What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The salted coconut ....

C

c64

Here I present some plants, from the past and present, which were grown in coco.

My fertilizer are salts.

Basis fertilizer one: 4 – 16 – 32
Nitrate nitrogen content 100%

Basis fertilizer two:
Nitrogen-Calcium part (Calcinit): 15,5% N, 26,5 % CaO
Nitrate : Ammonium ratio (%) 92:8

I dissolve the salts and use a 10% stock solution.

Neutralization of the carbonate hardness and adjustment the pH value of the nutrient solution takes place with nitric acid (sixty percent).

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:
D

dribbled

Those are awesome pictures. I wish they had something in them for size comparison.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
Nitric acid for the win, I thought i was alone in using it.

How long do you hold the 10% stock solution, I wonder.

Beautiful cannabis, excellent photography.

C

c64

Guys, thank you very much for your kind comments. :dance013:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]@ blowingupjake

In Post #4:
Picture 1, strain: Vantage.
[/FONT]But this selection grow is just running and I found another variation, which will be a keeper. A picture of this Vantage variation comes in a few days.

Picture 2 and 3, strain: Afrokush (different variations). Tropical Seeds Company

@ [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Dropped Cat

[/FONT]Yeah, with the sixty percent nitric acid I can work better.
The contained nitrogen in the acid I can then adjust over Calcinit to the total requirement.

I make several 1 liter bottles with the ten percent stock solution and place them in the refrigerator.
The contained citric acid in the fertilizer, can begin with long-term storage with mold formation. In the irrigation pipes, the citric acid should prevent limescale deposits.
To prevent the mold formation in the stock solution, I could use preservatives from the food industry, but not really necessary, I find.
A quick consumption and the mold does not form. A direct addition of the salts would be possible, but always weighed before .... there I am too lazy. :biggrin:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

R

Rox

Damn that's a good grow! I would love colas like that:tiphat:

What lights are you running?

maimunji

I think to swap my buld to philips is this son-t-pia plus 90000 lm? Are you trying osram nav-t super any comprasion if you use them both?
Great plants:tiphat:. Amazing gallery

C

c64

I think to swap my buld to philips is this son-t-pia plus 90000 lm? Are you trying osram nav-t super any comprasion if you use them both?
Great plants:tiphat:. Amazing gallery

Howdy, :)

yes it is the son-t-pia plus 90000 lm.
If the offer is favorable, I also use the Philips MASTER GreenPower 600W (88000lm). Philips and Osram lamps are both very good.
I did not make a direct comparison.

But ... before you think of a change of the lamp manufacturers, all other basic requirements should be right. Checking the right pH in the substrate is much more important in my eyes.

If this is not the case, the setting of the carbonate hardness of the water and / or the correct nitrogen ratio in the fertilizer is more important.

A pH meter with puncture probe is a must have. The drain measurement can be helpful, in addition to the measurement in the substrate.

greeting :tiphat:

maimunji

Thanks for good info. How accurate is measuring of the drain ph compare to this ph probe are they both equivalent when you measure? I always have low ph when I measure run off its 5.0 slurry test also measure 5.0 this with fresh bag canna coco profesional plus. Can you provide some data of your drain ph? I see ph probe say 5.7 but what run off say?

C

c64

Thanks for good info. How accurate is measuring of the drain ph compare to this ph probe are they both equivalent when you measure?

No, there are deviations in these measurements. Different pH values are present in the plant pot. Depending on the type of nitrogen, different pH values are obtained from top to bottom, or from bottom to top. A measurement with the puncture probe should be made close to the main root and in the middle of the pot.

In the case of the drain measurement, a pH value is obtained, which is formed from the sum which is present in the pot. For this purpose, the pH value of the new nutrient solution additionally distorts this. But...with a regular measurement, a drain measurement can also provide knowledge.

I always have low ph when I measure run off its 5.0 slurry test also measure 5.0 this with fresh bag canna coco profesional plus. Can you provide some data of your drain ph? I see ph probe say 5.7 but what run off say?

You use the Canna fertilizer Flores and Vega?
I am assuming you are feeding the right proportion to the needs of your plants.

It is a very complex topic and I do not know all of your factors. It may be, your carbonate hardness of the water is too low. It has a value below 5° dKH (German degrees)? Then you always have a pH value lowering in the substrate (with nitrate nitrogen fertilization).

There are various possibilities for pH correction in the substrate.
The hardening of your water with potassium hydrogen carbonate is a variant. 35.76 mg/per liter is required to increase by 1 ° dHKH.

But your pH reduction is not yet drastic. You have this knowledge so you can control this with high pH of your nutrient solution. Less acid neutralizes fewer carbonates. Always try to fertilize and flush with pH 6.2. It should help you something.

I have a minimal excessively high carbonate hardness for a pure nitrate nitrogen fertilizer. The optimum carbonate hardness for a pure nitrate nitrogen fertilizer is 5 ° dHK (German grade). This carbonate hardness results in a pH stability in the substrate.

I have a 6,5 ° dHK and have an increasing pH value in the substrate, which I balance with a low pH value (5.6) of the nutrient solution.

I hope to have helped you. :)

Getting information about pH correction in the substrate can be helpful. Interactions between carbonate hardness and nitrogen forms, nitrate and ammonium, are important basic knowledge in pH-related problems.

Last edited:

maimunji

Very helpful post and amazing knowledge.
This is some info for my city tap water.
GH 12 KH 5.5 Ph 8.0
I use Canna coco A&B. H&G cocos a&b and ghe 6/9 h3ad and looks like I have same measure with all of them drain always come around 4.9-5.0. I try watering with 6.2 and looks like I have calcium deficiencies with ph that high. 5.8 works best for me.

C

c64

Your carbonate hardness of 5.5 ° should be perfect in combination with the Canna fertilizer.

Canna Coco's nitrogen composition is:
Total nitrogen (N): 5.0%
Nitrate Nitrogen (NO3): 5.0%
Ammonium nitrogen (NH4): 0.1%

I would try a little carbonate boost. Maybe you try it at one plant.
Alternatively you can use sodium hydrogencarbonate to increase, buy in every supermarket. They use people for their aquarium and increase the carbonate hardness.
But supplies useless sodium.

Increase your carbonate hardness by 1 ° should give you better pH stability in the substrate. How much sodium hydrogencarbonate you have to add to I do not know.

When the correct carbonate hardness is adapted to the nitrogen, then the use of buffered Coco an advantage and the pH value in the substrate is smoothed over the entire breeding (more linear).