What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Tumble Now Rotator Dry Sifting Machine

here's a question for you that you might be able to answer without cherry picking parts of it that suit you and without shooting off on another rant

What percentage of the resin on the trim can you separate to a high purity with your method? Is it similar to Sam's and you can only separate a small percentage or can you remove most of it with your method?

I can remove most of it, if not all and purify it to that quality, but again, it's not worth it.

Desert Hydro

Veteran
i like the idea of an automated tumbler. sounds cool to load it up and let it do its thing but i just did a run last night using only bubble bags and dry ice chunks and it worked out quite nice. first i run everything through the 220 bag and then i ran that pile through a 75 mesh bag. it was crazy to see all the stuff the 75 bag wouldnt let through from the 220 run. straight dark green particles. the 75 is nice and light until it is pressed and then it darkens up a tad. the only green in mine is because i used the same surface(a giant glass picture frame) to collect the 220 and then the 75 right after.

Attachments

• P1011900.jpg
    P1011900.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 24
  • P1011901.jpg
    P1011901.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 23
T

tropicannayeah

i like the idea of an automated tumbler. sounds cool to load it up and let it do its thing but i just did a run last night using only bubble bags and dry ice chunks and it worked out quite nice. first i run everything through the 220 bag and then i ran that pile through a 75 mesh bag. it was crazy to see all the stuff the 75 bag wouldnt let through from the 220 run. straight dark green particles. the 75 is nice and light until it is pressed and then it darkens up a tad. the only green in mine is because i used the same surface(a giant glass picture frame) to collect the 220 and then the 75 right after.

You can use Bubble bags for dry sifting, but since most trichomes (resin heads) vary between 50 and 120 micron, you would probably get better results by using a 160 then a 125 micron bag than the 220 bag (which has very large openings, which is not suited to aggressive techniques like dry ice) and the 75 bag (which has holes openings that are too small for most of the resin heads to fall through.)

You could also run the stuff that falls through 160 bag again through the same bag a little at a time without the dry ice....resin being heavier and rounder will pass through the mesh initially at a greater rate and contaminant being lighter and mostly oddly shaped pas through the mesh less at first so stop when most of the sift passes through, the 20 or so % that remains on the screen will be mostly contaminant. Then freeze the sift again then run small amounts of the re-sifted kif at a time through the 120 or 125 bag screen. stopping when about 80% of the sift has passed through the screen and keep this contaminant separate from the resin (and this can be thrown in with the second run of the plant material).

another way (and there's lots of them) is to use 160 bag with or without dry ice and gently agitate the small amounts of the frozen plant matter at a time in a low humidity environment.....this will produce a decent quality dry sift that will/should press into a solid form with strong thumb pressure for less than ten seconds....the plant material can be re-sifted for a lower grade of sift (and to remove the remaining resin from the material...this too can be cleaned up by resifting through finer screens in various ways, but in most cases this 2nd sift will never be as clean as the first as it's best to not allow the contaminant pass through the mesh with the resin in the first place rather than trying to separate it later..which is why most sifters who have tried dry ice sifting are happy with the yield and the way it strips all the resin from the plant material but not as the "rocks" of dry ice freezes and breaks up the plant material into tiny sized bits of contaminant and don't bother with it again as the end result has a high percentage of non-psychoactive plant matter mixed in with the resin heads.)

I haven't used dry ice for sifting and haven't used Bubblebags for dry sifting as I have lots of screen frames in various sizes specifically made for dry sifting (with the mesh raised above the surface so resin can easily fall through and with much higher side walls than a screen printing screen so the plant material doesn't spill over the walls) but I would guess that smaller sized pieces rather than big chunks of dry ice would be more effective for getting a less contaminated resin as would using a much gentler sifting action, so maybe try gentle lift and drops instead of shaking it around aggressively.

and I'd also guess that another way to try sifting with Bubblebags is with the 160 bag fitted inside a 120 that is fitted inside a 25, 45 or 73 micron bag so you won't have to worry about containing the dust created with bags, dry ice and the shaking technique making resin fly all over the place...but you would need to set it up so there is a space between each mesh, so maybe place a metal ring inside each bag, the ring would need to be the same diameter as the screen in the bag so the mesh area in each bag is maximized.

Last edited:
T

tropicannayeah

I just realized that I was replying to an old post....lol

anyway, check out Bubbleman's new XL sized Tumble Now automated dry sifting machine