What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Is gypsum an effective top dressing for supplementing calcium in a coco DTW system?

beta

Veteran
I'm trying to supplement calcium for a couple particularly hungry cultivars. Will top dressing them with agriculutural Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate Dihydrate) work? I'm worried the calcium won't be soluble enough and will rinse out before it's available.

Thanks!

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
This so called ion-exchange of K and Na against calcium is a very common effect and results in well bound calcium ions. Furthermore, the fact that gypsum is poorly soluble (slow release) gives it enough time to perform this task and not just run straight through the coir. Though, IDK if the solubility is fast enough to meet plant requirements. This will likely depend on the gypsum quality and environment: fineness/coarseness, crystal modification (purity of gypsum, method of preparation etc.), humidity, presence of other ions (fertiliser composition)...
Just try it out ;) .

beta

Veteran
This so called ion-exchange of K and Na against calcium is a very common effect and results in well bound calcium ions. Furthermore, the fact that gypsum is poorly soluble (slow release) gives it enough time to perform this task and not just run straight through the coir. Though, IDK if the solubility is fast enough to meet plant requirements. This will likely depend on the gypsum quality and environment: fineness/coarseness, crystal modification (purity of gypsum, method of preparation etc.), humidity, presence of other ions (fertiliser composition)...
Just try it out ;) .

I was hoping I'd hear from you, thanks for the feedback!

It's my understanding that the dihydrate form of calcium sulfate is more or less water soluble. Is that your understanding as well? When I add it to water it seems to dissolve fully.

This is the exact one I'm using, fwiw. It claims to be '100% water soluble'.

Just try it out ;) .
Isn't gypsum the first or second most soluble calcium salt? Isn't it like CaCl2> Lime = Gypsum > CaNO3 > CaPO4

Only Ornamental

Veteran
My pleasure!

Pure calcium sulfate dihydrate is indeed fully water soluble, just not very good and not very fast.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
With soluble aminos added the calcium availability from gypsum can can be increased considerably as well, "Thousands of times faster" is how Harley Smith worded it.

Last edited:

beta

Veteran
With soluble aminos added the calcium availability from gypsum can can be increased considerably as well, "Thousands to millions of times faster" is how Harey Smith worded it.

That is interesting - Can you link me to where you learned this?

beta

Veteran

Awesome, thank you! Here's the relevant bit:

After years of research and experimentation in plant physiology, microbiology and nutrition, the pieces finally came together. Amino acids were the key. My well water is loaded with calcium and magnesium carbonate, and lime scale used to turn my reservoirs into rock gardens.

But when I started experimenting with an amino acid blend I received from a vitamin manufacturer, there was no more lime scale. So where did all of that extra calcium go? Into the plants. I learned that certain amino acids stimulate root cells to open up calcium ion channels, allowing the plants to take up calcium thousands of times faster than simple osmosis.

Wow! That is some very interesting info if true. Does anyone know if this is accepted scientific consensus? I don't know how evidence-based Harley Smith's system is, though I do admit he sounds like he knows what he's talking about to a lay person like me.

beta

Veteran
I found some research to support what he's saying:

Calcium Chelated with Amino Acids Improves Quality and Postharvest Life of Lisianthus (Eustoma grandiflorum cv. Cinderella Lime)
http://hortsci.ashspublications.org/content/50/9/1394.full

The results of this study confirmed the effectiveness of calcium amino acid chelates in increasing calcium absorption and shoot fresh and dry mass of lisianthus (‘Cinderella Lime’). These effects were more favorable than those exerted by CaCl2. Since calcium amino acid chelates could preserve lisianthus cut flowers, they can be used as an appropriate source of calcium compared with CaCl2 to improve the vase life of lisianthus cut flowers. Simultaneous effects of calcium and amino acids were found to be responsible for the mentioned benefits of calcium amino acid chelates. According to the obtained results, calcium-lysine is recommended as a preferable source of calcium instead of CaCl2.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
AA chelated calcium, most commonly in the form of calcium bisglycinate, has often no charge or even a negative one. As such, there is no interaction with soil/coir particles and it drains away quickly. Super as a permanent drip-irrigation or a quick boost, not so much as a depot.
Such chelates can be produced easily at home when mixing aminos with calcium oxide or hydroxide ;) .

clearheaded

best would be to mix into medium. top dressing you likely will end up with a plaster like layer on the top of your pots depending on how much you use. so if can work it in to the top couple inches, then maybe mix small amount with a watering aswell.

I would go easy at first just because as a top dress u may end up making it difficult to water until mix it in a bit better. but best if just add to ur coco. and be sure ur PH is all good aswell as it will make it a little harder to get higher or lower PH in your medium.

obviously not the only source of calcium but will def help buffer and add calcium. yes its not fast as cal nit but thats part of why its good!

FJ2000

best would be to mix into medium. top dressing you likely will end up with a plaster like layer on the top of your pots depending on how much you use. so if can work it in to the top couple inches, then maybe mix small amount with a watering aswell.

I would go easy at first just because as a top dress u may end up making it difficult to water until mix it in a bit better. but best if just add to ur coco. and be sure ur PH is all good aswell as it will make it a little harder to get higher or lower PH in your medium.

obviously not the only source of calcium but will def help buffer and add calcium. yes its not fast as cal nit but thats part of why its good!

Does the anhydrous form prevent that “plaster” situation? Was looking for a way of adding Ca to coco mid grow without adding the N from something like a calmag supplement. Great info, thanks
FJ

beta

Veteran
Does the anhydrous form prevent that “plaster” situation? Was looking for a way of adding Ca to coco mid grow without adding the N from something like a calmag supplement. Great info, thanks
FJ

Yeah, I've tried both adding it to water and top dressing it + watering it in and in both cases it dissolves immediately.

beta

Veteran
So I've been watering it in top dressed at a rate of about 1 tsp / gal of medium once per week, and I'm seeing great results! I know Ca is one of those things that takes a long time to 'see', but after a couple weeks the plants seem happier, the petioles are 'crisper' when I pluck them off and the stems seem more waxy / dense when I cut through them. Stems feel more rigid / thick and I can't get branches to easily 'peel' off touchy cultivars like Original Diesel anymore.

I think this fixed my problem!

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
I have been dissolving gypsum and adding it to my feeds along with aminos from Kelp 4 Less and my plants are very happy about it. About 50 to 100ppm. Growing in coir, dtw. Not very scientific, but the proof is in the pudding.

Latest posts

Latest posts