What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Colorado "legalization" going to affect prices nationwide?

As the the title says, do you guys think the new laws, or lack of laws for that matter, in CO will affect the prices of weed in adjoining states and furthermore, nationwide? Supposedly people will be able to have 6 plants outdoors...so lets say 0.5% of CO population (that's one half of one percent, or 5140 people) decide to take advantage of this freedom, and assume 1lb/plant outdoor...that's over 30,000 pounds per outdoor season, of "legally" grown pot that people also didn't risk their freedom, and their money on filters, electricity, carbon filters etc, to grow...so I'm guessing would love to "liquidate" it at super cheap prices. I know selling it would still be against the law....but just the fact that you could grow it without fear or much investment in gear, that a lot of people will try and capitalize...

Yikesy

Of course it will. Look what mmj did to prices. Legalization will be worse.

Welcome big-pharma and Phillip Morris, who have been preparing for this for decades. Taxing marijuana at $3,000 /pound would be great revenue, but when you devalue an artificially inflated product, tax revenues drop, and money derived from sales will be hoarded in off shore tax havens by people who are already rich.

Pre-legalization, millions of regular folk and lay people can supplement their income, and increase their spending power within their communities. Growers support all kinds of local industry. Money goes into the hands of many!

Post-legalization, millions of regular folk are put out of business. Pot prices plummet, and Phillip Morris takes the money out of the hands of many, and retains profits in the hands of few. Local economies suffer, but greedy ass fucking potheads get to smoke on their front porch instead of having to go out back.

Great choice, morons.

gdbud

No because 1/2 of the those 5140 will love their plants to death if they have never grown before.

jayjayfrank

Veteran
i look forward to small batch high altitude full melt clear dome dry sift from colorado.

colorado famers markerts are about to be crazy.

i think everything is going greenhouse and we are all smoking hash.

this is excellent news for the vast majority of people. I do not live there but I may move! :D
Living without fear is priceless!

for the people that don't live there, that supplement their income (legally, of course, MMJ style) it is horrible news. I understand the argument that it never should have been illegal and sold at the prices it has in the first place, but Yikesys first post is sad but true. Bittersweet day for a lot of us.

BrownThumb

The market is not dead until it's legalized across the board. Now we're going to be hearing a lot more about how people are growing it in CO and WA and trucking it to other states where it is worth considerably more. CA has not changed since this morning and having grown up here I know there is a huge gourmet supply that will continue to be valuable for at least another year or two. Should the triangle be worried? Of course...now it is time to think about going back to school for that degree in forestry...oh yeah, budget cuts....sorry.

S

Scrappy-doo

To everyone not in Colorado... Better make those dolla bills while you still can. I for one am putting up another light.

Yikesy

The market is not dead until it's legalized across the board. Now we're going to be hearing a lot more about how people are growing it in CO and WA and trucking it to other states where it is worth considerably more. CA has not changed since this morning and having grown up here I know there is a huge gourmet supply that will continue to be valuable for at least another year or two. Should the triangle be worried? Of course...now it is time to think about going back to school for that degree in forestry...oh yeah, budget cuts....sorry.

The fact is, legalization will do much more harm than good, economically. The government, through prohibition, has artificially inflated the price of a product that is easy to produce, and benefits millions of people and local economies alike.

Weed growers spend money!!!!

Weed growers have a nice harvest, and:

1. Go out to nice dinners, leaving nice tips for servers, patronizing local restaurants.
2. Go on vacations. Stimulating tourism, other locale industries.
3. Buy cars, products, etc.

Growers pay taxes on everything they purchase.

Big-pharma/Phillip Morris, take their profits, park their money in tax havens, stocks, and generally hoard millions of dollars that would otherwise be injected into the economy and spread around to millions of people.

This is not the time for legalization, and the voters in Colorado and Washington have forever fucked our beloved industry. Thanks!

yeah weed smokers should still be treated like criminals

This wasn't my intention.....as I said I firmly believe it should have never been illegal, which made it sell at such prices. I'm not saying "god damn it should still be illegal"..I'm glad it's becoming legal again.....I'm just saying, for those of us that supplement income with it, it's bittersweet news.

miscbrah3284

Veteran
if you dont think prices will drop.... that green crack youre smoking is actually crack..drop nationwide? no not nationwide. Prices in CO will drop.....there will be a flood of users and growers....what this will do give CO growers incentive to send product out of state though to get higher prices for their product.

dddaver

Veteran
ANYBODY who says THEY know what will happen is wrong most of the time. History has shown that to be fact over and over.

Apparently some people never grasp that old adage that says if you don't learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it.

That simple truth not only offends me as a certified teacher of history with a degree in it, but just as any person who has any experience at all in life. I guess people who live in glass houses shouldn't get stoned...wait. :biggrin:

This doesn't say you're wrong, just that you CAN'T know what will happen. That's just stupid.

Accurate speculation and prediction don't come from stupidity.

gingerale

Veteran
The fact is, legalization will do much more harm than good, economically. The government, through prohibition, has artificially inflated the price of a product that is easy to produce, and benefits millions of people and local economies alike.

Why the fuck do you think that price is so high? Because of the risk of having the government take everything you own and throw you in prison! As the Brits might say: are you fucking daft?

Weed growers spend money!!!!

...that they made hand over fist from a public that is by and large NOT rich, and with extremely sloppy and inefficient methods of production and distribution! Now the weed growers (who survive, i.e. not you) will be in competition to continually increase efficiency and save money. Weed prices will go through the floor, meaning the public at large smokes much more dope for less money. Everyone benefits....except the parasitic scumbags who are pissing their pants scared at the idea of competition.

Weed growers have a nice harvest, and:

1. Go out to nice dinners, leaving nice tips for servers, patronizing local restaurants.

News flash: You just got replaced by two workers who do the same job for a quarter of the price! The server doesn't need you anymore, now his restaurant is packed with too many customers to serve! Thanks to the now dirt cheap prices for weed, he can serve all these willing and able hands while being high as fuck all day long, legally, and going home with more dollars in his pocket at the end of the day! Tell me, what the fuck does he need you for, you arrogant and shortsighted prick? You can die in the gutter for all he cares. Less money coming out of his pocket means he has more control over his life, instead of having to rely on the generosity of oh-so-noble lords such as yourself!

2. Go on vacations. Stimulating tourism, other locale industries.

You don't think restaurant servers like to go on vacation sometimes?

3. Buy cars, products, etc.

Do servers not spend more money in the economy when they spend less on weed?

Growers pay taxes on everything they purchase.

Don't companies? And don't they make much larger and more regular purchases, adding more money and more stability to the economy?

Big-pharma/Phillip Morris, take their profits, park their money in tax havens, stocks, and generally hoard millions of dollars that would otherwise be injected into the economy and spread around to millions of people.

Complete and utter hogwash. What about the countless thousands of blue collar people who will be employed by the "Phillip Morris" and other huge companies in the weed world? Do those workers hoard dollars in their Swiss bank accounts or do they "inject" them into the economy? Do you think they might have hopes and dreams and families to feed too? What makes you deserve those dollars more than millions of other hard working citizens who are now enabled to participate in this industry, since they don't have to take huge risks to do so?

This is not the time for legalization, and the voters in Colorado and Washington have forever fucked our beloved industry. Thanks!

No, they've forever fucked you. And let me tell you, I couldn't be happier about it. You are the parasitic weakling that free markets are highly effective at rooting out and destroying.

Clearly, from your overly defensive and negative reaction you are scared to death of the idea of having to compete in a free and open market.

You are so insecure for a good reason: because you know you are utterly worthless and have nothing to offer a legal industry. Trust me, I couldn't be more amused to see pissants like you squirming and screaming so loudly after such a strong blow and victory for justice and righteousness has been struck. I hope you starve in the streets, worm.