What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

pinkish purple slime on rockwool roots ?

catalyte

Veteran
Hey,

Just looking for some info or advice regarding this pinkish-purple colored slime that showed up in recent days on the roots of an Mk Ultra Crop on day 36 of flower.

-These Mk Ultras are in 3 gallon fabric pots half filled with Grodan Rockwool Croutons and topped with Growstones.

-The pinkish purple slime is only seen on the roots poking thru the fabric pots, not on the Rockwool.....

-Plants are fed on a 4x4 Flood and Drain tray 3 times per day during lights on.

-The plants are very healthy, with no signs of stress or other problems. Environment is in check: Day temps 23-27c, night 18-22c. Humidity always between 45-65%.

-Reservoir temp is always between 68-70f the whole crop.

-The Water used is very clean city tap water with tons of chlorine and chloramine.

-Reservoir changed every 7 days. Only H&G base nutrients, no organics....

Any info or experience with this issue would be much appreciated! :tiphat:

-catalyte

troutman

Seed Whore
Sounds like some kind of bacteria.

I wonder if a very dilute solution of hydrogen peroxide could fix that.

Something like 0.25%-0.5% in strength?

I'm not sure though.

catalyte

Veteran
I thought about h2o2 - will most likely go that route unless anyone out there has a better suggestion !

Attachments

• B421C248-6711-4569-90C7-252BECBF4363.jpg
    B421C248-6711-4569-90C7-252BECBF4363.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 30

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Have you tried a Hydroguard type product. I'm surprised flooding works so well, except for presumably at the bottom with no air and light causing that.

catalyte

Veteran
^ i haven't ever tried Hydroguard. Would be interested to hear positive results from this product though...

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Well I happen to use Hydroguard, because it was free, and I don't have any pink slime, but then I water from the top in square Hydrofarm buckets.

jonnyfli

maybes try a little food grade hydrogen peroxide other than that they look terrific for 36 days of flower :)

chronosync

Well-stoned member
H2O2 shouldnt hurt

I recently used a %3 solution out of bottle to flood a hempy cup for 5 minutes and then flushed with base nutes. I'm pretty sure a 50/50 solution of %3 H2O2 will dissolve that gunk and then I would definitely get something like hydroguard, it's the bacteria in it that do the work for you. People say the botanicare stuff works great although its kind of pricey I do appreciate that they tell you the species (Bacillus Amyloliquefaciens) they use in it as well as the fact that its a single species and not just the "kitchen sink" of microbes. I have yet to use it, currently toying with V+B +Life

progro

No need to worry there mate. Nice and healthy but yeah, peroxide will do the trick and add oxygen as well. Lovin your work brother!

beta

Veteran
It's cyanobacteria, it's common in all water sources (especially wells). I use 2 drops of plain chlorine bleach per gallon to keep it at bay in my cloner and reservoir.

It SERIOUSLY inhibits root growth so it's very important to keep it under control.

catalyte

Veteran
thanks alot for the input :yes:

these MK Ultra's only have exactly 14 or so days left in the flowering cycle according to my clone source before they cross the finish line so i can't see this being a disaster cause i don't see the leaves or flowers looking unhealthy or stressed in any way so i'm sure they are just using up reserves to ripen up and will finish just fine.