What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Poppy seeds...

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have read that MOST poppies produce opium, not all. I have read recently that you can legally grow them here in the states, but if you slice the pods to produce the tar, you have crossed a legal line in the sand. will just having them in your garden bring the law down on you? info appreciated...

I doubt it...
less they catch ya collecting resin.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking my timing couldn't have been better for spreading some poppy love around the yard.

We've been experiencing a dry spell so I got out my Black Carnation poppy seeds a put out about 30 locations of 50-100 seeds in each spot.

Then...

2 nights ago it began snowing and snowing and snowing and it's still snowing. :D So far those seeds are sitting under a foot to a foot & a half of the white fluffy goodness.

Thanks for the tips yall.

H

Hashash

I have read that MOST poppies produce opium, not all. I have read recently that you can legally grow them here in the states, but if you slice the pods to produce the tar, you have crossed a legal line in the sand. will just having them in your garden bring the law down on you? info appreciated...

i read up that its a very confused grey zone in which the boarder of legality is crossed
when it shows clear signs of production in means of latex

if you grow them as a decorative or even to harvest some seeds, nobody will blame you.

in Germany its very tight about it, even big farmers which grow it commercially
had difficulties cultivating the somniferum, only one or 2 specially bred kinds
with low alkaloids where allowed to be grown, i dont know how accurate that is now
but in Austria it is actually allowed to grow them, but its still a drug so if you abuse it
you get intro trouble just the same.

H

HazeOil

poppys
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

:wave:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
This is very interesting.

There are a couple poppy plants growing in my town. I've looked at them and the stems are not smooth like those photos, they're completely covered in long hairy trichomes. Not resin filled, more like fiber.

What's the humidity like where those photos were taken? I'm guessing much higher than 25% on average?

H

HazeOil

i was gifted these, im told there heirloom from the 70s:biggrin:
the humidity today is at 47% and thats bout the normal for here...

corky1968

Veteran
I tried growing some this Spring but I didn't take care of them enough.
Their peat pellets got to dry and all they died. Next year, I'm using only
soil. They are such nice flowers and I wish the petals didn't fall off so
soon.

Douglas.Curtis

i was gifted these, im told there heirloom from the 70s:biggrin:
the humidity today is at 47% and thats bout the normal for here...
Sounds about right. Thank you for the feedback. This is more confirmation of what I've been trying to explain to folks for a while now. :) I started a thread on this topic today, with some initial research links listed. https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=330952

Poppies have a different type of trichome, their response to low humidity seems the same as cannabis.

Thanks again for posting the pictures, I stopped in here on a lark because of that plant growing in town. :)

Douglas

Betterhaff

Veteran
There are a couple poppy plants growing in my town. I've looked at them and the stems are not smooth like those photos, they're completely covered in long hairy trichomes. Not resin filled, more like fiber.
Those are probably Oriental poppies. The whole plant is covered with them, they almost look "furry". And they are perennials. Opium poppies are relatively naked for lack of a better term and are annuals but if established in suitable conditions will come up from seed year to year.

Nice pics HazeOil. I see you have some hens and chicks.

Douglas.Curtis

Those are probably Oriental poppies. The whole plant is covered with them, they almost look "furry". And they are perennials. Opium poppies are relatively naked for lack of a better term and are annuals but if established in suitable conditions will come up from seed year to year.
No, don't think that's the case. (Checked google images and they don't look like oriental poppies at all)

There are also some completely different, red poppies, over in Breckenridge, same hairy stems. They're the classic, poppy looking poppy flower. Nearly all the flowers around here have hairier stems than you'd normally see.

It's generally around 20%-25% RH here.

Last edited:

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Back in 2012 I did a pictorial on indoor Poppy growing. It was on a rather liberal European forum and several subjects were discussed which are forbidden here.
But.
Ornamental poppies can be ordered online and are legal.

So I will do a simple photo set as a group of Dwarf Danish Flag ornamental poppies are grown in a marijuana garden. As mentioned by another member, the cycle is reversed. The poppies are sprouted and vegged in the bud room.
Previous experience shows poppies liking almost half again as much light as cannabis. The numbers for full spectrum light used here is 1100 umol at the top of the plants. Marijuana gets 850 umol.

I grow the Dwarf Danish Flag for several reasons, one is the flowers which are an exact duplicate of the Danish flag, a Tasmanian strain was bred with colorful dwarf varieties until the flag motif showed up. Another reason is it can be grown indoors as the height remains under four feet. And lastly, the plant is generous with pods, up to forty on a 'perfect storm' plant, the pods averaging 1-1/2 inches diameter containing tan seeds that go well in muffins.

The photos start up close with mist still on the baby leaves, and end with all the lights (and the edges of marijuana) showing. All the side lighting becomes important later when the pods go upright.

EDIT: Found an old 2013 photo of a siamesed pod with double the petals.

Attachments

• 0.JPG
    0.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 23
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 24
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    183.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Crown spokes have no centerpoint.jpg
    Crown spokes have no centerpoint.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 31

therevverend

Veteran
Tasmania grows 50% of the world's pharmaceutical opium. The Powers That Be decided it is so isolated it would be hard for organized crime and smugglers to divert some of the production to the illegal market. Before that Turkey and India among other places had an ancient tradition, families who had farmed opium for hundreds of years. These people lost their livelihood to hide the world's dirty little secret.
Now the pharmaceutical companies could buy the opium from Afghanistan. The US is already protecting the opium producing farmers. Why not offer them a fair price and bypass the cartels? I'm sure the farmers in Tasmania get paid more for their opium then the Afghan farmers make for theirs. Doubt it will happen. UNunited Nations.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Two different supply streams. Afghanistan is purely illicit and flows through Karachi.

Watched the port and border authorities clamp down a few years ago after the big post-Taliban boom.

Likely wanting more of a cut. Didn't go well for them.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
Living 65 degrees North means most species gardened by mankind will not grow outside. Indoor growth is restrained by cost of electricity consumed versus harvest quantities.

The cultivation of indoor poppy plants from seed to harvest requires six kilowatt hours of energy for every milligram of equivalent extract. At local electric prices that worked out to $1500 USD per gram of product, far higher than any black market price for diverted name brand opiates.
Gardens cultivated near to the Bonneville Dam can expect $350 per gram costs.

Which brings the subject back to growing for ornamental purposes. A one and a quarter inch pod contains the equivalent of 4 mg morphine or 0.4 mg of oxycodone.
The average plant has ten to twenty pods and takes four months seed to pod. Indoor gardening of poppy plants will not support even a mild habit, it would require an acre.

This is the major reason it is still legal to grow poppies in a personal garden, it takes a few square miles to go commercial.

It took five days to get a serrated leaf, we are on our way.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 25
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 20

CaptainDankness

All depends on the variety the Tasmanian ones are right up there but the lesser known Japanese ikkanshu poppy is supposed to be much stronger. Of course indoor growing would still not produce enough for profit.

Easy7

Veteran
Poppies are far from legal to grow in the states. In my state it's an 8 year sentence for manufacturing plus whatever weight you get. 10 grams is considered bulk. So basically one plant (ya they aren't going to wait and dry it for you) and it's a bulk charge.

Real easy to hide them. They don't smell much and other than the colorful flowers, nobody thinks much about it. Indoors it's never going to be profitable. They yield less profit than the energy costs. Unless you have lot's and lot's of windows.

Phaeton

Speed of Dark
Veteran
In Alaska they sell Bob's Red Mill poppy seeds in Fred Meyer (Kroger in the east) stores. Gardens with poppy pods that have not been lacerated are 100% legal.
I have accumulated over 10,000 viable seeds in the two years I grew poppies. I have a sister and two nieces that are police officers and a brother in law that is a state trooper.
My poppy plants are not against the law, my box of 400 pods was left in the open, none of the pods were scored and the half pound of seeds is completely legal as well.
If I occasionally ingest a pod instead of an aspirin, well, that I have to keep to myself. But growing the seeds for baking is OK and most states allow it.
I was going to say all states but Easy7 indicates they are illegal in his state. This sounds odd to me but I do not live there. Are poppy seed muffins and rolls illegal as well?

At two weeks old the sprouts are starting to show hairs and wavy leaves. It will take two months before flowering, at which time they will be taken from the bud room and put under 18/6 light schedule for pod development.

I originally grew Poppies solely because I was continually told they could not be grown inside. With friends growing both Coffee and Coca plants in Alaska I figured Poppies would be easier. They are.

Attachments

• Poppy sprout at two weeks.jpg
    Poppy sprout at two weeks.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Single Poppy in three gallon container.jpg
    Single Poppy in three gallon container.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 27
  • Three Poppies in an eighteen inch round container.jpg
    Three Poppies in an eighteen inch round container.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 29

G.O. Joe

Veteran
Lancing = conviction that's what's up with that. Little old ladies are less likely to be lancing. The current price for dry pods on the internet is much higher than it was years ago.

Are poppy seed muffins and rolls illegal as well?

(17) The term "narcotic drug" means any of the following whether produced directly or indirectly by extraction from substances of vegetable origin, or independently by means of chemical synthesis, or by a combination of extraction and chemical synthesis:

(B) Poppy straw and concentrate of poppy straw.

(F) Any compound, mixture, or preparation which contains any quantity of any of the substances referred to in subparagraphs (A) through (E).

(19) The term "opium poppy" means the plant of the species Papaver somniferum L., except the seed thereof.

(20) The term "poppy straw" means all parts, except the seeds, of the opium poppy, after mowing.