full spectrum of ballasts and fans.. No matter what it is we do I have to construct the grow.

1200w just makes for more fun... More possibilities... I don't see why we can't just leave the cap at 1200w, and let anyone else participate with less wattage if they so desire... wasn't it you that just told me photons are photons? So its up to Silver to manipulate the light intensity.

Not everyone participates in a contest to win. Some do it for the fun of participating.

6 weeks from cut to flower sounds good to me.

Mister_D

Veteran
If we want others to be able to participate, it would make sense to establish a lower wattage... but then the cut also has to be made available to the people who want to participate... If we're doing a single 600w lamp, then again, I'm building a cab. It doesn't make sense to have a single small lamp in a large space. I have the full spectrum of ballasts and fans.. No matter what it is we do I have to construct the grow.

1200w just makes for more fun... More possibilities... I don't see why we can't just leave the cap at 1200w, and let anyone else participate with less wattage if they so desire... wasn't it you that just told me photons are photons? So its up to Silver to manipulate the light intensity.

Not everyone participates in a contest to win. Some do it for the fun of participating.

6 weeks from cut to flower sounds good to me.

Fair enough :biggrin:. 1200w cap, 6 weeks cut to flower, or any wattage and veg time before and up to the limit. Fun is definitely the main object of this contest :woohoo:

bobblehead

Veteran
rooting hormone is a PGR. Is that on your banned substance list? I can do without... I'm not scurred.

high life 45

Seen your Member?
Veteran
A bit late but im here. No strawdd atm, but that could change. :biggrin:

I think it would be fun to do a ppk strwdd grow off...put everyone in the same system with the same cuts, and see what tweaks and feeds environmental parameters work the best..

This could be a really good way to master a strain, if all of us grow the same cut in the same system, tweaks would be environment, feed, and media...

Or even better..
2 cuts
2 600's
one organic no till anything goes
one ppk anything goes.

That way everyone could theoretically have two chances to win it big..
it could become an ongoing research team instead of a one time big bud contest..

just an idea...
:thank you:

Mister_D

Veteran
rooting hormone is a PGR. Is that on your banned substance list? I can do without... I'm not scurred.

It's a PGR, so yes it's on the ban list. Half the time I forget to use it anyway, not scurred either :biggrin:

A bit late but im here. No strawdd atm, but that could change.

It most certainly could :biggrin:

I think it would be fun to do a ppk strwdd grow off...put everyone in the same system with the same cuts, and see what tweaks and feeds environmental parameters work the best..

This could be a really good way to master a strain, if all of us grow the same cut in the same system, tweaks would be environment, feed, and media...

Or even better..
2 cuts
2 600's
one organic no till anything goes
one ppk anything goes.

That way everyone could theoretically have two chances to win it big..
it could become an ongoing research team instead of a one time big bud contest..

just an idea...
:thank you:

Hmmmm ongoing research almost always interests me :biggrin:. How about contest first, possibly leading into on going research project? I don't mind tossing together a ppk for the show, not sure what others ability to put together and use other systems is though. Might be best if we leave grow method an open option. Though I guess that really depends on who wants to play. Either way, :thank you: for the input HL.

Ichabod Crane

Veteran
I need about two weeks to set something up. I have about four and half pounds to trim plus roof a house and work on a chicken coop for a friend.

Mister_D

Veteran
I need about two weeks to set something up. I have about four and half pounds to trim plus roof a house and work on a chicken coop for a friend.

No rush bro, we're still collecting people to join the contest :biggrin: I'd like to see mania and BST get in on this too

Last edited:

Mister_D

Veteran
First post has been edited with the rules as they currently stand. I'll continue to update it as things change.

Mister_D

Veteran
Are we going for gpw or cola size?

That's up in the air atm. The original spirit of the contest was to see who could grow the biggest single cola, but GPW, or largest yield per plant, may get factored in somehow also. The rules are a work in progress :biggrin:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
That's up in the air atm. The original spirit of the contest was to see who could grow the biggest single cola, but GPW, or largest yield per plant, may get factored in somehow also. The rules are a work in progress :biggrin:

I didn't mean to muck up the original intention - I still think biggest cola is good. :D

I really don't give a shit about the wattage TBH. I thought that it was a relatively easy thing to "scale" to give some parity, .. But then I suppose one could make the argument "Yeah but your 600 was in xyz space and my 1200 was in xyz * 2 space, so what's the difference?"

..I'm not sure any of us really care to get down into the nitty gritty at that level, so just discard it as a thought from a guy who was likely baked upon its delivery to y'all. :blowbubbles:

Hmm. As long as I can resurrect a cut (;) ), I think I'm in. I might end up regretting trying to cram in one more to the room, but f- it.

As bobble said, not everyone participates to win. I'll be that guy!

I'm gonna keep posted up here to keep abreast of the start date, make sure I can rustle up some supplies perhaps.. :joint: