What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Curiosity, what would you choose?

DesertFarmers

I have arrived at two breeders for 2018. I have 2 years worth of limited experience with both breeders gear.
*2016 I grew 12 total plants, 4 of which were bhodi seeds and 4 of which were sub cool / tga seeds.
*2017 I grew 12 plants, 6 of which were bhodi seeds and 6 of which were sub cool / tga seeds.

That's all the experience I have with these two breeders specifically, but I have decided the plants these guys create are the types of plants I want.

**2018, I will be growing 6 plants total. I have some brain hang up about trying to run one breeders gear this time, and honestly... I cannot choose between these two specific breeders.

From Sub Cool I have run: locomotion (my fav), cheese quake, jilly bean, qleaner, sonic screwdriver and 9 pound hammer.

From Bhodi I have run: Blue tara (my fav), love dawg, temple mountain, wish mountain, silver mountain.

Those are the types of plants I want to grow, all of them... But yeah, what would you run gear wise from either of these two breeders and why? I am limited to 6 plants this year, I need plants capable of massive size and superb quality.

Plants will be outdoor, 1000 gal soil equivalence per plant, double caged / and covered with horti-net as well. Our biggest in 2017 was 14.4 lbs cleaned and cured.

Any new gear to look for, any advice at all? I need a yard full of big pretty ladies, and I am hoping one of you in the know will help guide my journey.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I would personally go w Bodhi.
His love for the plant really shows in what I've seen so far. I can't make any specific recommendations as I've only grown a couple varieties.

Though... Sub does have some wonderfully tasting & smelling varieties. If you can get 3D or Pandora's Box you'd be in for a treat.

Why not split the garden again?
3 each would add variety for you.

DesertFarmers

I know right, the logical choice... -__-

It's some short circuit my brain has, I want to run an exclusive garden. Just once even. Ya know?

That's it in a nut shell.

I love Bodhi seeds, I love Sub seeds... I love sub seeds, I love bodhi seeds. I am in a funk.

bigbadbiddy

Let me save you some time and heartache then:
More people here will recommend you go with Bodhi than Subcool.

Few years ago it would've been the other way around though.
Subcool's star has faded while Bodhi's still shines bright at the moment.

I have personally come to the realization that nothing trumps your own experience and no matter how well you research something, it will depend on how it performs for you personally in the end.

After 2 grows so far, it looks like all the strains I thought would be the best and most interesting have let me down somewhat and strains I expected nothing from and just popped because I had some space have made me a believer.

Just go with either, flip a coin if you must or split the garden 3 and 3. Don't overthink it beforehand.
Do what many don't and think very carefully AFTER the harvest and while you cure etc.

If you were wise enough and had enough foresight to have backup clones of the plants you are now sampling after the cure, this is the time to reflect on what you are experiencing, the flavors, the odors, the effects.
And remember the plant you are sampling and how it grew. Were there spectacular or particular things that stood out? Maybe it was way ahead in terms of root mass when you transplanted compared to other plants? Maybe the roots smelled really strong of ganja which you found peculiar?
This is the time to reflect.

Before you plant a seed, you shouldn't overthink it any further than any other purchasing decision: Make sure you don't spend your money on crap but find reputable stuff that will perform.

But you did that it seems, Bodhi and Subcool are reputable and solid choices (although, like I said, Subcool has been criticized and heavily in recent times, but nobody ever said his gear was terrible).

So now don't fret, don't overthink, plant the 6, whatever they may be and do the pondering and thinking after harvesting and during sampling.

Then next year you can have a mother and when you fill your garden you just plant 5 new ones and a clone of your favorite from last year. Now you don't have to fret over anything.
The 5 new seeds become an adventure to find something new and exciting and exceptional but no matter if they can't handle the climate or can't stand up to local pests or simply produce hay, you will know for sure that you have the 1 keeper from last year to fall back on so it wouldn't be a total loss and you can just take it easier, ya know?

And regarding the whole unicrop (1 strain) thing:
This is not a wrong idea at all. Having all 6 plants from the same strain affords you a much better opportunity to compare plants with each other and crown a winner/keeper.

Chill man :)

DesertFarmers

That's some solid logic. Thank you.

I try hard to distance myself from the online chatter usually, and honestly wasn't aware that people had hard feelings towards sub cool or tga seeds.

I have only run the strains listed from his gear, and they were all amazing in there own ways... Actually, what forced my arrival at this point; in 2015 I ordered beans from a bunch of different breeders. It was all mixed up too, short ones, tall ones, fast ones, late ones... It was a mess, and out of the 12 allowed to finish flowering there were 2 that stood out. Nothing was consistent, quality wise, time wise. I got really frustrated that year with gardening in general.

Anyways, a friend of mine had a Jilly Bean from Sub Cool... It stood out! It was a tree, his whole garden looked more like an orange grove than a ganja farm. My introduction to Sub Cool seeds.

Another dear friend of mine, grew out 3 of Bodhi seeds Prayer Tower. There was a funky pheno split, 2 were heavy sativa leaning and one was this goofy indica style plant on a giant sativa frame...

Regardless, all 3 stood out. They were amazingly ginormous. My introduction to Bodhi seeds.

Of my own experience between these two specific breeders, I have noticed solid germ rates. Like nothing to complain about

I have noticed pheno consistencies in both breeders gear, with Bodhi having a broader range of phenos available per strain. Nothing to complain about, it's wicked hard to kill off Bodhi plants that don't make the cut. They are all really awesome, some are just a little more willing to adhere to my growing style. I was a little sad that I allowed 9 pound hammer from Sub Cool to finish... It got huge!! But it wasn't that pretty, and it didn't smoke that good (My Opinion). My buddy loved it, just wasn't a great fit for me. Other side of that coin, I have had 2 different males from Sub that could have probably been processed for smoking. Triches and all, they were sooo sticky.

Anyways, My bong has gotten the better of me and I am mumbling...

I shall retire for tonight. Thank you all for entertaining my neurotic nature. Night

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That's easy. Bodhi.

His plants are more suited for outdoors. Schrews Motherlode Gardens thread is insane. Lots of Bodhi genetics. Fucking monsters.

If I could only grow 6 plants I would emulate Schrews.

Personally I would plant 6 of each strain.

GUY-FAWKES

only ran subs AO and tried dairy queen from a mate , they were nice was nice but not all that, however i have cuts bodhis pinsoul and silver mountain have become long term keepers.. that guy breeds fire!

Latest posts

Latest posts