Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Growing in Greenhouses > Greenhouse shopping in Grass Valley - Forever Flowering vs Conleys vs Alternatives

Thread Title Search
Greenhouse shopping in Grass Valley - Forever Flowering vs Conleys vs Alternatives Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-23-2015, 04:34 PM #11
stoned-trout
if it smells like fish

stoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivorstoned-trout is a survivor
farmtek .com...do it yourself it aint hard...I bought 2 98 footers and 2 28 footers...a few years back..sold out to my friend...yeehaw..farmtek will give ya credit and allow payments over a year period...well they did for me...paid off in 10 months...as long as I didn't have concrete foundation I didn't need any permit,,,they were considered temporary structures..no permit,no fee,nada.. I had field leveled with friends bulldozer, I borrowed a bobcat with post hole digger , and used my jeep with plywood on roof to stand on..pull up arch with rope and secure with perlin ,move jeep 4 ft repeat...only when cover was put on did I want help....yeehaw
SML..iff mi spellin and centances suk and yoo don't lyke itt too fukkin bad;/?.....I once was asked what I would say upon getting to the gates of heaven??? m/r is a visitors badge an option??? I would like a few drinks at the bar... YEEHAW....vote for real legalization not sum bullshit...free the weed or kiss my ass...you wont be getting my tax money..
stoned-trout is offline Quote

4 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:45 PM #12
Hillside Growin

Hillside Growin is on a distinguished road
1200 mountain
Hillside Growin is offline Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 08:30 PM #13
Yes4Prop215

Yes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond repute
cannido thanks for the points and it confirmed my suspicions. no concrete pad = no permanent structure! if i was building a 100k Original Gardener series greenhouse on concrete pads i would pay the permit fees, but a 15k hoop house that will just be built on a gravel pad surely doesn't need it. everybody i know locally who went the hoop house route has not been hassled by code enforcement over permits.

i went down to county just to get a grading permit, and IMO its their fault for making the process so damn hard that no one pulls a permit. for christ sakes they want you to hire an environmental impact survey at 700 a fucking hour!!! screw that, id gladly pay some kind of flat rate grading survey by estimated yards of earth moved, but having to pay some environmentalist BS is just too much.

got the first of my gravel deliveries today…have to shore up some of the roads leading in and around the garden site. and the whole week will be spent excavating. busy busy busy…

hopefully Backyard Farming chimes in once he finds this thread i know he just finished a big GH project thru envirotech and had a large learning experience from that.
Yes4Prop215 is offline Quote

Old 02-23-2015, 08:35 PM #14
Yes4Prop215

Yes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond reputeYes4Prop215 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by furrywall11 View Post
Yep, it's a busy time with a lot of ppl wanting to get their girls outside in the ghouse by march 1st. FF is well known as a huge source of bling--they've been around the longest and I think they set their prices when folks were making more money. I decided to go with Gro-tek off cattle road. Very nice and helpful people. I bought 2 20x78ft 10ft high hoop houses, plastic, blackout, polycarbonate ends with frame and roll up sides for something like 12k..there's a lot more to it: two sets of helper arms 2.6k, moving all my old mounds, leveling the pad, digging 3 ft deep 30ft long trenches for 10" corrugated exhaust and intake and covering the whole thing with river stones all that for 11k...total tally 25.6k so far. I still need soil, pots, fans, heaters...11k more..36.6k...and the thing isn't even built yet. ....still need to install utilities... I actually got into it a little bit today with the work crew. I was not expecting it to cost this much. Bit of sticker shock. What do you all think the labor should be on just setting up the hoop houses? They were quoting $4 per square foot for setting up a full greenhouse but, obviously it wouldn't be the same for a 10' hoop house! Meeting on monday to sort the whole thing.

Here's a link to the model I selected: https://www.gro-techsystems.com/produ...es-cold-frame/
yea the guy at conleys basically told me "look at the sticker price of the GH and multiply by 3" when it came to sticker shock of the price tag. it seems they are letting people know the high total costs upfront since quite a few folks got in over their heads possibly.

the labor for setting up hoop houses should be much cheaper, hence why I'm skipping FF/conleys and going with the local cold frame guy because his labor is also much cheaper. a 3 man crew working 8 hours a day should easily have a 30x60 cold frame up in a few days. it took me and 2 other guys 4 days to build a 30x60 for a friend, and we only worked maybe 2-3 hours a day at full steam ahead and we weren't professional GH builders by any means just basic contracting skills.

also 11k to grade the pads, did you pay an excavating company to do that? helps to trim the cost down by doing it yourself or having a close friend do it….im fortunate that my good friends father is a professional excavater from the midwest, and with zero work out there right now he's happy to come out to sunny california and move dirt around for a few weeks for a cheap price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoned-trout View Post
farmtek .com...do it yourself it aint hard...I bought 2 98 footers and 2 28 footers...a few years back..sold out to my friend...yeehaw..farmtek will give ya credit and allow payments over a year period...well they did for me...paid off in 10 months...as long as I didn't have concrete foundation I didn't need any permit,,,they were considered temporary structures..no permit,no fee,nada.. I had field leveled with friends bulldozer, I borrowed a bobcat with post hole digger , and used my jeep with plywood on roof to stand on..pull up arch with rope and secure with perlin ,move jeep 4 ft repeat...only when cover was put on did I want help....yeehaw
haha thats awesome, gotta git er done somehow!!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:37 PM #15
CanniDo Cowboy

CanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really nice
[quote=Yes4Prop215;6817505]cannido thanks for the points and it confirmed my suspicions. no concrete pad = no permanent structure! if i was building a 100k Original Gardener series greenhouse on concrete pads i would pay the permit fees, but a 15k hoop house that will just be built on a gravel pad surely doesn't need it. everybody i know locally who went the hoop house route has not been hassled by code enforcement over permits.

i went down to county just to get a grading permit, and IMO its their fault for making the process so damn hard that no one pulls a permit. for christ sakes they want you to hire an environmental impact survey at 700 a fucking hour!!! screw that, id gladly pay some kind of flat rate grading survey by estimated yards of earth moved, but having to pay some environmentalist BS is just too much.

LOL...That rationale has been used since the county starting requiring permits- for anything! Most times, its not about the permit fees, its all the other hoops you have to jump thru- 7 copies of a site plan, 2 copies of this, 2 copies of that etc...Most likely, your not going to get a grading permit without first pulling a permit for the structure itself unless you indicate your just creating a parking area, pasture etc...

The grading permit is required if pad construction is going to impact surrounding natural drainage and protects adjacent properties from possible altered drainage flow tendencies. If your pad requires moving half a mountain, youre not going to get the pad in without all kinds of county depts getting involved - Environmental, Fish & Game etc. Most counties have a designated amount of soil proposed to be moved that triggers a necessary grading permit...

If the property is relatively flat, get the pad area graded, graveled etc before obtaining the permit. If busted, rule of thumb when dealing with the county boys - its easier to beg forgiveness than ask for permission...

Your site prep is another phase where the county gets all uppity in that with a normal bldg structure, yea a grading permit may come into play because your going to install a foundation where natural drainage from rain is going to now have to find its way around the foundation. If the drainage water hits the foundation and now runs over onto your neighbors property where it didnt previously, you have a real problem.

But a typical greenie, without the concrete foundation/slab doesnt experience altered drainage flow to any great extent unless you have somehow tilted the graveled pad and now the drainage is going somewhere it shouldnt...

The funny thing about a greenie, when it comes to county logic, is not the bldg itself, its the large pad size that is required if youre installing a biggie...But in most cases, it just involves creating a relatively flat area. The county doesnt or cant make that distinction because their requirements playbook is geared to typical framed structures with typical foundations. They just cant fathom any structure without an olympic-approved foundation...

LOL...the hoop house, in all its simplicity, is something your local county finds very difficult to comprehend...It upsets their delicate sense of permit obtaining reasoning...

Ya know years ago, permit wise, the portable Costco-type carport gave the county fits. The debate is still being debated. lol Same theory as the greenies - Permanent? Portable? Should it require a permanent foundation etc...cc

~Giddyup gro~
CanniDo Cowboy is offline Quote

Old 02-28-2015, 08:03 AM #16
kazak

kazak is on a distinguished road
I'll second the farmtek/ custom cold frame route; I've put up a few dep high tunnels/ cold frames; it's cost efficient, not that difficult, and they're still up and running...
kazak is offline Quote

Old 02-28-2015, 09:57 AM #17
redlaser

redlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivorredlaser is a survivor
I'm running into some of the same issues Prop is mentioning with the assorted permits. Trying not to just burn money hiring someone not needed, like environmental study guys etc. I'm just trying to put up a pole barn without a foundation but am unsure on size because I'm not sure if its location will be a limiting factor. It's not close to anyone else but it's on a hillside. Doesn't seem to be a way around getting a study first, then submit plans for permits
redlaser is online now Quote

Old 02-28-2015, 11:27 AM #18
Lightweight

Lightweight is a jewel in the roughLightweight is a jewel in the roughLightweight is a jewel in the roughLightweight is a jewel in the roughLightweight is a jewel in the roughLightweight is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanniDo Cowboy View Post
3) Keep in mind greenhouse yield is a fraction of outdoor yield, even with multiple harvests. And there is considerable more labor involved tending a large greenie. Auto -dep or not. That said, greenhouse-produced flower pricing is still relatively new and thus, nowhere near where it needs to be in order to justify the major investment the greenhouse businesses are wanting for their structures.
Sorry for the off-topic question (but not sorry enough not to ask anyway, ha ha); Cannido, this is the first I've heard that greenhouse yields are a fraction of straight-up outdoor yields. Is this always the case? I'm in the process of building a 20x40 greenhouse and I was not aware of this. If this is true I may change my mind on greenhouse growing. Thanks for any insight.
Lightweight is offline Quote

Old 03-03-2015, 08:34 AM #19
Yes4Prop215

well i took the plunge and if all goes according to plan i will have 5200sq ft of light dep up in a month. my beautiful terraced garden has been reduced to a muddy mountain side and we have the first pad in, still gotta cut two more.

heres a quick price breakdown of the closest comparison.

Custom Cold Frame with manual light dep curtain - (24ft x 80ft) 13500
with auto light dep curtain (2000) 15500
install (4200) 19700 total

Comparable Envirotech greenhouse, Cold frame 24x84 with "gardeners package" (just fans, etc, no light dep) 12371
with light dep (unknown price but probably more than 2k)
install 5000, so almost 20k but with zero light dep system.

not like theres any price savings, the custom will probably end up costing a little more than environtech. but everything is consolidated into one company, and the company is only 45 minutes away from my garden site.

theres gonna be a few extra charges not included that would be for any GH install, gravel alone will cost about 700 per cold frame, theres also a sidewall kit I'm gonna install that will raise it 2 ft and thats around 2k per. also fans, heaters, exhaust, wiring up everything, new irrigation system, I'm gonna be spending alot of money in the next few months. thats why its important to save your grow profits instead of wasting them on bullshit….priorities priorities.

Old 03-03-2015, 03:39 PM #20
CanniDo Cowboy

CanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really niceCanniDo Cowboy is just really nice
Dude, hopefully youve done the pad/grading homework and your project doesnt end up on a "slippery slope". Butte can be awful finicky when it comes to moving soil, espec this time of year and right now, greenhouse pads are being closely monitored because of the outdoor med mj crackdown...

Take a minute (actually up to half hour!)) and review the Butte County dig rules n regs.

Pretty involved stuff -

Go to www.buttecounty.net and enter or cut/paste Draft Grading Ordinance Update and Environmental Review in their search box & click on the same link when it appears (listed at top of the page)...Have the aspirin bottle ready for headache possibilities...

~Giddyup gro~

Last edited by CanniDo Cowboy; 03-03-2015 at 04:16 PM..
CanniDo Cowboy is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.