What's new

Measure G: Kern County voters decide fate of pot dispensaries

bigbrokush

http://www.kget.com/mostpopular/sto...ecide-fate-of-pot/YBnGAChR80CuU5bziLKOmQ.cspx

We are less than a month away from the June 5th California Primary and one of the most controversial issues on the ballot in Kern County is Measure G. The initiative would limit where medical marijuana dispensaries can operate in Kern County.

There are more than two dozen pot shops in Kern County. But if voters pass Measure G, most of those shops would have to close up and move to the outskirts of the county.

Medical marijuana advocates have produced multiple TV commercials trying to defeat Measure G. The initiative would limit where medical marijuana dispensaries can legally operate in Kern County.

Liz Clarke got her medical marijuana card seven years ago for glaucoma. "This is a choice and we need to accept each other for our differences. I choose not to use pharmaceuticals and it doesn't affect anybody else. It's medicine, it's not a crime," said Clarke.

If voters pass Measure G, medical marijuana dispensaries would be forced to move to industrial parts of the county.

"Measure G provides a balance making sure that patients have access to medical marijuana while making sure at the same time our children are protected and businesses are protected," said Karen Goh, 5th District Supervisor.

Under Measure G, every dispensary would have to be at least a mile away from schools, daycare enters, parks and churches. That leaves only a tiny portion of the county available for them to operate.

It includes parts of Rosamond and Mojave, Pegasus Drive near Meadows Field Airport and an unincorporated area in the far eastern part of the county.

"It will probably remove about 500 jobs from the county. It will remove tax revenues from the county and the state. It will also lead to the decay of neighborhoods where these patient associations have located and actually provided security and rehabilitating the buildings," said attorney Phil Ganong, who represents the dispensaries.

The county argues medical marijuana dispensaries create criminal activity, loitering, increased traffic, noise and litter. "Out of 23 Kern County dispensaries, there have been 59 separate incidents including 14 burglaries, child endangerment, assault and robbery," said Goh.

If voters pass Measure G, store front owners who are not within proper zones will have ten days to relocate or close down. But Ganong says it would be nearly impossible for the dispensaries to relocate.

"No landlord will rent to a patient association. Every land owner must sign a permission slip acknowledging they know what it's being used for. That makes that property a gift to the federal government to confiscate it, to just steal your property," noted Ganong.

"We're caught in between federal law and state law which are in conflict with one another. Of course landowners are supposed to obey federal, state and local laws and that's something we ourselves can not control. But what we've attempted to do is to provide a balance between access and making sure our children and our youth and our businesses are protected," said Goh.

S

SeaMaiden

Of course not! And while we're at it, let's ignore the food deserts that exist in this country and state, because who fucking cares if poor people have easy access to a regular supermarket and are forced instead to shop at a liquor store?

Well said

Well said

Here,Here,..Well said on this issue. And let us not forget a person going to pick up his hand gun or assault riflle after his week or two wait period just down the street from the sckool . And this person is "Mental" and has had a bad week so decides to go shoot up the school.

northstate

ICMag Donor
Damn that sucks BBK especially for the people that cant access clubs very easily. Hope the system does not push it out entirely. NS

I.M. Boggled

Certified Bloomin' Idiot
Veteran
Expanding a bit on some details of this countywide Measure...

Expanding a bit on some details of this countywide Measure...

Measure G is on the ballot because people in the county who objected to a medical marijuana dispensary restriction ordinance enacted by the Kern County Board of Supervisors in August 2011 collected signatures to force the new ordinance to a vote of the people via the veto referendum process.
About 17,000 signatures were collected to force Measure G to a vote.
Measure G:
"Shall a County zoning ordinance be adopted that amends Title 19 of the Ordinance Code to restrict the location of Medical Marijuana Dispensaries to Medium (M-2 PD) and Heavy (M-3 PD) Industrial Districts and to require them to maintain a distance of at least one (1) mile from all schools, daycare centers, parks, churches, and other Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, and to require them to operate in compliance with development and performance standards?"

A "yes" vote on Measure G is a vote to uphold a county ordinance passed in August 2011 that places new restrictions on how medical marijuana dispensaries in the county are allowed to operate.
A "no" vote is a vote against the new restrictions.

Supporters of medical marijuana argue that the new restrictions, if they go into effect, are so burdensome that medical marijuana dispensaries in the county will be forced to close.
Supporters of the new restrictions, such as Sheriff Donny Youngblood, argue that the way that medical marijuana dispensaries currently operate in the county is a "sham" and a cover for recreational use of marijuana.

In the midst of the campaign over Measure G, federal authorities began a crackdown on medical marijuana dispensaries in California, including in Kern County.
They can do that because in spite of the fact that medical marijuana is legal in California, due to Proposition 215, all marijuana is illegal anywhere in the United States, according to the federal government.
U.S. Attorney Benjamin Wagner initiated the crackdown, saying, ""Large commercial operations cloak their moneymaking activities in the guise of helping sick people when in fact they are helping themselves...It's not about medicine, it's about profits."

At present, about two dozen medical marijuana dispensaries are operating in Kern County.

Dispensary history in Kern

2006: Kern County enacted an ordinance that allowed for six licensed dispensaries.
2007: The terms of the six licensed dispensaries were extended.
2009: The 2006 ordinance, limiting the number of dispensaries in the county, was repealed. It was replaced with an ordinance with the minimal restriction that any dispensaries must be at least 1,000 feet from any school.
2010: The Kern County Board of Supervisors enacted an ordinance banning any additional dispensaries.
2011: In August, the Kern County Board of Supervisors adopted an emergency ordinance saying that a maximum of 12 marijuana plants could be grown on any parcel of land. That was adopted as an emergency ordinance. A second ordinance was adopted that is the subject of Measure G.

The editorial board of the Bakersfield Californian urges a "no" vote on Measure G, saying,

"So much is in flux at the federal, state and local levels that California might not be able to fulfill the original intent of the Compassionate Use Act for years, if ever.
The current system of collectives and storefront dispensaries is rife with problems, but at least it honors the law's intent -- helping cancer patients and others who live with chronic pain.
By contrast, Measure G would implement an effective ban.
The county has not made clear what pressing need is addressed by Measure G that justifies making it harder for patients to alleviate their pain, other than satisfying the ideological leanings of a select few county officials."
http://ballotpedia.org/wiki/index.php/Kern_County_Medical_Marijuana,_Measure_G_(June_2012)

imb :)

Natural

I live in Bakersfield (Kern County) and I have no idea what's going to happen; this is bullshit. If anyone else is from bako send me a message! Lets connect up here... fight the good fight!

S

SeaMaiden

Damn, so it passed...? I find myself wondering if people understood what they were voting for. Well, goodbye to the dispensaries in Kern County.

Natural

Damn, so it passed...? I find myself wondering if people understood what they were voting for. Well, goodbye to the dispensaries in Kern County.

Yep it passed... I still can't imagine not having a shop to go to anymore to get my meds if I run out of home grown.
...Stocked up on clones and a little bit of bud for now; really disappointed that cuttings of some awesome genetics will be near impossible to obtain anymore.

How is K co on cultivation or med possession? Dunno wtf is up with certain counties , Kern county C'mon what r ya tryn to pull. I mean really all the water your Almond orchards guzzle and it mostly go to China? But you worried I all the adult med consumers are actually sick or in need. I just do not get this overwhelming urge to bee all up someone's ass like these fuckers, its all " What's in your lungs what's in your closet, are those your children, what's on your cellphone, what's on your head, what's between your legs, is that a Qu'ran? Meanwhile uptown a deejay a play.......

420somewhere

Hi ho here we go
Veteran
Kern County Sheriffs are the enforcers...

Kern County Sheriffs are the enforcers...

The Kern County Sheriff thinks he is in charge and wants to make his own laws.

I frequently go Gold Prospecting in the Mojave :party: the Sheriff doesn't come out to our claims

I was thinking about buying a place out that way but will wait !