What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

turning weed into tea?

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
have any of you ever made tea out of MJ. like with either a coffee maker or tea bags or the old stove top method?

I like to make some every now and again. I think Ill start making more. I usually get a good relaxing buzz from it. + because its hot is also soothes my throat.

I like to mix MJ with other kinds of teas to get a good mixture of flavors.
the only reason I don't ever get really really high off it is cuz thus far its only been the lower grade kind of buds. so If I could just grow a lot of good buds then it would work better.

so have any of you tried this before? if so what was the result you got?

STUNKY

Someone had a post on weed coffe or something like that the other day.. When I was younger and had lots of brick weed ,I boiled up about half or more up and me and my buddy drank it all.. We headed to the mall we noticed everything was like a picture .. Once we got in the mall we were ready to leave . Extreme paranoia and everything looked crazy.. Not sure we're we went from there ..

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You'll need some kind of fat to dissolve the cannabinoids for an effective tea. I like to simmer the buds or leaves in whole milk and then add that milk to my tea or coffee. It doesn't take much to get a good high even with lower or mid grade buds.

m314

ICMag Donor
Veteran
yuk milk is nasty. got any thing else to try?

Flavored coffee creamer? Anything with fat will help extract the active cannabinoids from the bud. I'm guessing most non-dairy fats would float on top instead of blending in like milk or cream. I've heard some people use coconut oil, but I haven't tried it in a drink like that.

An alcohol or glycerin tincture would work too. If you make them strong enough, you can get high from a few drops added to your tea.

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
We, my wife and I, like the tea very much (pure, with milk and/or other herbs or blended in black tea) and just a few minutes back tested some new strains. Well, I have to admit that we only use leaves for its flavour and effects on minor illnesses and not buds to get stoned. Thus far, we found out that the leaves have to be dried like buds to give a good smooth taste (half dried Super Silver stinks like crap whereas the Passion #1 has a great taste but we already ran out of it :( ).
Back to your topic on tea for 'flying lessons': As teen, I drank quite a bit of tea for that reason and experimented with it. From that experiences (beside logic reasons), I can only support the previous writers; no fat (or fat-binding proteins like defat milk ;) ), no trip. I also think that the taste of high-resin tea gets a lot better with milk/cream present. It looses its spicy, pungent, fir resin aroma because the cannabinoids and terpenes get trapped within the fat/protein droplets. Waaaayyy better to enjoy in every respect!
I don't appreciate the alcohol style that much, though it works quite nicely: Here again, the alcohol helps as solvent but this time it ameliorates the penetration of the constituents into the mucosa and papilla and therefore the brew really 'stings' *blork*. Depending on the strain, it may feel like swallowing a whole pine forest and that taste remains for an hour or longer -> messed up my trips a few times...
For getting just high, I prefered a yoghurt with cannabutter (tried also tea with cannabutter but the fat film floating on the surface was simply disgusting!) ;) .

BigSteve

I make tea quite often. I use moderately vaporized buds and a little fresh buds. Usually more vaped bud than fresh bud. If you use grinded herb you will end up with a mush that should be kept in a coffee filter. If you use bigger chunks you can end up with edible weed pieces that get you messed up.

I boil water. Take off boil and let sit for a moment to cool. After a few minutes I throw in the goods. After some steeping I remove and serve. You can make it taste great and still knock you out. I'll throw in some black tea sometimes to help me stay awake.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
If you use bigger chunks you can end up with edible weed pieces that get you messed up.
I love those! Mixed with honey, maybe some spices, orange zest or raisins, or with almond paste and rolled into small pralines. It's like Turkish delights, just better :D .

Tripsick

Experienced?
Veteran
milk does work well... or butter then melt butter in what ever you are drinking... or Glycerin tincture if you have time to wait a while..

mylo123

Well I made a tea recently.

What it was was already used up vape weed. I have loads of it.

Recipe was something like a 2 cups of milk. 4 tablespoons of vaped weed. Chai Coconut tea bag (or any Chai tea bag really)...and a tablespoon of honey to taste. You simmer (not boil) the milk/chai/vaped weed mixture for about half an hour. Well it was delicious but damn we were up until 4 in the morning talking and having sex. I was super ripped and it was a great night. If I were to do it again I would half up the amount of vaped weed I put in to kind of mellow it down a tad.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
but damn we were up until 4 in the morning talking and having sex....//....If I were to do it again I would half up the amount of vaped weed
I see your point... it can be really annoying some times trying to reach the climax for hours but she just won't stop talking :D ! My advice, next time, take the half amoung just for you but give her the double dose :biglaugh: . ROFLMAO
Though, why you wanna 'mellow IT down a tad' is beyond my imagination (usually, people try the opposite with these small blue pills)... :confused:

Growcephus

Veteran
I like, and use, the milk / cream approach.

Heat the milk, add your cannabis ( I use ABV), let the fats from the milk / cream soak up all your THC goodness, filter, and add to your beverage of choice.

I saw an Indian cannabis chai recipe somewhere on line that looked pretty interesting, as it added a few spices to the recipe that sounded pretty tasty.

Luck, regardless.

justpassnthru

Veteran
I don't much care for pot tasting tea or cream--not even if I make it myself.

E-Z Coffee Expresso/Cappo with cream..from the other thread that was mentioned; tried it and just love it. If I put cannabis cream in my coffee, it tastes lousey!

Ground bud in with the coffee grounds, perfect.

:coffee:That is my daily medication now. Hardly light up anymore; E-Z and quick!:biggrin:jpt

full time daddy
Veteran
I like stem tea with a lil honey only use the small stems from broken up buds not the big branches or main stocks boil just as you would for any other tea don't get you a buzz but taste is killer

Only Ornamental

Veteran
@Samporasa: As stated several times in this thread, the answer is YES, we can :D .
IMHO Dried leaves from plants in vegetation have a better, milder taste than leaves from flowering plants whereas fresh leaves are a bit scratchy, bitter and adstringent. Leaves from 'finished' plants can also need a good cure like the buds to fully develop a better and finer aroma.

Samporasa

Thanks mate. Right now my plant is in veg mode. I was planning on drying leaves and roast them slightly before making tea to get more aroma.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
roast them slightly
Sounds like a nice idea, let us know how it went!
Forgot to mention; plants in growth (especially in warm and sunny weather) accumulate mainly sugar (carbohydrates) as energy reserve and switch metabolism dramatically towards amino acid (proteins) accumulation when the season gets cold and dark. Sugar, starch etc. gives the tea a nicer taste than proteins. That's also true for smoke...
Thought that I read somewhere on the board about different types of trichomes: That is stem, growing leaves and bud trichomes; each with a unique use for the plant but also a different smell or terpene profile.

Samporasa

right now its warm and sunny will take some trims and cure them right now. And will definitely post some tea making experience later. Thanks mate for this information.

Latest posts

Latest posts