What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

New Cannabis Business

those of us who are mmj caregivers in co already have a leg up we grow for patients deliver to them take em to store dr office senior centers errands cook em meal make em tinctures salves edibles now with recreational legal here now we will be able to open a retail store for medical and recreational users depending on the regulations i also read on yahoo news high times mag is planning to move the annual cannibus cup from amsterdam to colo that be a hoottttttttttt

Bruja64

Hey Yerboyblue! I just bought some of the Roots Organic soil and LOVE it!!
Have been growing about 10+ years, and been through so many different soils, even made some of my own(pain in my ass). This is by far one of the best soils out there. Screw Fox Farms---and the fact they don't tell you they use NON-organic substances in their line of nutrients!!!
Plus, the price on Roots Organic is much less costly.
Just an FYI---sort of off topic, sorry.

ChemDgMillionre

Veteran
Maybe stick building is disappearing in the lower priced home market, but it sure ain't in the luxury custom spec-home market. No ones putting together multi million dollar modulars, and they never will.

stasis

Registered Non-Conformist
Veteran
I've wanted to start a canna____ business in the area I reside, but no one has any drive to do anything here that requires courage in business. Ironically, all I hear is bellyaching about bills and no future. Voices from the ever-filled couch cushions of the people I know. Impatiently, and ungraciously waiting for their 'ship' to come in. Decades pass. Nothing much changes here.

In addition, There's still only 2 crappy cannabis clubs in a place where it should be absoultely top-notch.

I do not want to do it alone. Been talking it all up for over a decade now. There's little or no entrerpreneureal energy besides the pot brokers on the coast. And all they do is sit in front of the TV all day waiting for the phone to ring, telling anyone who will listen how busy their day is. haha... A joke. Such a Lazy Culture.

Along with some other local tourism knowledge - it's a slam dunk.

When I go to AMS HTCC, I usually take a side trip for a week to Spain, or Portugal.
If the HTCC is gonna come to CO, why not a side tour to pot central.?

Last edited:

idiit

Veteran
^ above posts in line with my thoughts.

i'm thinking catering to outdoor growers in your specific growing conditions is viable.

in outdoor grows for your location you could cater to your geo-specific od requirements:

flowering time ( short, medium, long).
wet,dry climates.
humid, arid conditions.
hot,cold conditions at harvest.

each locale has different od requirements as to flowering windows, hardiness issues re cold,hot, wet, dry, types of molds, etc. make strains for that specific locale with those rec.'s in mind.

have grow logs with pics. of different strains developed for your specific area with a smoke shop area where potential customers could sample the bud product of each strain for bag appeal, potency, high effects etc.

offer clones, seedlings, bulk organic supplies, proactive sprays,simple easy tutorials on garden prep., transplanting, growing, harvesting, curing and trim hash making. there is a lot to know and newbies could use someone to help out with experienced tips.

kemaresb

Hi, i feel quite concerned by your thread, because we just started to sell cannabis seeds online<<<<< link removed, see tou >>>>>>. There is a huge competition on this market. The good point is : the stock isn't taking a lot of place. When you are doing a legal business related to cannabis, the bank are not very motivated by giving you the online payment solution ( except if you live in Spain or Netherland, its's quite easier ). But you meet a lot of good guys in this business. Particularly in some Expos like Spannabis. You can open a growshop too. Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what's going to scare investors away! This isn't the "exception" to the rule

This is what's going to scare investors away! This isn't the "exception" to the rule

This is the kind of thing that's going to create some disconnect between the "legit" companies with a long term plan....which in this case (brand new industry) has real legs ...I'm from Canada and currently in the initial stages of applying for HC liscense......therefore I keep up on most companies both in the US & Canada.....My background is finance / financial statement analysis.....and all I can say is SHIT there is going to be a lot of these "big players" crashing down!!!! This example isn't the exception to the rule.....rather it's the rule!!!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/nathanva...a-little-high/

Warehouses! If you feel marijuana laws of any kind are going to be enacted or approved within 2-3 years in your location...Buy as many quality warehouses as you can afford!! Oh, and make sure they are in liberal jurisdictions that will allow for that sort of thing once it goes. Trust me on this one :)

Daub Marley

Warehouses! If you feel marijuana laws of any kind are going to be enacted or approved within 2-3 years in your location...Buy as many quality warehouses as you can afford!! Oh, and make sure they are in liberal jurisdictions that will allow for that sort of thing once it goes. Trust me on this one :)
Think another step ahead. Everyone will be outdoor and warehouses will only hold business operations not grows. Any indoor growing related businesses will fail or be considerably culled.

paper thorn

Veteran
clone/young plant production
growers
harvester/trimmers
extraction
curing/packaging
delivery
edibles/tinctures/creams
plant waste disposal/composting
security

start a company and contract to a dispensary for any of the above and more.

and tons of non mj vendors, and

Think another step ahead. Everyone will be outdoor and warehouses will only hold business operations not grows. Any indoor growing related businesses will fail or be considerably culled.

Oh believe me I have thought ahead...there is a specific reason I say buy warehouses and not, go buy land for outdoor cultivation sites.

Greenhouses and land is a good way to go, but land is cheap and as laws continue to expand it will be impossible to lock up all the land to the point where the price inflates... On the other hand, everywhere that pot gets legalized you will have a rush of people trying to secure indoor grows. This is what has happened here in CO. There is only a finite amount of warehouse space in each city and the price that it cost to purchase commercial land and then build a warehouse is huge. Because of this finite space, rent has tripled by the sq ft and if you want to set up a grow it is only advantageous to you and the landlord to sign a 15 year contract or so. (You don't want to drop 2 million bucks on a build out to have the landlord come back in 5 years and try to raise your monthly rate.) This is the trend to take advantage of...As the landlord you get triple the rent for the next 15 years, while your tenant is happy to have even found a place to grow!!! Then once that 15 years is up, your warehouse is already built out, ready for the next grower to just come right in and start growing, no need for build out. Now you are getting substantially more per month than you were with the previous 15 year tenant. Yes, people will move more and more to outdoor as they realize you can grow great pot outside in a green house and harvest year round and it is cheaper. But they won't realize that soon, nor will it be ubiquitous amongst the growing community. Also, they will be the ones asking for a long term lease. You are just the polite landlord obliging to help a starting business! --Who is also savvy enough to have his whole investment in the initial warehouse payed off long before that initial 15 year lease is up! If the pot gardeners aren't growing indoors anymore in 15 years, oh well, you now have ample warehouse space for lease that as far as you are concerned, is now payed off! A good size warehouse can net someone a few hundred thousand a year in just leasing it out. If you are looking for sound investments find the resources in the industry that are limited and scoop them up. BTW, this is actually already happening in places like Florida, that are getting ready to go medical. I know a group that just purchased a few 150,000 sq warehouses in Florida in preparation for the new laws.

Also, having the warehouse space when the laws change means that you will have less hiccups if you yourself want to immediately apply for one of the licenses that will be available.

Daub Marley

Yes, people will move more and more to outdoor as they realize you can grow great pot outside in a green house and harvest year round and it is cheaper. But they won't realize that soon, nor will it be ubiquitous amongst the growing community.
What?? No way man that is immediate. ANYONE that leases a warehouse with indoor lighting will be toasted in like one year tops after full legalization. The only reason this is even playing out as you described right now is because it is federally illegal and the price is overly inflated. Indoor protects from rippers and because its price is inflated and running lights is still economically advantageous. However when there are acres upon acres of cannabis growing outdoors then the price drops, rippers start to not care, and growing indoors will be done forever. Only breeding and cloning nurseries will be indoor.
There are so many better opportunities to work towards. Don't touch anything indoor with a ten foot pole!

What?? No way man that is immediate. ANYONE that leases a warehouse with indoor lighting will be toasted in like one year tops after full legalization. The only reason this is even playing out as you described right now is because it is federally illegal and the price is overly inflated. Indoor protects from rippers and because its price is inflated and running lights is still economically advantageous. However when there are acres upon acres of cannabis growing outdoors then the price drops, rippers start to not care, and growing indoors will be done forever. Only breeding and cloning nurseries will be indoor.
There are so many better opportunities to work towards. Don't touch anything indoor with a ten foot pole!

HaHa, There are still going to be indoor grows for a long time. Just because you obviously think the future is in outdoor gardening does not mean that everyone shares that opinion. For example, I met with two owners of an undisclosed dispensary here in the Springs last Wednesday that specifically told me they have looked into greenhouses and found them to be not a worthy investment here in Colorado because of several factors that they then listed out. Personally, I chuckled in side my own head at their naivety, but that just goes to show you how stuck in their ways people are. Don't be quick to think everyone is so eager to change! Not to mention, there are parts of the country where it will cost almost as much as a warehouse to run a commercial sized controlled greenhouse equipped with supplemental lighting, automated light deprivation machines and environmental controls. So people in these regions especially will not be so quick to go outside, when indoors is already working well for them.

Keep in mind that I am not saying that in 30 years from now everyone won't be wise to growing outside. Eventually we will have certain regions of the country that specialize in pot production just like oranges or avocados or any other ag product. I am merely pointing out a trend to exploit here at the beginning of the legalization movement. Take it or leave it, I could care less!

I also am of the opinion that even with full scale federal legalization that the price of ALL pot will not fall so drastically. I like Rosenthals comparison to the tomato model. Even today, with tobacco fully legal you still have cigar manufacturers that command especially high prices. Not all growers will be compensated equally... Those of us with better product will hopefully still have plenty of people willing to pay us what it is worth to grow. Like Craft Breweries...

Daub Marley

HaHa, There are still going to be indoor grows for a long time. Just because you obviously think the future is in outdoor gardening does not mean that everyone shares that opinion.
I agree, but there is no denying the economic advantages to outdoor. Its just math and money. People will be slapped in the face rather quickly and wake up.
Not to mention, there are parts of the country where it will cost almost as much as a warehouse to run a commercial sized controlled greenhouse equipped with supplemental lighting, automated light deprivation machines and environmental controls. So people in these regions especially will not be so quick to go outside, when indoors is already working well for them.
It will be comparable. If you really want to make money look into making automated dep greenhouses. If you can make that very cheaply then you might have something. Then again you will still be in a margin fight with those who don't use any greenhouse, supplemental lighting, etc, and do things on a much larger scale. I think that anything you can do to make things that were expensive much cheaper is the best bet. Automated trimmers, automated light dep greenhouse, large scale extraction systems, etc. I don't disagree with you that some brands/strains will retain a somewhat high price, but I think as a whole prices will drop substantially. All I'm saying is that you should make your investments with the outlook that prices will fall and just don't be caught on the wrong side.

swordsman

Any indoor growing related businesses will fail or be considerably culled.

The biggest expense with producing cannabis is trimming, not electricity.

Indoor grows still have huge advantages over outdoors and greenhouses. Greenhouses have their drawbacks too.

jaybaked

The biggest expense with producing cannabis is trimming, not electricity.

-This is true for the majority of successful outdoor grows. For indoor operations, there are a lot more variables though. Electricity is crazy expensive in CA, and would probably cost more than trimming.

Indoor grows still have huge advantages over outdoors and greenhouses. Greenhouses have their drawbacks too.

Indoor grows certainly do have some advantages, but when compared to a properly outfitted CEA greenhouse, not very many. I would think the largest benefit would be the greater level of consistency of the product for medical usage.

-I think that both greenhouse and indoor will continue to share a large part of the market for a good while, but given enough time greenhouse will be dominating.

jaybaked

Oh believe me I have thought ahead...there is a specific reason I say buy warehouses and not, go buy land for outdoor cultivation sites.

Greenhouses and land is a good way to go, but land is cheap and as laws continue to expand it will be impossible to lock up all the land to the point where the price inflates... On the other hand, everywhere that pot gets legalized you will have a rush of people trying to secure indoor grows. This is what has happened here in CO. There is only a finite amount of warehouse space in each city and the price that it cost to purchase commercial land and then build a warehouse is huge. Because of this finite space, rent has tripled by the sq ft and if you want to set up a grow it is only advantageous to you and the landlord to sign a 15 year contract or so. (You don't want to drop 2 million bucks on a build out to have the landlord come back in 5 years and try to raise your monthly rate.) This is the trend to take advantage of...As the landlord you get triple the rent for the next 15 years, while your tenant is happy to have even found a place to grow!!! Then once that 15 years is up, your warehouse is already built out, ready for the next grower to just come right in and start growing, no need for build out. Now you are getting substantially more per month than you were with the previous 15 year tenant. Yes, people will move more and more to outdoor as they realize you can grow great pot outside in a green house and harvest year round and it is cheaper. But they won't realize that soon, nor will it be ubiquitous amongst the growing community. Also, they will be the ones asking for a long term lease. You are just the polite landlord obliging to help a starting business! --Who is also savvy enough to have his whole investment in the initial warehouse payed off long before that initial 15 year lease is up! If the pot gardeners aren't growing indoors anymore in 15 years, oh well, you now have ample warehouse space for lease that as far as you are concerned, is now payed off! A good size warehouse can net someone a few hundred thousand a year in just leasing it out. If you are looking for sound investments find the resources in the industry that are limited and scoop them up. BTW, this is actually already happening in places like Florida, that are getting ready to go medical. I know a group that just purchased a few 150,000 sq warehouses in Florida in preparation for the new laws.

Also, having the warehouse space when the laws change means that you will have less hiccups if you yourself want to immediately apply for one of the licenses that will be available.

This is why I began the company I started. We do modular buildouts/warehouse conversions, and also free standing modular construction. I can get it built out for usually a bit less than stick and drywall, and in a fraction of the time. Plus the materials are sterile and free of wood and drywall, so no mold/mildew ever. If you have to relocate, you dismantle the structure and bring it on to the next. You can also have the facility inspected, and the building permit signed off in the future once the new legislation come into act in California ,since all the work is visible/accessible. Here's my website Modulargrowsolutions.com .

Obsidian

Veteran
the money is in the ancillary businesses needed for the whole legalization and recreational movement.
check out the regulations in CO and OR and see what's needed for running a legal rec grow, or any of the businesses surrounding the grow industry. That's where lots of money is sitting, waiting to be gleaned due to these regulations.
Lot's of huge opportunity for people to get involved in the cannabis industry.

A person does not have to grow to bank good $$$.

think about it for a few while reading just what is needed.
if you are creative, you will see...

Latest posts

Latest posts