What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zack pls stop

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
they look fucking amazing. that xzhibit thing geeks me out every time. could you explain your ventilation pics? is that long hose intake? you have it so long to cut airflow down without a speed dial? def losing some cfms there, just curious. again, superclean setup. ladies look perfect. id be proud.

20sackzack

they look fucking amazing. that xzhibit thing geeks me out every time. could you explain your ventilation pics? is that long hose intake? you have it so long to cut airflow down without a speed dial? def losing some cfms there, just curious. again, superclean setup. ladies look perfect. id be proud.

Good point dude, I didn't even think about that long ducting cutting down my flow... I kinda just ran it down to the floor out of convenience at the time. This weekend gonna mount the fan to the ceiling as close to the tent as I can and put the filter right on the fans intake. Any extra air taking heat off that 1000w helps. I might also try using pantyhose instead of a furnace filter if it works well enough. Don't want dust in my hood

I currently have the fan pulling air from the room the tent is in through the hood, out the other side and then out the window. So partly sealed. Partly because some air leaks out the hood creating slight positive pressure in the tent. But sealed enough that humidity will rise to over 90% during lights off without the dehui and ac. I didn't realise how much heat the dehumidifier creates though.. Hope my power bill isn't too killer this month lol

Great work in the tent, looking nice awesome... Been forever since I've got cuts at dr orders.. Who's making the drops there now?

20sackzack

You are rocking that tent out, brutha! Great show!! :good:

Thanks for the kind words VP, glad to have u stop by bro

Great work in the tent, looking nice awesome... Been forever since I've got cuts at dr orders.. Who's making the drops there now?

Thanks yo 🙏 I believe doctor's orders only carries real california clones now. Which is awesome because they are top notch quality and aren't at risk from being contaminated by other possibly sketchy clones from who knows where. #realcaliforniaclones check em out, highly recommended 🙏

I now have all my current strains backed up. Pretty cool cause it's the first time I've ever cloned anything. Got some scragglers still chillin in the tray, but I got at least one of everything rooted. I got some more supplies for cloning so im gonna take more cuts when I clean out my canopy again soon

PwV376j.jpg

L2x4cEj.jpg

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
good think you rooted everything those stragglers look scraggly. my clone rates started at 95% years ago and gradually went down hill over time. i recently changed a few things and got back to 90, moral = dont get complacent.

GastroGrower

Looking great. I checked out a Recreational grow not too long ago and they had their entire mother room in beds. 4 rows with probably 6 4'x4' beds full of mother plants. So much soil!

I've considered it if I were to go back to soil, but I change things up a lot in my tents so it would probably be too much heavy stuff to move around if necessary. If I ever get a chance to grow outside I definitely want to do some big beds.

20sackzack

Thanks GG, that's interesting they had their mother's in beds. They must have some big momma's and need lots of clones. I think the idea behind flowering in beds is maximum root space allowing for more bud development. Although, I'm sure it allows for faster veg times too. I could definitely see how a big bed might not be the best idea in an apartment or someplace like that though. Also, once the plants are in they're in. No taking em out like you just had your girls in your recent pics

I took this shot last night right as the hps turned on. Made for some interesting lighting

rBZWblR.jpg

Flowers are forming!

odJW1CX.jpg

sturgeongeneral

Veteran
looks good man. ive always been curious about running beds like this. what do you do with all the medium after you crop???till and reuse??

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
looking great Z :good:

i dig the bed and i agree that it's the way to go when growing organic indoors and DEF when growing outdoors it's the obvious choice
more roots more shoots

i like what you did to hold the bed edges out so they don't fall in, those stakes around the edges. i hate how those grow bags edges can fold in and prevent proper watering... seems like you created a simple fix for that on the large scale

looks like you got that bed really full up to the brim with soil
are you planning on adding any mulch (other than the ganja leaves)?

Last edited:

20sackzack

looks good man. ive always been curious about running beds like this. what do you do with all the medium after you crop???till and reuse??

Most people who use beds run a recycled organic no till soil mix that gets reused over and over. With some top dressing of amendments to provide nutrients and food for the soil ecosystem, these beds get better with time.

However I decided to do my first run in this tent using roots 707 bagged soil for convenience. I plan on most likely replacing it the next run with a custom soil mix like what I described above. I will try and reuse the 707 for outside veggie gardening if I can

looking great Z :good:

i dig the bed and i agree that it's the way to go when growing organic indoors and DEF when growing outdoors it's the obvious choice
more roots more shoots

i like what you did to hold the bed edges out so they don't fall in, those stakes around the edges. i hate how those grow bags edges can fold in and prevent proper watering... seems like you created a simple fix for that on the large scale

looks like you got that bed really full up to the brim with soil
are you planning on adding any mulch (other than the ganja leaves)?

Actually, its hard to tell from the pics but I think the bamboo stakes are doing the opposite of what u described lol. The grow bag I used has pretty shallow walls with no support whatsoever. So when I dumped the last 20 gal bag of soil in the sides started floping out spilling dirt everywhere.

So I kind of threaded the stakes into the top edge of the bag then pulled them all towards the center and fastened them to hold the soil in. So I made the top edge pull in like u said out of necessity to hold all the dirt in. It's literally a bag of soil lol. However, like u noticed the top of the soil goes all the way up to the brim so there isn't any folding of loose material on top

I think I'm doing an ok job of watering evenly. I'm using a submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket with a hose and watering wand. I wouldn't be able to water all the way to the back any other way without dumping water on buds. This way I go underneath the canopy and can reach all the way back

I've been wanting to mulch since day 1 but can't decide on what to use? Was thinking a layer of alfalfa straw but don't really want to buy a big ass bale just for that... got any suggestions?

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Most people who use beds run a recycled organic no till soil mix that gets reused over and over. With some top dressing of amendments to provide nutrients and food for the soil ecosystem, these beds get better with time.

However I decided to do my first run in this tent using roots 707 bagged soil for convenience. I plan on most likely replacing it the next run with a custom soil mix like what I described above. I will try and reuse the 707 for outside veggie gardening if I can

Actually, its hard to tell from the pics but I think the bamboo stakes are doing the opposite of what u described lol. The grow bag I used has pretty shallow walls with no support whatsoever. So when I dumped the last 20 gal bag of soil in the sides started floping out spilling dirt everywhere.

So I kind of threaded the stakes into the top edge of the bag then pulled them all towards the center and fastened them to hold the soil in. So I made the top edge pull in like u said out of necessity to hold all the dirt in. It's literally a bag of soil lol. However, like u noticed the top of the soil goes all the way up to the brim so there isn't any folding of loose material on top

I think I'm doing an ok job of watering evenly. I'm using a submersible pump in a 5 gallon bucket with a hose and watering wand. I wouldn't be able to water all the way to the back any other way without dumping water on buds. This way I go underneath the canopy and can reach all the way back

I've been wanting to mulch since day 1 but can't decide on what to use? Was thinking a layer of alfalfa straw but don't really want to buy a big ass bale just for that... got any suggestions?
Look on craiglist and see if there is any locals in your area who make earthworm castings. A 5 gallon bucket of premium castings should only run you 15-20 bucks if you get it from a proper source.
Nice build and descriptions, I enjoyed reading through the thread.

Last edited:

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran

get them on amazon

[YOUTUBEIF]2J58QtfPAcs[/YOUTUBEIF]

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
that is a good idea for sure but i didnt pick up on any confidence from either of those fools. they seemed to have a difficult time describing what mulch does in general, let alone rice hulls specifically. ive got a half a brick of rice left over, but im skeptical of using that in a no till bed. it seems to me that over a short time they would end up being part of your soil, and then youve got much more drainage than you previously did, creating the need to water more often and partially defeating the purpose of mulch. im still planning on getting a nice clean square bale of straw to mulch my beds with. that way it will pretty much only get into the actual soil when its breaking down. and i could pull it back to plant in it easier without it all falling into the hole, ect ect.
i just got the 2.0 chunky, cant wait to smoke her later this year!
whats up dubzack

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
that is a good idea for sure but i didnt pick up on any confidence from either of those fools. they seemed to have a difficult time describing what mulch does in general, let alone rice hulls specifically. ive got a half a brick of rice left over, but im skeptical of using that in a no till bed. it seems to me that over a short time they would end up being part of your soil, and then youve got much more drainage than you previously did, creating the need to water more often and partially defeating the purpose of mulch. im still planning on getting a nice clean square bale of straw to mulch my beds with. that way it will pretty much only get into the actual soil when its breaking down. and i could pull it back to plant in it easier without it all falling into the hole, ect ect.
whats up dubzack
Who are you referring to?
Edit: my bad

Last edited:

20sackzack

Look on craiglist and see if there is any locals in your area who make earthworm castings. A 5 gallon bucket of premium castings should only run you 15-20 bucks if you get it from a proper source.
Nice build and descriptions, I enjoyed reading through the thread.

Thanks for stopping by phenome, I checked cl and found some people near me that are offering a great deal on worms and casting. 1000-2000 worms and a 60lb sack of castings for 25 bucks. I'm definitely going to need to check into that. Been wanting to start a little worm farm for a long time now.

When u use castings as a mulch do they tend to form a crusty surface layer that is hard for water to penetrate? Because that's what happened to me with Malibu compost before when I tried using it as a mulch layer... Didn't work at all

get them on amazon

Rice hulls huh, that actually might be a good choice, peaceful valley sells them and is about 25 minutes away. Not sure it would be worth the cost getting them off Amazon though. Thanks for the tip homie, I didn't think of that. Oh and I really liked that cloning vid u posted a while back with the second guy from this one. Funny voice but he seems to know his shit

whats up dubzack

Dubzack lol I like that. U bring up a good point about the hulls eventually mixing into ur dirt. Although, I've also read that a thriving micro-herd will break down rice hulls into compost pretty fast. Which could be good as hulls are full of silica

Let's get some pics on this page. Here's a throwback to last summer showing the straw and living mulch completely surrounding my pots. Plant was a citrus sap (gg4xtangie)

2elb6yx.jpg

I used an bale of whatever organic straw my local feed store had to mulch my outdoor pots lost year. It worked well and was manageable. I'm thinking I'm gonna probably do that again and use the extra for my raised veggie bed. Organic is important though as other kinds could be sprayed with nasty shit

She's a freak! Some mutant leaves on my animal cookies

ALi9CyS.jpg

NBCI38N.jpg

From the forest floor

uzpBu51.jpg

And a canopy shot for shits and gigs

gquizi1.jpg

Phenome

-
ICMag Donor
Thanks for stopping by phenome, I checked cl and found some people near me that are offering a great deal on worms and casting. 1000-2000 worms and a 60lb sack of castings for 25 bucks. I'm definitely going to need to check into that. Been wanting to start a little worm farm for a long time now.

When u use castings as a mulch do they tend to form a crusty surface layer that is hard for water to penetrate? Because that's what happened to me with Malibu compost before when I tried using it as a mulch layer... Didn't work at all

Rice hulls huh, that actually might be a good choice, peaceful valley sells them and is about 25 minutes away. Not sure it would be worth the cost getting them off Amazon though. Thanks for the tip homie, I didn't think of that. Oh and I really liked that cloning vid u posted a while back with the second guy from this one. Funny voice but he seems to know his shit

Dubzack lol I like that. U bring up a good point about the hulls eventually mixing into ur dirt. Although, I've also read that a thriving micro-herd will break down rice hulls into compost pretty fast. Which could be good as hulls are full of silica

Let's get some pics on this page. Here's a throwback to last summer showing the straw and living mulch completely surrounding my pots. Plant was a citrus sap (gg4xtangie)

View Image

I used an bale of whatever organic straw my local feed store had to mulch my outdoor pots lost year. It worked well and was manageable. I'm thinking I'm gonna probably do that again and use the extra for my raised veggie bed. Organic is important though as other kinds could be sprayed with nasty shit

She's a freak! Some mutant leaves on my animal cookies

View Image

View Image

From the forest floor

View Image

And a canopy shot for shits and gigs

View Image
Yeah when you lay down a thick layer it does become a bit hard to penetrate with water at first. A good way to avoid that is, water lightly (enough to lightly pool the surface) every plant. Then come back to each plant and actually water. By this time (depending on how many plants.) the surface mulch layer has imbibed enough water to go through watering each plant as usual with no pooling. I usually avoid the really muddy type earthworm castings and like the dry corse bigger particle castings. Nice deal on the castings. Try and find out who makes them and what with. Some people will just feed the earthworms manure, those are the dudes with the best deals. Try and find someone who feeds them fruit, yard compost, coffee grounds (just good stuff). Better yet, the best way to get something done is do it yourself. That would be the ideal method.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Can't believe I haven't seen this thread till now. I won't miss any updates now, lol. You were saying about the light hood leaking air some. You can use that same duct tape you used for connecting the ductwork to seal the lights. Works like a charm and better than "duck tape" .

Regular duck tape will come undone in spots from the heat created by the light. But that silver shit will stay in place and seal things up for as long as you want it that way.

Really digging your bed as well man. I'm coming real close to setting up a bed like that myself. I think though I'm gonna do a small bed (10-20 gals) first and see how I like it before I commit to using more than half of my floor space for a single container(4x4).

nameless

bowlbreath
Veteran
i hate to continue supporting these fuckers but the gorilla glue tape is the best by far. i suggest we all rack a few rolls at any given opportunity. i will never give them a single dime but i need that tape. im robbing them every chance i get.

yeah i was referring to the guys in the video lol. you guys made some excellent counter points i havent had a chance to see how they break down over time yet. its certainly something i will keep in mind i have alot of rice hulls on hand.

pics look great man, how did that tangie glue turn out? im running them side by side now and the thought of the two together makes me curious

Latest posts

Latest posts