What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Keep my see 1k hps or switch to cmh???

Miraculous Meds

So I picked up one nanolux 630 with 2 3100k 315s to try over a tray and see how it does. If it works out I'll pick up more. If not ill go back to hps and keep it moving. Hopefully the 630 will work out with the 3x3s. Cheapest I found was planet natural for 298 on nanoluxes and Amazon for the 315s at 59 per. $418 complete.

Your gonna be a happy camper. The 315s for 59 bucks sounds like a good deal. Did you go with Phillips bulbs then?

I picked up my phantoms with phillps 3100 included for 275. I think I paid 230 for the offbrand prizm ballast adjustawing combos with phillips 3100.

And I got hooked up on the clearance ss 630 units at 300 a pop with 2 phillps 3100s included per unit.

So theres deals to be had out there, but your gonna love that cmh. I think the nanolux comes with the shallow hood? If so that was a good choice for a little extra canopy distance from bulb, for low ceiling restrictions.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Ya I went with the Phillips agro 315s. 59$ was the cheapest I found. I've been looking for cmh deals for the past week just because I need lights up soon otherwise my glues will have to go under a 1k due to canopy height...cheapest I found was 291 on the nano and 59 on bulbs. 418 complete to my shipping locations door.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
Right now it was the more cost effective choice. $400 vs $800. I ve seen more grows with awesome results with cmh than quantum boards. In fact until this thread, i never even heard of them. Led to me is still not comparable to 1k hps.

heatherlonglee

If your going CMH and can't run the EyeHortilux bulb I'd say that was another mistake. The way I see this CMH technology from what I've researched is that CMH was never designed or originally intended for plants. Check out that double jacket to block the UV on the fans boys favorite bulbs. So here is EyeHortilux fully knowing that CMH is old, outdated, not superior to what they already sell; but the market wants NEW, and the market wants to run single bulb entire grow (a regression in growing knowledge happened at this time). Eyehortilux has recently started selling the best CMH bulb, single jacket no cover required. While known inferior technology, it's specifically designed for plants. Take a look at the bulb. It's vertical only and single.

Shalako

There's nothing wrong with cmh 315's and Phillips bulbs if you know what your doing with them...I will put 3 315 cmh phillips bulbs up against a single 1000hps anytime for a better quality product and not much difference in weight.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
If your going CMH and can't run the EyeHortilux bulb I'd say that was another mistake. The way I see this CMH technology from what I've researched is that CMH was never designed or originally intended for plants. Check out that double jacket to block the UV on the fans boys favorite bulbs. So here is EyeHortilux fully knowing that CMH is old, outdated, not superior to what they already sell; but the market wants NEW, and the market wants to run single bulb entire grow (a regression in growing knowledge happened at this time). Eyehortilux has recently started selling the best CMH bulb, single jacket no cover required. While known inferior technology, it's specifically designed for plants. Take a look at the bulb. It's vertical only and single.

I think uv shielding is not a part of the Philips Agro bulb and in the study you linked earlier it discusses the advantages of the Philips bulb in the paragraph before the one you posted. The study was performed for cycloptics and the Philips Agro bulb is the one they picked for their pro kit based on the study. It seemed mostly positive.

https://www.cycloptics.com/sites/default/files/USU_spectral_analysis.pdf

I think the Philips Agro are proven bulbs and what I have seen is that bag appeal improves over hps and often finishing times shorten.

I will swap the hps bulbs for some blue mh bulbs the last 20 days to see if quality improves

heatherlonglee

Itsmychoice really? Get out of here with that junk "I think"! Look at the Cycloptics web site. It's a open hood and states that they use the open rated bulb. For the layman and Itsmychoice above, that means double jacketed bulb. Check that link again and check that graph showing percentage of UVB light, and Blue light percentages. The old MH still was better in UV and Blue. The EyeHortilux CMH bulb doesn't need a enclosed hood can be run bare bulb single jacketed.

If I hear that flowering times shortened all I really hear is "I couldn't control the heat at higher wattage" I've tried many different lights to say this.

Dirt Bag

Heh.
1) Eye Hortilux 315 CMH is 4200K and recommended for VEG. It IS double jacketed.
2) Philips AGRO 315 CMH does NOT use Fadeblock® which IS used in their other bulbs including the 942
3) LED canopy penetration sucks.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
This is the paragraph from the study you posted I was referring to:

The CMH lamp has 2.5 times the blue light of an HPS lamp, which is a significant advantage in growth chambers, where HPS lamps must be supplemented with 50% MH lamps to achieve adequate blue light. In our experience, the 13.4% blue light from CMH lamps would be adequate to grow all species without adding supplemental blue light (see spectral output graphs and summary table). The blue light from a CMH lamp is slightly higher than a 50/50 mix of HPS and MH lamps – AND it eliminates the problem of spectral uniformity that occurs with a mix of lamp types

Double jacketed is not the same as Uv shielded. Double jacketed is about keeping bulbs compliant for use in open fixtures which is what most growers use. Uv shielding is common in the bulbs used in industrial settings to reduce fading in fabrics.

No one is saying it’s the perfect bulb just that it’s effective.

Please let’s keep it respectful.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I've tried led. Great quality but yield sucked. Ive tried the whole bulb swich for 20 30 days noticed no difference.... So far the only tried and proven method I have is the 1k hps with my hortilux. I. Hoping cmh works out, but if not I'll just go back to old reliable.

Dirt Bag

I've tried led. Great quality but yield sucked. Ive tried the whole bulb swich for 20 30 days noticed no difference.... So far the only tried and proven method I have is the 1k hps with my hortilux. I. Hoping cmh works out, but if not I'll just go back to old reliable.

Sure seems as though Isaak has demonstrated and testified to CMH superiority. Rather abundantly I might add.

heatherlonglee

More links from Cycloptics
Again read the charts! Says the "Elite Agro 3100k" and the "Master Color Elite 942 4200k" basically the same bulb look at the graph. Also again more numbers showing the old MH has more Blue and UV.

www.hydrofarm.com/f/i/2l8u9bl/Greenbeams CMH Spectrums.pdf

On the link above scroll down and check out that spectral graph showing CMH/MH/HPS to natural sunlight. Again old MH was already better from what I see in the graph.

Shalako

Ok thanks we get it, your not going to be using any Phillips CMH 315's anytime soon...I'm doing better quality than HPS, not to far off from more product, (will figure that out), and saving money in a couple different ways...One thing I learned along time ago about growing, there are multiple path's to achieving the same goals...every environment can be tuned to excellence and there is always someone that likes their way and believes it's the only way!

Shalako

Sure seems as though Isaak has demonstrated and testified to CMH superiority. Rather abundantly I might add.

His side by side is what brought me here to search thru anything Phillips CMH 315 related because I tried them out of the blue with some eye opening results out of the gate. Isaak's thread has helped me tune in on success with the lighting v.s the HPS I used for many years with 600's no glass with excellent results with many strains.:biggrin:

MedResearcher

Veteran
Tons of variables involved. Genetics, environment, plant size, medium, etc..

Some setups benefit more from one style lamp than another imo. Like the old vertical vs horizontal debate.

Think both DE HPS, and CMH, have the ability to yield very well. Better than SE HPS, and SE MH. Just a matter of dialing everything in to suit the light.

Ceiling height, and cooling power surely play a huge role. The DE 1k HPS are bright and hot as hell. Low ceilings, not enough cooling power, the environment wont be optimal, and the switch to CMH will be night and day in success. On the other hand tall ceilings, plenty of cooling power, someone goes to the smaller lamps they get a smaller yield.

Still debating myself. Either 16x 630s, or 12x 1k DE HPS for this new room. Local shop told me they can get nano 630s with 2 bulbs for apx 420, or generic no name 630s that look like the nano minus the cloud set up for 300 with 2 bulbs.

So many damn decisions these days. Sort of like Netflix, to many choices so you end up just scrolling around never deciding.

Mr^^

Dirt Bag

Tons of variables involved. Genetics, environment, plant size, medium, etc..

Some setups benefit more from one style lamp than another imo. Like the old vertical vs horizontal debate.

Think both DE HPS, and CMH, have the ability to yield very well. Better than SE HPS, and SE MH. Just a matter of dialing everything in to suit the light.

Ceiling height, and cooling power surely play a huge role. The DE 1k HPS are bright and hot as hell. Low ceilings, not enough cooling power, the environment wont be optimal, and the switch to CMH will be night and day in success. On the other hand tall ceilings, plenty of cooling power, someone goes to the smaller lamps they get a smaller yield.

Still debating myself. Either 16x 630s, or 12x 1k DE HPS for this new room. Local shop told me they can get nano 630s with 2 bulbs for apx 420, or generic no name 630s that look like the nano minus the cloud set up for 300 with 2 bulbs.

So many damn decisions these days. Sort of like Netflix, to many choices so you end up just scrolling around never deciding.

Mr^^
If you have the money, the height, and the AC for them, a combination of 1K DE HPS and CMH is absolutely optimal. It's not science fiction, it's here now. Check out the Grow Beast.
SturgeonGeneral has found the best price (so far) for the Nanolux 630w at this place and there is absolutely no real choice in bulbs, Philips are currently the best you can get for any price (see Nate's from Growers House 10 bulb comparison) which are available on Amazon for under $60.
That's our intended avenue. Our 1ks are just a smidge too powerful, too hot, and use too much electricity for our situation and Isaak has firmly convinced us to switch.
Good luck with yours.

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
I got 1 630 nanolux up in the air over a glue tray so we'll see how it pans out. I'll know here within the first month or so if I wanna pick up more.
picture.php

Oliver Pantsoff

Veteran
Good luck to ya SG...I'm curious how the 630 turns out for ya. Was thinking about turning one of my spare rooms out for a multi strain seed run to get the older beans out the fridge. Peace

OP