What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Why the medical marijuana community is split over legalizing recreational use

Prices WILL go down under legalization, until the guvment taxes the shit out of it, then it will cost more than when it was illegal.
That is where the black market will still be around. When legal weed is high priced due to over taxing...The black market, that doesn't tax, will still be profitable and cheaper than legal. Bootlegging of booze and cigarettes is caused by over taxation.

I have always found it a complete and utter affront to human decency that the powers that be restrict/ban/criminalize/prosecute and persecute people for growing a PLANT, and a medicinal plant at that...

We can legally grow poisonous plants such as Belladonna in our gardens, plants that can actually kill you, but cannabis we can not, and even those that can are, or are to be regulated......it's just so bloody ridiculous.
Don't forget about the attractive castor bean plant...Very poisonous with no known antidote. A few seeds can kill and ricin is extracted from the seeds...ALL LEGAL. I never heard of a gardener with kids being charged with child endangerment for having them.

Easy7

Veteran
Mmj should get their stuff together and prepare for a legal rec market. More money to be made if they evolve and keep a nitch.

Seriously, who wouldn't want less competition. More market control by having a majority of the market.

Sforza

Veteran
Capitalism is an invention created by humans, not a law of nature.

Yep, just like antibiotics, the wheel, ice cream, mini skirts, anesthesia, hair spray, television, air conditioning, yoga pants, snickers, bongs, rum, lazy-boy chairs, tacos, beer, the internet, air planes, milk chocolate, automobiles, tooth brushes, pizza, high heels, electric guitars, football, and lots of other stuff good and bad, corporations were created by humans to fill a need.

The fact that they have lasted as long as they have is a testament to their usefulness.

Of course, some societies have banished corporations and had the state assume ownership of the means of production, but then the people have to stand in line for hours to get a roll of toilet paper and a loaf of bread, which has limited the popularity of these alternatives among the masses.

geneva_sativa

It's time to come home from Disneyland kid.

nah, man. . . with markets getting ready to tank around the world, yeah things will come to a head, but mark my words, the world that is there after the storm will resemble what I mentioned above.

Yeah, someone is gonna be yanked off their favorite ride at Disneyland, wont be me amigo :tiphat:

Gry

"If you had a room mate that was as unstable as capitalism, some one would have moved long ago."
Richard Wolff

215 was a blessing in my life. Hate to see it being tossed under the bus. More things of that nature would be a positive.

Last edited:

corky1968

Veteran
Got me thinking......If we were to be able to get into some sort of 'Tardis' (time traveling machine).....and go back 90 years or so in the USA, when alcohol prohibition was repealed...

Where are you going to get a flux capacitor and the required 1.21 gigawatts?

200_s.gif

geneva_sativa

Folks,

PLEASE look at the example that Washington has set in implementing recreational.

They have FUCKED medical.

Medical as we knew it is gone in Washington.

If you want meds of questionable genetics, with pesticides and a 37% tax then come to Washington.

I-502 pledged "no impact on medical". Look for yourself. Don't take my word. THEY HAVE FUCKED US!!!!!!!!!

Please be careful when you vote. Make sure that the legislation is really "good". Just because it supports legalization does not mean that it is the right way to do it.

Please take our (Washington) failures in mind when you vote.

I hope that CA fairs better than WA did.

I wish you the best.

FJ.

This post sums up what has happened in WA,

the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

therevverend

Veteran
Legalization does not mean real legalization. Is growing going to be legal? Can you hold over a pound legally? Or a quarter pound? Or do only rich lawyers who can navigate the rules and regulations get to do these things?
If not it's just a sham to drive out the ma and pa growers, give bored rich people another hobby plus income, and of course make the government a ton more money to misappropriate.

C

cannaisok

they wont legalize it anyway... and if they do so, you will have to go and register your grow.. then its not private anymore and you cant call is free oder legal, its just under a different law.
do people ahve to register their tomatoe grow?
and how are we supposed to build cars, clothes, make fuel and oil from 6 plants per grower?
on the other hand my life got almost ruined because of 6, 2 foot plants police took out of my flat.... but again i doubt i would register my 6plants if it was possible... if i had kids it would be different again...
politicians just fuck our head with this SHIT now. NOTHING WILL CHANGE, CHANGE, CHANGE...

But dont put ur attention on warpigs, geopolitics, goverment, banks,...

Last edited:

geneva_sativa

Just legalize it! As soon you legalize the recreational use in USA the rest of the world can point at you and make the way free in their countries? half of the world is restricting hemp because your goverment tells to do so. Just get sure Hemp industry is included and free growing without REGESTRATION. if you have to register your grow to make it "legal" then really, satan has won!
Do I have to register tomatoes?
Alcool isnt illegal? Drinking and duying isnt! But brewing and creating own special varieties of alcohol means prison in almost all countries.
Thanks USA for 100prohibitions or more... meds(natural), weed, alcohol, education, press, terrorism, bill of rights... no matter what ur govs touch becomes fuking opposite from what it supposed to be...and then they force rest of the world to do the same. 1 9 8 4

babylon the great

this exactly the reason so many here don't want the the government to touch it and will vote NO !!!

iBogart

Veteran
Legalization does not mean real legalization. Is growing going to be legal? Can you hold over a pound legally? Or a quarter pound? Or do only rich lawyers who can navigate the rules and regulations get to do these things?
If not it's just a sham to drive out the ma and pa growers, give bored rich people another hobby plus income, and of course make the government a ton more money to misappropriate.

If it was regulated like tomatoes, old Ma and Pa would still be pushed out of the market. Currently Ma and Pa are the risk takers. In a quasi legal environment with no access to banking, big investors would rather sit on the sidelines. Open up the legal flood gates and all the big money comes rushing in drowning out poor Ma and Pa. Regulations or a free for all, either way, Ma and Pa is gonna get fucked over unless they can adapt quickly to the new legal market.

bluntmassa

Got me thinking......If we were to be able to get into some sort of 'Tardis' (time traveling machine).....and go back 90 years or so in the USA, when alcohol prohibition was repealed...

How would the owners of speak-easy's, gin joint's and honky-tonks feel about alcohol becoming legal again?....How would the owners of once illegal breweries and moonshine stills feel about all the new legal bars and retail establishments that could now operate with a liquor license and sell booze cheaply and freely once again from the major breweries and distilleries?

The same way all the anti AUMA folks feel. Legalization is coming and with it comes big business Joe Kennedy made his billions from it. I'm more thinking about getting in with some of the best Hash makers like how Joe Kennedy was the the importer of Scotch.

geneva_sativa

^ wonder how the thousands and thousands of people that have died due to the cocaine trade feel when they see some smug asshat rattling on about how great coke is ?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It would be real nice to one day see an international cannabis industry, where 'erb/hash and other cannabis consumables are traded openly on a global market.

Where small farmers from any country can market, and sell their goods.

I am gonna vote against it. I personally think it is 180 wrong direction. I think that one of the most enlightened laws I have ever seen in effect regarding drugs is the law they have in Quebec that only allows the mom and pop corner stores to sell beer on Sundays. This law alone is responsible for their continued existence. Anyone can buy beer at supermarket prices up to midnight on Sat. but still so many people buy it on Sunday that it works.
I would like to see something similar in CA (eventually) where the only people allowed to grow for other people would be people who were actually disabled. And then only for a limited number of people. I believe if this happened, in CA and everywhere, that a whole lot of people who now are on social security disability income could suddenly support themselves, by either working small grows themselves like 200 plants or so, or with assistance from non-disabled workers, and we could greatly reduce the future financial problems. Or we could just let the same asshats that now nickle and dime everyone to death while themselves leading predatory lifestyles that are beyond that of former royalty, steal everything like they usually do. Then if you aren't harvesting with a combine and patenting your genetics you ain't in the game. Because you gotta know that these fuckers could put everyone out of business with factory farms and plants that produce a thousand pounds of extracts an hour.
These guys steal everything if you let them, because capital always concentrates until the people wake up and spread it around again to revitalize the economy. Because a hundred million plebs buying common necessities and common luxuries, is far better for the economy than one or two rich pricks buying a yacht or investment homes that nobody lives in. Fuck them. This should be ours, the little guys who where fucked over by society because of their affection for a flower.