What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY 5 gallon bucket "vortex" brewer

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can acheive the same results using a single airlift and it is much easier to clean. This is through the sidewall, if you don't want to have to build a stand due to going out the bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR7ZTrZQuFg

The results are virtually the same, whether you create a vortex or not. It is really the airlift which is the champion. (and diffusion chamber in our case) Of course a cone bottom tank ensures a really thorough mix with no settling.

Do you have any data on the Progress Earth inputs as far as microbial population created?

Weird Jimmy

Licensed Patient/Caregiver & All-Around Cool Ass B
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can acheive the same results using a single airlift and it is much easier to clean. This is through the sidewall, if you don't want to have to build a stand due to going out the bottom.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR7ZTrZQuFg

The results are virtually the same, whether you create a vortex or not. It is really the airlift which is the champion. (and diffusion chamber in our case) Of course a cone bottom tank ensures a really thorough mix with no settling.

Do you have any data on the Progress Earth inputs as far as microbial population created?

I've made air-lift brewers with the same materials. You just move the uniseal from the bottom to the side.

I don't have any data on the progress earth stuff, but I can definitely ask them the next time they call. I'm curious to know that as well... What type of microscope do you use for looking at your tea? I'd really like to have one for my store.

picture.php

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ebay has those microscopes... there not expensive. Im sticking with the vortex plan..Making a stand for it is no big deal..

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've made air-lift brewers with the same materials. You just move the uniseal from the bottom to the side.

I don't have any data on the progress earth stuff, but I can definitely ask them the next time they call. I'm curious to know that as well... What type of microscope do you use for looking at your tea? I'd really like to have one for my store.

View Image

You better look at my webpage for that;

just google Microbe Organics

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ebay has those microscopes... there not expensive. Im sticking with the vortex plan..Making a stand for it is no big deal..

Well yes and no. You often get what you pay for. The set up I use cost $15,000 including scope (10K - half price), camera & computer.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Well yes and no. You often get what you pay for. The set up I use cost $15,000 including scope (10K - half price), camera & computer.

damn man!!... what if I were looking for an entry level type of set-up? What's the ball park on something decent? $1000?

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We looked at this stuff in High school(35 years ago). The scope we had was not expensive at all. If you have the right objective your fine..I could see everything clearly.. If I was looking to buy one I would get a Compound Light Microscope thats all I would ever need.

Im sure You probably have a use for a 15k scope the rest of us dont usually require such equipment. Just like with all things you can spend 100 or a million...

A scope like one of these would work just fine right??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Binocular-S...58?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item51862232d6

http://www.ebay.com/itm/40x-1000x-B...524?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20cfeca75c

Last edited:

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
We looked at this stuff in High school(35 years ago). The scope we had was not expensive at all. If you have the right objective your fine..I could see everything clearly.. If I was looking to buy one I would get a Compound Light Microscope they can go to 1000x max thats all I would ever need.

Im sure You probably have a use for a 15k scope the rest of us dont usually require such equipment.

He asked

What type of microscope do you use for looking at your tea?

I presume in response to the video.

You only need 400X or even less to see bacteria. Most of the scopes on ebay are plastic junk and I've sold a few scopes to disheartened ebay buyers. It is the transmission of light which is most important.

damn man!!... what if I were looking for an entry level type of set-up? What's the ball park on something decent? $1000?

As I said, look up my webpage. I've already been banned once for discussing this.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Good thread, and a well prepared project.....But,
I'm not understanding what the deal is with the 'vortex'.

Would 4 of these (without the foam block), do the same thing? Used some like this years ago. They are an air lift, and weighted to sit on the bottom of the bucket. You could add a 90* elbow at the top if you need the swirling action,,, and without ruining a good bucket?

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

We used 6 of this type filter to clean and oxygenate a 3'x3'x8' tank with 2-3K feeder goldfish in it.

If the 'vortex' is important I need to be educated. Thx in advance, for the 101.

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Good thread, and a well prepared project.....But,
I'm not understanding what the deal is with the 'vortex'.

Would 4 of these (without the foam block), do the same thing? Used some like this years ago. They are an air lift, and weighted to sit on the bottom of the bucket. You could add a 90* elbow at the top if you need the swirling action,,, and without ruining a good bucket?

http://www.angelsplus.com/FiltersSponge.htm

We used 6 of this type filter to clean and oxygenate a 3'x3'x8' tank with 2-3K feeder goldfish in it.

If the 'vortex' is important I need to be educated. Thx in advance, for the 101.

I look at it as taking an ordinary bucket and turning it into something extraordinary. .. I guess the importance of the vortex is debatable. I've seen video demonstrations of a vortex brewer versus a passive bubble bucket that tested dissolved oxygen, and the vortex was slightly higher in total DO2, and it stayed in the water considerably longer.

Those filters would definitely work, but if that's the design you want, you could just stick pvc pipes on the inside of you bucket... like this...

picture.php

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hay the uni seals just get pushed on right? there is no clamp that hols them .... I got them today I will drill the holes and start the construction..
ALSO
im assuming the 1/4" OD is correct.. is it the rianbird stuff that is more ridgid for drip irigation...The 1/4 silicon tubing is much more flexable..

Last edited:

Weird Jimmy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hay the uni seals just get pushed on right? there is no clamp that hols them .... I got them today I will drill the holes and start the construction..
ALSO
im assuming the 1/4" OD is correct.. is it the rianbird stuff that is more ridgid for drip irigation...The 1/4 silicon tubing is much more flexable..

yep, just drill the hole and push them in, and when you push the fitting into the uniseal, the taper will expand and completely seal the hole.

I used the flexible tubing, and 1/4" OD is correct, just make sure it's the black tube or they'll leak.

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ok im off to HD to get the black tubing if they have it. I know I can order online but would like to find it local. The bucket is almost complete. waiting for the 5 way thats it..

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
HD did not have the right tubbing. where did you get yours??..I will just get it from petco. is this the right stuf

71eB9Eh3HuL._SL1500_.jpg

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I have built some airlift vortex brewers, and I like the 5 gal water jug from water company's. It has a curved bottom that helps with the vortex. Also, I am with MM and think that only one riser is needed, and is a lot better in the long run with maintenance and cleaning. Enjoy your brewer, it should treat you great.

picture.php

Last edited:

Hammerhead

Disabled Farmer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's already built Im sure it will work just fine.. Still waiting for info on the tubing.. Is the petco stuff OK or do I need to get something else. Im doing mine like his no glue so its easy to disassemble and clean.. I have seen probably 5 diferant designs.. Is there that much of a diferance in the quality of tea??? From one design to the next??.I had a Titan that worked great. It was so simple in design I think any would work as good or better then it did..I think we are getting a bit picky. If it works what ever design you use thats all that matters ..

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Sorry Hammer, I wasn't trying to say you should change your design. I was just showing what I have done in the past and why I think it might be better. The teas are all the same imho, just the designs change.

The best thing about a good brewer design is you can keep making them bigger with great success. Here is a pic of my 15 gal vortex brewer, better than any company's out there imho. When the water is clear before adding any material you can see the vortex go all the way into the pvc pipe at the bottom.
picture.php

picture.php

Not sure what tubing you guys are looking for, but I like the braided tubing from home depot. IT is in the large rolls that you have to cut lengths and get a ticket to pay for it. In the washer machine hosing section I believe. They have every size you need, at least the Home Depot by me does. Thanks for letting me in this thread you guys, once again, good luck.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts