What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tropical Growing

Chaman

Hello,
First off, thanks for stop'n in and checking out the thread, for those who know me from Overgrow, a strong hug and very glad to keep in touch after so long and the tragic loss of Overgrow. Blessed indeed my friends and hope we can keep in touch for much longer.

Those who don't I'm a Costa Rican living just under the 10* N paralel, and live in a tropical paradice with all sorts of micro climates but 2 basic seasons dry and wet. I'm about 2000mt + sea level and live in a more tropical humid area. I get 12hrs light and night all yr, there is about a 30min change or so but thats it...and temps are prety much the same also, some times temps may very about 20* from night to day, and can bring out some nice colors.

Not only do I love and enjoy to grow my herb, but also collect orquids and other flowers so you may see alot of various pics or of some high lights of some of the places I visit. Of course your all more then welcome to share your own pics any time, also if you may have any questions feel free to ask, I'll see about answer'n as best I can.

My strong is Tropical Sativas, more so Colombian strians, but have enjoy'd many others from around the world thanks to so many kind Herbsman that have been so kind to bless me with such genetics, my enviroment favors them and it's easy to make them feel at home, letting them truely express themselfs.

Indicas here have some trouble in wet season, as they are mold pron. I've found insects also tend to like the shade they provide under their leafs, and to eat them too as they are alot more meaty then any sativa by far. Sativas don't shade them selfs much, and leafs are so skinny there realy isn't much room to hide under yet alone material to eat and still hang on...also they don't realy smell compared to Indicas so might not be so palable too. Indicas due to the short light period from day one....will go into flower very fast. Normaly they wont get more then 2feet tall showing sex very early, just a few weeks normaly. Have little to no branching, just a main fat cola. They are done from start to finish from seed in less then 3 months 4 tops. Clones don't work...they flower jeje need lights too get them to veg longer or keep clones and mothers. I recently built a light cabnit for this reason.

Sativas, they will sex at about 2 to 3 feet tall, normaly about a month, month and half tops. They show sex and will continue to grow...an indica could look like the sadest and smallest branch of a Sativa...jej I can smoke an indica in a day or two...jeje if I can stay awake.

Sativas will produce a great deal, and its a much more vibrant, alive and energize'n and even inspiring jeje but can easly sit and trip out on things too as you laugh your self stupid, hearts can speed up, faces can go pale jejeje but all in all your up lifted and enjoy'n every moment. Sativa clones are easy to take and will grow, and then flower, some can grow to be just as larg as the mother, but best taken then place'd in contianers to finisher sooner while you wiat for the mother .(this depending on when taken off the mother of course. If mother is mature the clone will mature soon too..if mother is in veg, the clone will veg.) Sativas will grow, from single to 3 digit leafs to 5 digits to 7 digits, Might show sex around here, then to 9 sometimes even 11 digits as they grow, go into oposite phylo, then you will sea leafs revert. Back to 9digits, to 7 to 5, 3 then 1 as they flower.

Not like an Indica that will flower while still growing in pairs and with 5digits even, aslo an Indica will show crystals very soon, as too where some Sativas may not show any untill in good flower, finaly producing a smell too. Sativas may look to be kinda runny at first along their long arms and legs, but as they grow and flower they start to fill in realy nice often covering all the stems looking like a long cat tail. If you let them they may grow over a greenhouse...or a yard ! I'd have to plant a hundred + indicas to make the production of a single good Sativa. Plus..if you age a Sativa you get the same numbing efect and couch lock sleep put your self to bed feeling, just let her amber up. So can get the best of both worlds I feel.

I love both sat and indica as their like Yin and Yang as each has thier purpose time and place, but Hybrids are the coolest as they realy let you play around and find a middle...jeje call it Balence ;). To make these crosses with landraces to creat new things while also preserve'n the landraces truely makes things a whole lot more interesting !

I hope you all enjoy the posts and pics to come, my best wishes to you and yours, and as always Jah guide and protect.

Cool & Calm
Chaman

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
great post man, its quite intresting that you get 12 hour days all year long but with your climate who can complain. in your area i dont lame you for being more of a sativa fan. but in my area i can finish alot of sativa but no 14 week plant's, none of them real long flowering girls so to speak but also in my area the indica arent much smaller than the sativa's and can reach 6 feet easy. i look forward to having you around the outdoor forum please if you have any photo's i'd love to see them

Chaman

Congo X Nigerian X Destroyer (Meao Thai x Mex x Colomb)

Congo X Nigerian X Destroyer (Meao Thai x Mex x Colomb)

Dubi, and a very kind herbman indeed shared with me some Congo X Nigierian, Destroyer and a few other crosses...I grew the Congo x Nigerian and Destroyers first, I was lucky to get a female CxN and 2 female Destoryers, One Destroyer went hermie late in flower and fertilized many plants including the CxN.

The out come wasn't planed...was more of a mistake in not cutting the Destroyer on time, seemed to never want to finish. A single cola 25cm plant that gave an Oz and a doble cola plant 25cm that gave 2Oz's. Well a tragic death of my Parrot, who was named Dubi also well while I barried him I rolled a nice fatty of the Congo X Nigerian bud, and must have droped a seed while I clear'd my herb.

Month or so maybe 2 later no one had re entered the area and grass had grown tall and other plants bushed out covering the view to where Dubi was baried till one day I made a chicken coop, and saw this beautyfull young Sativa !! ejeje man it was so wild to see a plant out of no where like that. First thing I was not tell my wife ! jeje but she saw it later, told my wife is I had nothing to do with it ! jejeje as it was growing tall into plain view by the time she saw it. I normaly only grow in my Greenhosue at home, where it can be hidden.

This plant...jeje well lets let the pics say it all, but it was tasty, strong and well worth the wait.

I found the plant a little passed my waist but in this first pic is when my wife saw her for first time...

She eventualy grew passed my neighbors roof top at the peak of thier house ! jeje then the wieght made her lean forward and over, when I went to the seatle Hempfest, i had to tie her down more too...her branches where as long as I am tall (6.2 feet/1.92mts) and buds wider or thicker then my size 11.5 shoe my legs and arms looked like stick figures next to her.

She had Power, taste, yield ! a long wait but well worth it ! and grew in extreme vigor...almost before my eyes, can only imaigen if I had prepared the soil better, or maybe fed her something...instead I did nothing...indeed nothing at all !!! even sat and watched her under the pooring rain. You never seen it rain till you live in a tropical country I promise buckets of water fall..it's like a blanked, not letting you see even more then a few feet into the thickness of it...load roaring sound and rivers apear out of no where...yard seems like a floaded swamp sometimes...I got plenty of trees and thank goodness my home was built over where a river used to pass so can't go to deep before you brake a shovel on rocks and boalders ! so this helps in getting the water sucked down after a while, but knee high rubber boots are your best friend in wet season indeed, and a pancho. Sun comes out too...can even get sun burnt on cloudy days, but it rains all the time !

The last pic...well see I got a larg dry box in my greenhouse, it was full !! and only wit htops, then I had too cut the mid section which you see hang'n here but the last part of the harvest didn't come fore about another 2 weeks before any of this was dry to take it's place. This plant yielded a great deal !

Chaman

Chaman

Harvest time ! jeje I had to do it in parts for one reason ran out of space to dry, and then I ran out of places to store it !

Even lost my bedroom shower for a few months before i finaly got it all stored properly..wife wasn't to happy about this.

I had ganja all over...open a closet and shoe boxes where full ! and it reaked so nice jeje

Chaman

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
man thats luck right there i wish i was as fortunate as you. you must have really fertile soil for it to thrive like that with no feeding's. do your wife smoke? if so i bet she wasnt complain when it was laying aorund every where. have a nice night.

Closet Funk

CeRtIfIeD OrGaNiC!
Veteran
I wish I could grow outdoors like that. I would love to have a huge plant with tons of buds. That plant in the secong pic is insane. That's how cannabis should be grown.

Chaman

Not realy fair to compare the African queen i had to an Indica dom plant like in these fotos below. These indicas like states before are normaly done, by the time the Sativa is just putting out her first hairs....With my lights I plant to veg indicas longer in hopes for a more mature bud, that should be more powerfull, and tasty indeed with a yield to make it worth the light bill.

Thanks for the kind words sm0kateer4204, hope you check out th thread often.

There are also areas here the favor indias as the tropical dry areas, Guanacaste for example. Where I live its much to humid to be honest, i'll still grow them cuase i'm stuburn, but they get mold in the end, its alsmot inedable, In my dry season they do awesome though, evn with the short days what i get is top notch, it's just there isnt much of it...

Cool & Calm
Chaman

Chaman

jeje thanks for he kindness folks, but na my wife doens't smoke...actually she is a licenced Pharma...jej she can sell drugs ! Shes my real law I guess, cool thing is I can convince her most the time to look the other way when it comes to my plants and all.

As you can see these indicas I did out doors and in soil, very fertial indeed, but nothing...jejej see the one next to the lettace ? kinda sad....jeje but was a damn graet fatty !!! jeje 2 wait 2 almost 3 months to smoke a fatty kinda sucks though ;)

Nice to mix with my sats indeed though. Some already have and have some sat in them as they mature above but are Indica dom over all still, got to cross agian I guess ;)

I've found it realy nice though to cross high land sativas due to their speed and size (fast and small) to larger low land sats too that can be large and take their time, i've gotten great results with out loosing the Sativa edge, as i can when I cross to an Indica style...kinda dolls the vibe with the indicas.

Chaman

Chaman

Thanks,
I feel its due to the temp drop at night, when we get bad cold fronts i get the best colors !!! eje durning the day though even if it's windy the sun is out and heats things up indeed.

But that temp drop at night will due it, not insufiecint nutes as my soil is ver fertile and I use great organics too from family farms along with guanos and water from fish tanks for dif difenencies if where the case...so it's like that sauce in the states jeje "its in there" plants take what they need when they need it.

Nature has made sure i don't over due it too it seems as my plants seem to be very healthy and provide me with much love in return or sure.

The Sats will aslo due this, they don't necesarly have to carry any indica in them, My colombiasn have gone purple and blue for example. My Destroyer too which is a 3 wat say pulled out some awesome colors too.

Looks like I gota clock out soon, so ya'll have a great night
Chaman

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Heyyyyyyyyyy Chaman!!!!!
Glad to know that you´ve started a thread!!
Pulls up a chair :woohoo:

sm0kateer4204

Veteran
if you do crank the grow light on for the indica's i dont think you will regret it, even if you kept them under it for a month the extra growth would add lots of yeild. by the way the plant next to lettuce is crazy ive never seen a plant stretch so little during flowering. and yeah the purpling is most deffinetly from the low tempratures. i hope you enojy your say here at icmag its a good place to be.

G

Amazing plants I really wish i could have an outdoor grow season like yours. I am attempting to grow hawaiin indoors at the moment the first sativa i have grown. Good luck with your growing!

Chaman

Neilspotshop,
Thanks, indeed I'm blessesd with a full yr grow season, with the lights i'll be able to play even a little more, but got to always remind myself not to over do it...more then once ive had plants that overgrow the entire greenhouse, I give alot away, smoke a ton, but still lots of it rots away....sad to see great buds rot forgotten in the back of a closet.

I and I way is to realy only to grow what you need...once you got what you want, why you gona want more ? So i'm try'n not to let me eyes be my market jeje as what you see is what you want...who doesn't want too see their garden overflow'n ejejej but in reality it could get my family introuble, figure a ew plants should only get me in trouble.

I'm try'n to save up for a peace of land in one of the tropical dry areas...almost had a chance to go live there but my wife turn'd down the job, maybe she saw the overwhelming glow in my eyes as I sized up every house we went to go see, only a few hrs drive too, beaches...man, jeje be consider'n to come back home even if all i got there is a tent for when we visit ~! just another world went you go to the coasts here.

sm0kateer4204,
Thanks agian, as in Overgrow I had a thread that went on or several yrs, was indeed like home...miss it evven ejejeje damn. But yes im getting to know the place, and have enjoye'd it so far....just that it took almost 2months to be able to post. jejej but thats behind me now. I thank you for choose'n to take some of your time and posting here.

RACO !!!
jeje Oye como hizo para encontrarme tan pronto ? jejej i was gona send you a link, but glad indeed o see you here!! Un gran abrazo. Your brother has been telling me of the celebreation your going to have...jje let my mouth watering...such a great meal, company, and jeje your harvest for desert !

You babies are coming along realy nice, a few have died and has made me sad...but of those I still have more to enjoy thrive'n on. The most important baby is a little behind becuase I have maybe been over protective jejeje but I'm pray'n it will be smile' n at me tomorrow every day. jeje The only Colombia RxG X Deep Chunk in the world ! jeje or maye X Willie Nelson ;)

Well much love, got some work to do but i'm here
Cool & Calm
Chaman

T.doT.Toker

Leave this place better then when i arrived
Veteran
Thats a very nice purple u got there wat strain is it? How do you colombians feel when u smoke them.. is it the original colo or is that gone for good? Keep up the good work.
Peace.

G

guest123

hey chaman , great to see you in here , ahh the joys and beauty of the tropics and growing in it ,, love the pics mate , remind me of home ..
one upsetting thing about the tropics as im finding at the moment , is cyclones ,, boy a catagory 5 cyclone blowing over your gunja patch can ruin its whole day ...

shrike

Chaman

I really like the pic with you being dwarfed by that beautiful columbian!

I'm jealous of your growing conditions. LOL

Chaman

T.doT.Toker,
To be honest, I keep as best track I can of my cross and mixes and so, but my cusin, one who made those seeds for me doesnt. He cross'd everythign to everything... jej so it's not easy at all to tell, but seem to have plenty Jamaican in them sometimes. I wish I could anser better, but he's got hundreds o these little plants all over also as they are smoked fast but are so deliciuos to smoke. As the more they mature they loose the green and turn purple ! almost fully, even the buds ! stems leafs you name it.

In wet saeson the humidty keeps the nights little warmer so you see less color sometimes as you might in just before our ry season starts as ths is our coldest time of yr.

wallyduck,
Honor to have you post here, glad the pics remind you some of home ! We do have alot in comon with out souroundings for sure, just that i got it all in a small package so its easier to get around...you might have to travel some ;) as I can be in the carribe for brackfast and at the pacific by lunch, or in 45min or so by plain...C.R is a pin head next to Ausie indeed.

I've got a Mulumbimby Mad X Bushman or Bangledesh from Loader who is an Ausie mate, i think they are Ausie x Bang as their flowering reminds me some of the bang so far. Wonderfull sativas indeed, have a few other strians from down under I enjoy very much indeed.

shrike,
jeje yeah it waas overwheled, I'm about 6,2 or 1.92mts and that plant was litteraly triple my size before she budded and started to lean forward. Felt very little indeed....jeje then I go in the greenhouse and see little dwarfs and laugh.

Chaman

Chaman

here are a few random pics from like 2weeks ago in my greenhouse, I hope to load recent ones this weekend the latest.

Right now in my grenhouse I havee severla genetics in flower, others in early and some are just be'n born ! jeje always keep'n the cycle of life i guess, can't wait to start clones and such and have mother plants aslo.

I plan to veg indica clones at least 3months before i flower them...this is ther normal life here, I figure a few more months will doble or triple a yield and give me a truely more mature bud to smoke.

I got:

1xPerfection by Spaceman Spliff
1xMeao Thai X Haze Breeder in Spain
1xMula (can't spell it X C99) breeder in Spain
1xColombian RxG X Haze Breeder in Spain
2xMulumbimby Madness (tokemon)X Bushman (tokemon)or Bangladesh (loader)
1xSk1 X New York Sour Disel
2xCali Orange X Jamaican Oldschool
4xCussin Cross X Jack Herrer x Jamican "alsakan" style
2xCalima x Afgani X Lezhaze F2 X Jack herrer x Jamiacan "alsakan" style
1x Frank Clone jej friend of mine, lets just call him Frank...sat clone from indoor i finished in bubble did very nice.

Babies I got
3x jamican "alaskan" pure
1x Colombian RxG X DeepChunk, or Willie Nelson
2x Delmonte F2 or F3
2x Alibi
1x Mother Finest
2x China X Thai p2
2x China X Dalat
1x Sk1
3x own crosses
2x Venezolana f2
2x born on flor have no clue...one sat, other indica dom.
and a few others i'm try'n so hard to remember...

Cool & calm
Chaman

Last edited:

Chaman

here are some from last harvest, just about early jan...it's what i've been smoke'n these days and let me tell you jeje i've been high as f@$k jejeje ;) and love'n life indeed.

Chaman
sorry the aboe is a Cusin cross X Jack..., in these you'll see the Calima Cross mentioned above with the Jack herrer x Jamican "alaskan" style. It gave me 2 phenos, one is Jack the other Jamican.

then there is a Colombian rxg X Bangladesh...jeje well each pic has it's name, can't remember them all till I see them I guess, stoners memory i guess eh ?