What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Groffice

Drop That Sound

Looking awesome, love the custom fiberglass res, and the whole multi tier plan. Did you think about adding a waxed gelcoat finish? Probably not really needed, and suppose you won't be looking inside there all the time anyway.

If you coated the inside and exterior of the res with gel, it would look like a live-well on a fancy yacht ;)

Either way, I love seeing custom integrated builds like this, nice work man!

theJointedOne

Veteran
tenor.gif

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Been slacking off on the build, had a harvest and had to dry my weed some where.

To make sure it didn't get covered in sawdust, or other crap from the workshop. I took the time off, and that is nice too.

Now im back at it, can't take time off all the time ... yet.

Another two cupboard doors, and next step will be mounting bottoms in each cabinet. Add the drains, and yay back to the polyester resin work.
That stuff smells sooo bad for a weeks!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Done with the cupboard doors

Took a while to get each door mounted correct, so it would close with a tight fit and be level. With the twin door, and lining up with the other closet's two doors.

Got it to where I think it's acceptable, and it won't look crooked.

Nice to get done with this step

Palindrome

King of Schwag
On to the next step of the build

Cut a bunch more wood sheets, from 10 mm OSB-3 "plywood"

End sheets for the sides, and bottom sheets to devide the cabinets.

To save money and not end up with too much waste wood, the bottoms will be made up by two sheets.
It will be a little extra work, but I have plenty of fiberglass mat left.
So I will just give the bottoms a bit of fiber glass, to make sure it will hold a ton of bud.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Have been out shopping ventilation and drain parts, filled a few goodie bags with T connectors and "flow adjusters".
No idea what they are called in englsih, but they are use to adjust the flow in central ventilation etc etc.

Lot's of work ahead, many steps to take in mind.
Taking my time, trying to get everything right!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Mmmmm got a new Cup drill, for 125 mm ventilation duct.

Still need to find a 160 mm cup drill as well, will most likely have to look for that next time im in Germany.
I haven't been able to find one localy, that will fit my cup drill holder.

Drilled the sheet from both sides, to get the edges cut clean and smooth.
Drilled holes for the drain pipes as well, but forgot two fittings. So I have to get back to the store, and pick up the missing parts and a new angle grinder.
Can't remember what I tried to cut with the old one, it was some cheap china crap the misses brought and it crapped out.
I had'nt planned for a 300$ cordless Bosch, for the build but on the other hand.
But I see no point in buying crap tools, so I will have to find the money and something else must wait.

I got to the point where I should cut duckt sections, and I remembered "Your fucked mate, unless you wanna hack saw it"

I guess I am lucky, considered there is a bridge to the mainland!
So it's only a 15 min drive, when I forget something.
Unless it's IKEA, that can easy take a week. Just to get in the mind set I need, to go in there and a 40 min drive. :biggrin:

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Guess I was in luck, there is a new model coming of the angle grinder.

Old model was on sale, saved about 100$ on the angle grinder. :woohoo:

I know they say money can't buy happines,
but it can buy powertools and thats pretty close!

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Hmmm I was sure I was covered with 125 mm duckt, with the two 125 mm duckts I had in the attic and a 160 mm as well.
Turns out I had one 125 mm and two 160 mm duckts, so got to go buy more of that.

Moved on to the drains.

I had to get creative, as I wasn't able to find bulkheads. That would fit my drain pipes, and the drain pipes that would fit bulkheads.
Well let's just say I don't wanna pay the price, and wait for it to get here.

Not a problem!

Drilled the walls in the cabinets, with a cup drill slightly bigger then the collar of a 45 degree 50 mm drain fitting.
Then I cut four plywood squares, and drilled them with a cup drill.
With the same diameter as the drain pipe, mounted that on the outside of the cabinet end wall.

After the glue had dried, it looks like this.

Once everything is put together, I will fill out the gab around the fitting with silicone.
And in the end, it will be coated with a thin layer of polyester resen, maybe some fiberglass as well.

The finished drain will look like this, but clearly I will need to get the ventilation done first.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
A trip to the airduckt shop, and back home again playing with my new powertool.

Exhaust duckts are done, not a 100% straight, but I might have made the seperation space, quater of an inch too tight.

And the drains ....

Also gonna have kinda controll over this, just gonna keep it simple.
Still waiting for some of the timers, will go over the wiring later on.

Time to clean everything up, vacuum the room and get ready to paint and waterproof the inside of the cabinets.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Today was cloning and cleaning day mainly, and smoking joints day.

Started the day taking cuttings, then moved on and vacuum cleaned the whole room and closet, cleaned up everything.
Got all the tools out of the way, so now they are just a big mess in the workshop instead.

Started seaming everything, and it will have to cure for 24 hours.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thank you TychoMonolyth

Past few days I have been playing with fiberglass and polyester resin, water proofing and making the bottoms stronger.

First I filled the gab between the two sheets, making up the bottoms in the upper cabinets.
Used a cheap two component fiberglass putty, but made for seaming cracks in boats.
After 30 min it's hard enough to sand, then left it over night ready for the next application.

Next morning I cut glass mats, about half the length of the bottom.
It will only need reinforcement at the seams, and the mat soak up a bunch of extra polyester resin.

First layer down

Now I wait for it to cure, depening on temp this will take a little while.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Once the first layer had dried up, I applied the next layer without sanding.
As the polyester layer is very thin, I will apply another layer before starting to sand it.
Removing "wild" strands of glass hairs, so I can make it waterproof.

First layer cured

Second layer wet, sanding tomorrow!

And finaly I also gave all the seams in the reservoir a extra coat, as well as the small "star" I made dropping a strud into the reservoir.
As well as splash proofing around the daily access hatch, and coated the edge of the drain holes.

starke

I love a well thought out project - unlike my "lets do it right the third time approach". Great job.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
Thanks guys :huggg:

Been trying to work on the build as much as possible, but there are many things and each step takes a bit of time.

Put down the 3rd layer of polyester resin, and patched up all the old screw holes in the garage wall.
Just using the fiberglass putty, that I used to seam the bottoms.
Once the tin have been opend, it's best to use it with in 3 months.

There is alot of sanding involved - Im using a 125 mm Bosch disk sander, hooked up to a vacuum cleaner. Wearing gloves and filter mask, to avoid breathing in glass/polyester dust and toxic fumes.

Got done sanding everything, the patches on the walls and screw holes in the frame. Sanded the bottoms, and vacuum cleaned everything. Ready to put down the 4th layers, hope I will have time for this tomorrow.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
5th layer of polyester resin have cured, now it's time to prep for paint!

Sanding everything down with a fine grain, then vacuum clean and on to the paint job.
This will be interresting, first time ever working with a high pressure paint gun, tho I read I should not go above 2 bar for waterbased paints.

Gonna thin up the paint with 15% water, to make it thinnner and let it flow thru the paintgun more evenly.
Haven't recived the pressure regulator with moisture filter, but I guess it won't matter much for waterbased paint anyway.

Palindrome

King of Schwag
1st layer of white paint have gone up, guess the quality of the paint have something to say when sparying it.

Started with adding 15% water as I was told to, to make it thiner and it should flow better. Mixed it for 10 min, figured that was good.

It wasn't

Added another 10% water maybe, mixed for another 10 min and now it should be good.

It was ... for a few minutes, then the sprayer lost it's power and only a little paint was flowing from it.

Checked the filter and it was full of gunky paint, back into the bucket and mixed for another 10 min. Only to get the same result, and in the end I gave up on mixing the paint more.
The "fix" ended up being that I just washed the filter insert, every 5 min in a bucket of water and I was able to keep the flow fairly even.

Took some time, now im looking forward to see how it looks when dry. I got for another layer in the bucket, that I will spray on tomorrow.

Note*
I got the cheapest paint I could find, maybe that was not the best choice.

Latest posts

Latest posts