What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

germinating seed position misconception solved (with pics)

Bush Doctah

Hi, I'm a newb with a question about scarifying/scuffing older seeds. I hope this is OK to post here, since it is such a great thread and I don't want to go off topic. I hope this adds to it, but please move it if that's best.
Re: scarifying/scuffing. I have seeds that are at least 5 years old that have been mostly stored in the fridge, but have been exposed to heat for a few days once 4 years ago. Here are my questions:
If you use sandpaper, which grit level is best?
Do you scuff the entire seed, or just along the edges?
How rough or gentle should one be? Should I sand it down like with wood, or more gently polish it? Or should I just roll it gently around like I'm massaging it?
Thanks for any help, very much appreciated!
BD

doams

if you think about it seeds that fell down will be placed on one side down in nature /left or right side down/ and thats the way to do it and I do :D

Hookahhead

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, it was a good read. Kinda funny how funny how misinformation can persist almost 50 years later

Latest posts

Latest posts