What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CBD in Canada

Tavish

I think Cannabidiol in Canada deserves its own thread!

Regulations are now very different between the two neighbouring countries and access is difficult in Canada.

You still need individual licenses for growing, processing, and selling CBD, even if its derived from hemp!

The topics I currently find most interesting are Regulation, Health Benefits & Studies, and Extraction (supercritical co2 , ethanol, etc)

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
you can buy pure cbd oil from the existing LPs. I don't see how they can bust you in your home making oil. Shatter? Different story.

Tavish

you can buy pure cbd oil from the existing LPs. I don't see how they can bust you in your home making oil. Shatter? Different story.

Yes you can! But you need to apply and receive medical approval from a doctor. Not very difficult, but an unnecessary obstacle.

The oils from LPs cost $85-200CAD for 30-50ml @ 1000mg. Absolutely ridiculous pricing. When you can make your own in the US for <$15.

You may grow up to 4 plants in your home, but you're not allowed to yield any concentrates via solubles. Like co2 or ethanol.

gorilla ganja

The laws in Canada regarding Hemp are ridiculous and even though they just changed, they are also archaic in their thinking.

On a personal level you can grow 4 plants and turn it into anything you want as long as it's by an approved method. I believe CO2 is an approved method.

On a commercial level it's a different story. And try finding an approved cultivar that's over 5% CBD. It will continue to be a long slow process but things may change eventually.

Peace GG

Tavish

The laws in Canada regarding Hemp are ridiculous and even though they just changed, they are also archaic in their thinking.

On a personal level you can grow 4 plants and turn it into anything you want as long as it's by an approved method. I believe CO2 is an approved method.

On a commercial level it's a different story. And try finding an approved cultivar that's over 5% CBD. It will continue to be a long slow process but things may change eventually.

Peace GG

I didn't know that CO2 was a permitted solvent, though cost of setting up a system like that vs ethanol is a barrier for almost anyone. I'd be curious if we could get some seeds from Oregon CBD and grow them here under our personal allowance. Those can be >15% with effectively 0 THC.

troutman

Seed Whore
That list is bullshit. They allow Butane, Pentane and Heptane.

But not Hexane. :moon:

Meanwhile, it's being appealed now by Abattis Bioceuticals Corporation who stated the following:

ORGANIC HYDROCARBON EXTRACTION IS ALREADY A HEALTH CANADA APPROVED EXTRACTION METHOD

Hexane solvent, for example, is widely used in the extraction of vegetable oil from seeds such as soybeans, corn, canola,
safflower, sunflower, cotton, and flax. In addition, hexane solvent can be used to extract fish protein, shea butter, and a
variety of flavor extracts. Extracts made from organic hydrocarbon extraction are in food products we consumer and enjoy
every day. This is a commonly used extraction method in Canada.

https://www.ourcommons.ca/Content/C...external/AbattisBioceuticalsCorporation-e.pdf

gorilla ganja

I didn't know that CO2 was a permitted solvent, though cost of setting up a system like that vs ethanol is a barrier for almost anyone. I'd be curious if we could get some seeds from Oregon CBD and grow them here under our personal allowance. Those can be >15% with effectively 0 THC.

Unfortunately Oregon CBD only sells to licensed Hemp farmers, min. order of $5000 I think. Their cultivars are not approved to grow in Canada yet. There are some good CBD strains available tho on the net.

"What is legal as of October 17, 2018
Subject to provincial or territorial restrictions, adults who are 18 years of age or older are legally able to:

possess up to 30 grams of legal cannabis, dried or equivalent in non-dried form in public
share up to 30 grams of legal cannabis with other adults
buy dried or fresh cannabis and cannabis oil from a provincially-licensed retailer
in provinces and territories without a regulated retail framework, individuals are able to purchase cannabis online from federally-licensed producers
grow, from licensed seed or seedlings, up to 4 cannabis plants per residence for personal use
make cannabis products, such as food and drinks, at home as long as organic solvents are not used to create concentrated products"

Peace GG

I haven’t tested my 2 Orinoco phenos but they(Medical Marijuana Genetics) claim 15% CBD and 10% THC.
Plus it is lovely smelling/tasting weed.
Orinoco delivers on the claims...... which is extremely rare IME.

Rocky Mtn Squid

EL CID SQUID
Veteran
Forget about purchasing CBD from any of the LP's. They will rip you off in pricing and quality.

For the record, wholesale price for CBDA in Canada is about $25.00/gram. The only way to find anything decent is to find an illegal dispensary that is still brave enough to remain open and see what they might offer.

I've checked out all of my local health food stores for CBD. Very few if any carry it, and if they do it's way overpriced and low quality.

You want to find 100% organic full spectrum CBD oil that is lab tested.

RMS

:smoweed:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-can...ducing-cannabis-for-own-medical-purposes.html
Quoted from the government’s page.
“If you are making a cannabis product, such as oil or butter, you are not permitted to use an organic solvent such as butane, benzene, methyl chloride, or chlorinated hydrocarbons.
Using organic solvents to make cannabis products poses significant safety risks, such as fire and explosion, and health risks if the product contains residue from the production process.”

Last edited:

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bjorn if you have better info could you please post it up so everyone knows the truth ?... always good to post references also thanks