What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Culinary Peppers Thread

Betterhaff

Veteran
Well then it may have a wilt. I would move it away from your other peppers or destroy...tough to treat.

Edit: Trash the soil too.

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
Tepins are great for making hot vinegar out of them. Just cut the stem with a bit of the peppers but so vinegar can penetrate them and extract the fire. They are moderately hot and don't have much taste and I find no other use for them since they are so full of seeds. i use my hot vinegar in sauces so i don't mind some seeds in there. ofc, they could be strained, but I don't do it.

About that dead plant, I suspect a wilt as well. Lots of water from rain might have made the conditions anaerobic enaugh so the wilt overpowered the plant very easy.

Mate Dave

Propagator
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I planted out today, I cut pallet of fresh dirt 'Real peat free Soil' (Not Store compost ) with various amendments/ameliorants, then planted, Beans,Peas Potato Tomatos, Chilies, Peppers, Courgettes, Achocha, Herbs.. That's about it.. Plan is to no till the pots now and cover crop them and rotate so I have had to get planting plans and a propagation schedule timeline drafted up.. Busy times..

Round 2 of sowing starts in September and I have to sow some salad's progressively for months..

These chillies I have are Perinnial/Biennial depends on the light/temps/fertility.

What do some of you recomend as some chillies I can eat that are not too 'ohhh'??

I done Apache F1 last few seasons and it's boring me, they're a bit hot for dipping and my pizzas.

What sweet peppers are there that ain't bell that have some kick?? (I've done Big Jim's)

I need to buy seeds.. I gotta elevate my Salsa/Marinara garden in diversity..

Gry

I grow anihiems, passillias , bells and a couple of the sweet peppers. I grow in containers on the edge of the driveway. The anihiem chiles are not real hot, but they are very good.
I had real good luck saving the seeds from a pack of the mini sweet peppers that sell in the grocery stores, they have become my best producers.

Last edited:

Betterhaff

Veteran
I'm growing anaheims for the table, long red cayennes for spice, and Caribbean red scotch bonnets for the...

These are in the garden, kind of boring this year but it works. I may put a few exotics in pots.

I used to grow Big Jims instead of anaheims but my seeds were old and didn't come up and couldn't find any plants locally. Love those.

Bluto

Yep Big Jims, Sandias, Chimayo red are all great peppers for eating. Around here we use them in everything. i.e. apple pie. They are generically called green chiles but it is a huge part of the New Mexican diet. Can be mild to fairly hot. If left in the field they turn red and are ground into a sauce, green they are roasted peeled and chopped. A cheeseburger with chopped green chile is one of the best things ever, or breakfast burritos smothered in red sauce with cheese and onions. damn I'm hungry now...

Thats totally sun burn, I burnt my big bell I had in undierect sunlight for the first month, and in 4 hours in direct outdoor sun, it looked worse than yours.

Hey everybody by the way, I've got green bells, hot thai, red chilli, and serrano. Here the issue im having, I'll try to post a pic later, it started on my red chilli, got small brown dots on shoot tips then on surrounding flowers. I saw a few spots then on my green bell, so Im assuming this is a bacterial spot. I sprayed with copper, so hopefully that'll take care of it. It really doesnt look like an insect thing, but if anybody has any tips or ideas that wiuld be really appreciated. It has been quite wet and chilly for the last week or so.

Yeah ill get that picture up tonight, likely not a def. though, just my opinion, really prime soil, and only 2 of 40 plus plants are showing anything but vigor. Hopefully we can get it pegged with a picture. With talking with a few folks today, im now about 90% sure on bacterial spot.

heady blunts

prescription blunts
Veteran
you guys gotta try some shishito peppers! i get a pretty mild variety (green star i think) from johnny's but they are my favorite for eating. just blister them in a pan of hot oil, dress with sea salt, and serve with sriracha mayo for dippin!

we usually grow jalepenos, cayenne, and poblanos or pasillas. i always want to do cubanelles or banana peppers but we don't really eat them so they don't get the real estate.

i like thai chilis for heat.

not really a fan of sweet peppers.

Any body growing New Mexico chillis? I grew em last year and they killed it, but were way milder than I expected, totally sweet, but delish. Any of you over in the tomato thread? What are yall up to as far as training/supporting? My big bells are topped once and grow into "V" with each leg supported by a bamboo stake. I think the new mexican chillis got staked last year, but the other peppers didnt need anything.

Gry

Been mixing peppers in the blender then cooking them down to a paste. I add chia seeds and sauted mushrooms then mix 50/50 with mashed avocado. It is what I eat in place of eggs for breakfast.

Betterhaff

Veteran
...so Im assuming this is a bacterial spot. I sprayed with copper, so hopefully that'll take care of it.
As a precaution I would spray copper on all your plants and keep a close eye on the ones with the symptoms. As far as I know there is no remedy for bacterial leaf spot, once a plant has it it's there. If it gets really bad I'd pull them so they don't affect the others because you won't get quality fruit or yield from the infected ones.

I feel like the grim reaper in this thread but I'd rather error to the side of caution. I had a wilt that totally wiped out my tomatoes years ago and to grow the next years crops I replaced the soil in my beds.

As a precaution I would spray copper on all your plants and keep a close eye on the ones with the symptoms. As far as I know there is no remedy for bacterial leaf spot, once a plant has it it's there. If it gets really bad I'd pull them so they don't affect the others because you won't get quality fruit or yield from the infected ones.

I feel like the grim reaper in this thread but I'd rather error to the side of caution. I had a wilt that totally wiped out my tomatoes years ago and to grow the next years crops I replaced the soil in my beds.

Already sprayed the lot of em and the 'maters copper lol, I did as soon as i saw it on a second plant. Im headed to take a photo now.

Last edited:

Bluto

Yea rusty,New Mexico lives on green chiles. The secret for heat is poor soil, low moisture, and little water. That brings the heat. I believe chiles are one of NM's top agricultural crops. Colorado claims they love em too but they general fuck em up one way or another. Bobby Flay even got destroyed trying to out do the NM green chile burger from San Antonio, NM. He tried some gringo shit with poblanos. The Owl Bar in San Antonio NM is the shit for green chile cheeseburgers. They were invented to serve the scientist working on the Manhatten Project. New Mexico chiles can be very hot, jalapeño hot, fyi. Im hungry again, just had some in a calzone and it was bomb. #1 topping for pizza in NM

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I have some Heirloom Hot Lemon Peppers growing now. First time but the picture on the seed packet caught my eye, as it looked like a pepper my grandma used to grow when I was a kid. I'm hoping it is the same line of pepper. It was actually a Burpee seed packet. We shall see.

Heres that photo....really sorry about the bad quality, I really usually try to take nice pictures, but was dealing with some other stuff...never looked at the shot. This is the Serrano pepper, i know its way out of focus but the 1-2mm brown spots are what Im talking about. They show on flowers and young fruit too. Sorry again for the bum picture. I can take another later if I need to.
picture.php

Betterhaff

Veteran
Tough to tell from that pic but BLS will show on flowers and fruit not just leaves.

By the way, Wiki has some good info on New Mex chilis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Mexico_chile

@ Lester, I've grown that Hot Lemon. Small plants but lots of peppers. Was OK, about the same heat as Cayenne but different flavor, kind of tangy.

Attachments

• BLS.pdf
    102.1 KB · Views: 53

Latest posts

Latest posts