What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carnivorous plants (sundews and venus flytraps)

Venus fly traps need to go dominan in winter time...plant in pure sphagnum peat moss never feed fertilizer only pure distiller water keep the medium soaking wet with Full sun and you will have beautiful fly traps...easy

Chewbacca420

very interesting thread, I've often wondered if carnivorous plants would be a good alternative to other means of pest control (in theory).

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
I'm getting supplies gathered to grow both Venus Fly Traps & Sundews - I've ordered the seeds (several different fly traps) and some African Sundews, I have all the peat and sphagnum & my tent is gonna get a jump start with legal plants for now.

I have a green thumb, our apartments & this house (before the kids came along) were FULL of assorted plants. I've always been fascinated with carnivorous plants.

I know this thread is old, but rather than start anew, I'm adding & bumping it.

Anyone still growing these?

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yeah, those sundews will take care of any gnats, I have a mate who used them in his mushroom farm.

Just have them always standing in water, up halfway or more up the pot is fine and never give nutes of any kind..Your bugs are their nutes. When your flytraps die, they are not dead as someone mentioned, just dormant..Dont let them dry out and they will wake up again. You can/may have to spray them with your plants too as aphids and mites can also attack them. Yeah I have some wild sundews near me and a few on the porch..Some nepenthes as well, those would be epic to have but not in your grow, just around.

Do a google search for "Pan's Carnivores"..That guy has plants that would blow your mind. And cheap cheap in dollar rate..

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Yeah, those sundews will take care of any gnats, I have a mate who used them in his mushroom farm.

Just have them always standing in water, up halfway or more up the pot is fine and never give nutes of any kind..Your bugs are their nutes. When your flytraps die, they are not dead as someone mentioned, just dormant..Dont let them dry out and they will wake up again. You can/may have to spray them with your plants too as aphids and mites can also attack them. Yeah I have some wild sundews near me and a few on the porch..Some nepenthes as well, those would be epic to have but not in your grow, just around.

Do a google search for "Pan's Carnivores"..That guy has plants that would blow your mind. And cheap cheap in dollar rate..
Thanks very much for the quick reply and info - I'll check that site out right away.

Betterhaff

Veteran
Venus Flytraps take a long time to mature from seed, be patient. In the meantime you may want to try and get plants, there are a variety of sites on the net that sell them. I’ve grown a lot of carnivorous plants over the years, don’t have any at the moment.

One of the most amazing things I’ve seen was a sphagnum bog in Canada that was just covered with Sundews, and big ones. It was like I was on a different planet.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Venus Flytraps take a long time to mature from seed, be patient. In the meantime you may want to try and get plants, there are a variety of sites on the net that sell them. I’ve grown a lot of carnivorous plants over the years, don’t have any at the moment.

One of the most amazing things I’ve seen was a sphagnum bog in Canada that was just covered with Sundews, and big ones. It was like I was on a different planet.
Hi & thanks for joining in.

I know about the "from seed" part - I didn't, but I found out. A couple years to maturity anyway.

I'm going to get both seeds & plants, but I'm mostly just looking forward to having some growing green in my house again.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
420giveaway
Most of these require fairly large insects, mites gnats thrips etc don't get taken out. Green fly will devastate them in days. They are fine for house fly's or adventurous spiders but don't pin your hopes of controlling a grow with these plants.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Most of these require fairly large insects, mites gnats thrips etc don't get taken out. Green fly will devastate them in days. They are fine for house fly's or adventurous spiders but don't pin your hopes of controlling a grow with these plants.
Sadly, these will be the only things I'll be growing (for now). I must wait until "legal" hits here in Cannaba, I mean Canada. Spring 2017 is the timeline for legislation.

I'm hoping to maybe sell some at flea markets, etc., bur mostly I just wanna grow some cool shit!

Thanks for adding to this, GMT.

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
D_binataB91306_0256.jpg

Drosera%20allciae%20065_%2825-03-2005%29.jpg

D-binata-NZ-Alpine-1.jpg

drosebina3005.jpg

Some random photo's I grabbed out the web, I have a few different ones like in the pics above..the sundews main diet is little gnats and come to think of it I've never noticed thrip damage on them even though they are everywhere where I stay, mites they dont eat.. although I'm not sure but they may release pheromones to attract the flyers too..The D. binata is a beast and that is the one to get for pest control, the more it eats the more it grows..until it is out of control..careful repotting D. Binata, each tiny little piece of root will grow into a new plant and it'll turn up everywhere..

They make beautiful flowers but if they are wild in your area and you don't want cross-pollination or you want to make the leaves mass grow much quicker, pinch them off.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Mother Nature, she can be a horror story depending on where you sit in the food chain.

Plants that eat animals/bugs - nice reversal.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch

His plants ARE really nice & the exchange rate makes them very affordable - he replied to my query in less than 12 hours.

Sadly, he said he's unable to ship plants to Cannaba, I mean Canada. I asked about just seeds on my reply, here's hoping.

Thanks again for the info :tiphat:

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I've been to his nursery once and it still sticks in my mind..Just mind-blowing, the pitcher plants he has are the craziest I reckon..some are have huge jug size purple pitchers that eat baby monkeys and rats in the wild..Some look like a toilet bowls, I have one myself that makes these pitchers that look like penises before they open up..He has thousands of carnivore plants at his place.

I read somewhere long ago, I'll try fin the reference, of borneo pitchers that were observed to climb down a tree, walk on pitchers and climb up and re-attach to another tree, if the conditions were not favorable for them. Yeah plants ey..

Another thing if your looking for bug remedies is more bugs! An example...
View Image
and
View Image

A praying mantis can destroy bugs (and humming birds apparently), but I don't know if they would attack anthing that gets into an indoor grow. There are tons of natural preditors that farmers use to get rid of unwanted insects. Lady bugs eat tons of afids a day is another example. But I guess I did start this thread about killer plants so I'm already off topic.

I have a thread on predator bugs and wouldn't mind you shedding some light :D - if you haven't already lol

Latest posts

Latest posts