What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Fractional Distillation Questions

Hey all,

I'm interested in learning about fractional distillation of concentrates. I'm sure this has been answered before, so please excuse me, I am trying to get a more clear idea and could use your input.

What vacuum pump would be good for a small scale setup? I'm not going to be running it daily. I understand a low micron pump is needed, but is it necessary to buy one of the 2-3k$ ones?

Is it possible to process small amounts in a larger boiling flask, or does the flask size need to be adjusted depending on how much crude extract your starting with? For example, can I run 100 grams in a 3000ml boiling flask?

For starting material, I was hoping to use cold 99% ISO to make the crude concentrate and use winterization/filtration to clean it up. I was hoping to avoid using a closed loop system if possible, is anyone using this type of method?

Thanks, any input is much appreciated!

troutman

Seed Whore
They sell vaccum pumps on EBAY or Amazon for a few hundred $$$ that are good enough to get you started.

I don't think there's a problem running 100 grams in a 3000 mL flask.

Running small amounts in a small flask make it easier to clean and process that's all.

Why heat up or dirty a large flask if you don't need to?

Thanks for the reply. I am starting to get a better idea of what I will need to get. I have a 3000ml heating mantle with distillation glassware and was thinking of using that to start out, but I don't plan on processing large amounts and the glassware is only setup for simple distillation.

I am thinking I should get a smaller, 1-2L setup designed for fractional distillation with the rotating flasks and cold trap. Then If I want to use a larger sized boiling flask I can use the 3000ml with the new short path glassware, seeing how the ground joints are the same size.

Another question is, how important is the chiller? Will a ice water bath or hydroponic chiller be enough or does it have to get a lot colder?

troutman

Seed Whore
If you have ice left in your ice water bath it's cold enough.

Try to get as big of a cooler or container as possible for your chilling setup.

I chill my condenser with a 500 GPH aquarium pump and the glass gets very cold.

Brickweeder, I saw a soxhlet apparatus in one of the videos, but no distillation. Was this what you were referring to? I might have missed the one you were thinking of. There are a few videos on short path distillation on youtube but not as many as I hoped for. It seems people are fairly tight lipped about there processes.

I am planning on trying a cold ethanol extraction to use as the starting material. Luckily I have a dry ice supplier nearby, so I should be able to keep nice and cold. I'll try to post some pics of the process.

brickweeder

Its been a while since I watched them, but I seem to recall a vid where he showed an after extraction process where he had a setup to distill off the solvent, and condensed it to a separate container for later reuse, leaving behind the oil extract. I think his setup was akin to a makeshift pot still rather than a fractional still. I hope I am not confusing someone else's vids with the MG vids.

After reading quite a bit on the subject, I'm steering more towards cold ethanol extraction than ISO. I like the idea of using super chilled ethanol with dry ice and hopefully bypass the winterization step. I'm still trying to decide if it would be better to do a room temp or warm extraction to try and get all of the thc and then try to dewax/degum with filtration methods. Something tells me it is better to just extract cold, because there would be quite a bit of loss in product with all the filtration steps used with really crude oil.

I have a simple distillation apparatus that works well for recovering smaller amounts of solvent. Also, I was thinking a regular moonshine still would be good for larger amounts and then finish it off in the simple distillation setup.

Most of the product will be going into vape cartridges so I am not to worried about it getting decarbed in the recovery process. The recovery setup does have a vacuum adapter so I could distill at a lower temp if necessary. I tried running it with a vacuum, but the heat mantle doesn't have a stirbar so I was getting serious bumping in the boiling flask. I still have a lot to learn about running a still under vacuum. The solvent boils way faster and is way more sensitive to temp changes compared to a open air system