What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

No till 20 gallon

qball520

The authority speaks!! Thanks MM.

I don't know if I trust this guy though. With 4000 posts he could be full of crap.

KIS- my man sound like you know whats going on. Great to have another dirt nerd amongst us.

Qball- keep an open mind and steer clear of most people trying to sell you things and you be good. I have some great recommendations if your interested.

The first concept to grasp is how to build and maintain and healthy microbe population

Second thing which will help everything to fall into place is cation exchange and how that works. Understanding how nutrients are absorbed and held in the humus or clay for future use and how a plant can access it.

There is two worlds at play both chemical and biological. I have found understanding how the soil works helps me to help feed and nuture it. It is increadbly complex.

If all else fails just follow the path layed out by Microbeman, the rols crew, 3rdeye and others on this noble path. The know personally I want to shout from the hills, "there's a better way to grow your meds". We will all help where we can.

Yes bro I'm down to learn an try anything to get this no till done right!

Lapides

Rosin Junky and Certified Worm Wrangler
Veteran
Late late asshole checking in :tiphat:

Growing pot, for me, has always been about getting the best product, with the best yield, with the least amount of work and effort and money on my part.

That's what led me to no till. I hate fucking working. I have nice big beds with worms and rollie pollies and centipedes in them. When my plant is ready to be harvested, I chop it down, pull up the root ball, make a slightly larger hole, insert fresh ewc/worms, place new plant in the hole, add some amendments, and backfill. Done and done. Getting a new crop ready literally takes 1/6 the time it used to in the past.

No mixing, no soil testing, no teas. Just water straight through. I've been doing it this way for almost 3 years now, easiest thing ever. And I keep finding ways to make it easier, I just love it!

Good luck with yours!

Avinash.miles

Caregiver Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
Veteran
What's up bro? You do no till too?

moving in that direction, i've been recycling my "living" soil for nearly 3 years now since making the switch entirely to organics.

problem for ME with notill is my transient lifestyle - moving regularly (yearly) i dont "put down roots" well - yet. for me it's easier to grow in slightly smaller containers, so they are easier to move around. also i have simultaneous veg and bloom spaces an don't have enough soil beds (containers) currently to accommodate all my soil.

BUT
i think it's the way to go, like lap said - less work. for killer outcome.
imo worms are essential in notill - with all that undisturbed soil worms will establish and probably stay put forever if u keep them happy
i feel terrible dumping a load of soil and picking the worms out, hoping i can re-located them quickly and safely to ensure their survival and continued support of my crop(s).
same goes with kickass soil-life like rove beetles, hypoapsis miles, and all those microscopic critters too... probably loose alot of them when soil is dumped, tossed, "tilled", stored outside, etc.

KIS

MM and I had an offline conversation regarding what "no-till" implies and I figured it would be easier to start a new thread. I'll post my thoughts on this when I get some free time. Cheers!

qball520

Late late asshole checking in :tiphat:

Growing pot, for me, has always been about getting the best product, with the best yield, with the least amount of work and effort and money on my part.

That's what led me to no till. I hate fucking working. I have nice big beds with worms and rollie pollies and centipedes in them. When my plant is ready to be harvested, I chop it down, pull up the root ball, make a slightly larger hole, insert fresh ewc/worms, place new plant in the hole, add some amendments, and backfill. Done and done. Getting a new crop ready literally takes 1/6 the time it used to in the past.

No mixing, no soil testing, no teas. Just water straight through. I've been doing it this way for almost 3 years now, easiest thing ever. And I keep finding ways to make it easier, I just love it!

Good luck with yours!

Better late then never lol! But that's One of the reason why I'm loving the no till so far too lol!

qball520

moving in that direction, i've been recycling my "living" soil for nearly 3 years now since making the switch entirely to organics.

problem for ME with notill is my transient lifestyle - moving regularly (yearly) i dont "put down roots" well - yet. for me it's easier to grow in slightly smaller containers, so they are easier to move around. also i have simultaneous veg and bloom spaces an don't have enough soil beds (containers) currently to accommodate all my soil.

BUT
i think it's the way to go, like lap said - less work. for killer outcome.
imo worms are essential in notill - with all that undisturbed soil worms will establish and probably stay put forever if u keep them happy
i feel terrible dumping a load of soil and picking the worms out, hoping i can re-located them quickly and safely to ensure their survival and continued support of my crop(s).
same goes with kickass soil-life like rove beetles, hypoapsis miles, and all those microscopic critters too... probably loose alot of them when soil is dumped, tossed, "tilled", stored outside, etc.

He'll yeah bro! I moved like every year to! Sucks when your growing but finally just bought a house! I'm loving the less work and the frosty buds I'm getting!

qball520

Here's a lil update on my sunshine daydream! Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• 20160207_224204.jpg
    20160207_224204.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 12

3rdEye

Alchemical Botanist
Veteran
From what i can tell she looks good. Still stretching some is she? Can you get a true color picture? Nice work

qball520

Bodhi sunshine daydream in 20 gallon smart update! Sorry I've been off for awhile now!

Attachments

• 20160229_174106.jpg
    20160229_174106.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 10

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:slowly raises hand:

In my "big room", I've got 8 25 gallon fabric grow bags waiting on their second set of plants. And in my new tent, I have a brand new 4x4 bed that is setting up while my clones get a bit bigger in my veg space.

qball520

:slowly raises hand:

In my "big room", I've got 8 25 gallon fabric grow bags waiting on their second set of plants. And in my new tent, I have a brand new 4x4 bed that is setting up while my clones get a bit bigger in my veg space.

Lol! Sweet bro! I'm glad poeple are still using the no till method.