What's new

Fresh Frozen Ethanol Extraction Spent Material Photos

troutman

Seed Whore
No, the next one was 3 minutes continuous agitation. After I put the Everclear in the jar with the flower and closed the lid, I put on an oven mitt and put my arm down to the bottom of the deep freeze, closed the lid on my shoulder as much as I could and shook the jar for the duration of Motorhead/Girl School "Please Don't Touch" (2:51) before straining and filtering the fluid.

Next time listen to Motorhead "The Chase Is Better Than The Catch" (4:18) for the extraction. :biggrin:

Listening to it now. :woohoo:

PDX Dopesmoker

Next time listen to Motorhead "The Chase Is Better Than The Catch" (4:18) for the extraction. :biggrin:

Listening to it now. :woohoo:

No, it has to be an agitation related song. Shakedown Street could work, but my arm got tired shaking the jar for 3 minutes so I'll try a longer soak next, probably an hour because I think that would justify inventing a new acronym. An hour long soak isn't a quick wash after all.
How about CEB for cold ethanol bath?

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
No, it has to be an agitation related song. Shakedown Street could work, but my arm got tired shaking the jar for 3 minutes so I'll try a longer soak next, probably an hour because I think that would justify inventing a new acronym. An hour long soak isn't a quick wash after all.
How about CEB for cold ethanol bath?

Or Subzero Ethanol Extraction (SEE).

Mengsk

It sounds like you have put some time and thought into this. While I also followed the QWET/QWISO procedure from Skunk Pharm Research my approach was different. I understand it's a big industry now so your starting material, the nature of it makes sense.

I started with cured buds, and broke them up nearly the same as for rolling/smoking etc. Now, with the (not quite ground but broken) bud in a frozen soda bottle or glass French press or jelly jar, I cover with frozen solvent and shake the thing vigorously for 15-30 seconds (it is increasingly difficult to get a "quick" wash on larger amounts and I do not want to go over 1 minute even with everything sitting in/on dry ice). After 15 seconds vigorous agitation (may try a hand mixer in a pyrex cup) I transfer to a polished lemon press with cheesecloth liner. Then vacuum funnel with filter paper to get the distillate totally clear of dust/pathogens etc. Rather than obsess over yield/loss on extraction, maybe focus on (as I've been thinking about) getting the creme de la creme and then use the spent material for a second process like edibles.

Vacuum or convection evaporation with or without heat doesn't seem super critical. So cured buds and 15 seconds. Ethanol is better for this, iso is so volatile it's kind of gross, ethanol may allow for slightly longer soak times. Fresh, wet, frozen, 15 minutes? I don't think it is the same although it could be really good or something quite different even better. Not to be rude, but making hash from buds like dry sift, and then seeing some of the industry 'fresh' 'distallates,' it's cool but almost kind of disgusting at the same time. Better than smoking brick garbage but a far cry from top shelf flowers. A pot of bubbling refined crude oil products (butane propane think Chevron, cow farts, pollution) in with water and fresh unknown plant material, all blown through how many stainless steel tubes and pumps and seals and what not, to come out as something that nearly looks too thin and too clear to contain anything valuable. That might be where the term terps comes from.

For what it's worth, this has been so labor intensive for me that I kind of 'skip' and stick to flower maybe 1/2 the time. But the effect is so worth it, a 3 hour dose or whatever becomes just a single vape bubbler hit that takes about 20 seconds and it's exactly the same or actually much better than a 3-4g joint. No breathing issues no coughing no 30 minutes smoking just one clean vape hit of the essential oil. The store bought distillates, while strong, have not given me the same effect. I'm usually impressed initially at the strength of a cartridge then somewhere in the middle realize how tiny and weak the thing actually is especially considering what they retail for ($50 instead of $0.50 or whatever).

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

Or Subzero Ethanol Extraction (SEE).

That works great, here you can SEE the results of a one hour soak with one agitation at that halfway point. The fluid was about half a shade greener than the 3 min QWET with continuous agitation and there are a lot less fine particulates in it.
L1kyvqC.jpg

XpQ8gEK.jpg

Ldt1WIJ.jpg

MV7uTTx.jpg

R7U3Dj8.jpg

PDX Dopesmoker

It sounds like you have put some time and thought into this. While I also followed the QWET/QWISO procedure from Skunk Pharm Research my approach was different. I understand it's a big industry now so your starting material, the nature of it makes sense.

I started with cured buds, and broke them up nearly the same as for rolling/smoking etc. Now, with the (not quite ground but broken) bud in a frozen soda bottle or glass French press or jelly jar, I cover with frozen solvent and shake the thing vigorously for 15-30 seconds (it is increasingly difficult to get a "quick" wash on larger amounts and I do not want to go over 1 minute even with everything sitting in/on dry ice). After 15 seconds vigorous agitation (may try a hand mixer in a pyrex cup) I transfer to a polished lemon press with cheesecloth liner. Then vacuum funnel with filter paper to get the distillate totally clear of dust/pathogens etc. Rather than obsess over yield/loss on extraction, maybe focus on (as I've been thinking about) getting the creme de la creme and then use the spent material for a second process like edibles.

Vacuum or convection evaporation with or without heat doesn't seem super critical. So cured buds and 15 seconds. Ethanol is better for this, iso is so volatile it's kind of gross, ethanol may allow for slightly longer soak times. Fresh, wet, frozen, 15 minutes? I don't think it is the same although it could be really good or something quite different even better. Not to be rude, but making hash from buds like dry sift, and then seeing some of the industry 'fresh' 'distallates,' it's cool but almost kind of disgusting at the same time. Better than smoking brick garbage but a far cry from top shelf flowers. A pot of bubbling refined crude oil products (butane propane think Chevron, cow farts, pollution) in with water and fresh unknown plant material, all blown through how many stainless steel tubes and pumps and seals and what not, to come out as something that nearly looks too thin and too clear to contain anything valuable. That might be where the term terps comes from.

For what it's worth, this has been so labor intensive for me that I kind of 'skip' and stick to flower maybe 1/2 the time. But the effect is so worth it, a 3 hour dose or whatever becomes just a single vape bubbler hit that takes about 20 seconds and it's exactly the same or actually much better than a 3-4g joint. No breathing issues no coughing no 30 minutes smoking just one clean vape hit of the essential oil. The store bought distillates, while strong, have not given me the same effect. I'm usually impressed initially at the strength of a cartridge then somewhere in the middle realize how tiny and weak the thing actually is especially considering what they retail for ($50 instead of $0.50 or whatever).

Thats interesting, I got back into making hash oil about 6 or so years ago when I got a cold and annoy cough that wouldn't go away. I was smoking a lot of flower at the time and I remembered back when I lived in Tucson and that I had initially got into making oil back then also in part for the reduced amount of smoking, coughing and time consumption involved versus smoking flower. It was more about stealth than health the first time, but the same logic applied in both cases.

PDX Dopesmoker

I went back to a short soak with little agitation because I was missing the finer quality oil from the first batch. The longer soaked one tasted like it soaked longer.
Here are the photos post extraction
0cMgaxo.jpg

4MjwBEM.jpg

AXjw6nU.jpg

Nz4bnkH.jpg

lots of remaining heads again

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good job with the experiment and pictures!

Our QWET techniques were developed using household freezers and Sub Zero Extraction using dry ice or liquid N2 add new dimensions.

Pharmer Joe has the most experience at subzero EtOH extraction, where the extraction vessel is packed in dry ice and the ethanol is chilled by dropping dry ice pellets directly into the alcohol.

He says they typically operate at around -50C for around 20 minutes without agitation and less, proportional to the agitation.

Chopped material greens up faster than whole buds.

Where this process shines is for making large batches of Short Path starting material, so some green isn't an issue.

Way easier to scale up EtOH extractors than LPG or CO2 extractors.

Subzero LPG mixtures (50/50) on the other hand have the advantage at -50C both dissolving the low polarity wax caps and the target constituents themselves, plus it is easier to retain the monoterpenes, filling a different product niche in the market place.

Sadly, scaling them up is more difficult and expensive, and if you are going to subsequently fractionally distill it, it adds a winterization step to remove the non polar plant waxes.

CannaFunk

Really great thread, and I totally agree, Im smoking all types of concentrates that are great, but none touch a quick wash Iso extract, I have been making them for a while now and haven't made the grade I know I can, but am sure by reading and applying the more meticulous methods and better starting material It will happen.

Has anyone ever heated alcohol, poured over cannabis enough to soak the material, immediately freeze, then once frozen take freezing alcohol and proceed to do a wash or two? Just a thought.