What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

DIY - Build a Carbon Scrubber For Dummies!

G

yeah, my fan being 85 CFM did make my inner core to be 5.1". The problem with that is after i put the 6x4 reducer and butted the 6" end cap on it i only have about 1.5" of space in between them. So i made it approx 6" to get a little more area in between the reducer and end cap. know what i mean? it was almost as if the end cap and reducer were butted up against one another.

If dealing with a lower CFM rated fan <100 and If parts were available i'd recommend using a 3x4 reducer. I used them frequently when i was in HVAC. They will be hard to find at home depot or lowes, you'd have to go to an HVAC supply store. I'm not sure as to the relationship between the 2, but i'd bet the relationship between CFM and inner height might be different than 16.6. Also, if you used these parts you'd have to have a longer filter to get the same surface area ratio with a 4x6. i.e. thinner but longer. am i makin any sense?

True Air Carbon Filters for Small Spaces

True Air Carbon Filters for Small Spaces

Yeah your makin sense man. But if your running less than 100 cfms, you are probably better off just getting the cheap True Air carbon filter from Wallyworld. It's cheap and the filter pad replacements are cheap too. If you run one or two in a small room, it would probably take care of your problem. Here's a pic of one I have. Sorry it's not exactly the best of quality.

I don't think that filter would do anything. HEPA filters really just clean shit out of the air. Not smell though. I run one in my grow room just because I don't want dirt flyin all over the place just to keep the air clean. It's a really nice one in fact. Leaving it on by itself it still stinks.. So I wouldn't suggest that.

3x4x4? I would probably build a decent filter. The trick to these little plug in carbon filters is that they cant be used as your exhaust because they don't move enough air. But they can definitely clean air - it just takes a long time. So if you can figure out a way to incorporate them without using them as the exhaust, they might just work for you.

marley1

DurbanPoison said:
I don't think that filter would do anything. HEPA filters really just clean shit out of the air. Not smell though. I run one in my grow room just because I don't want dirt flyin all over the place just to keep the air clean. It's a really nice one in fact. Leaving it on by itself it still stinks.. So I wouldn't suggest that.

3x4x4? I would probably build a decent filter. The trick to these little plug in carbon filters is that they cant be used as your exhaust because they don't move enough air. But they can definitely clean air - it just takes a long time. So if you can figure out a way to incorporate them without using them as the exhaust, they might just work for you.

Durban -

See this is my first grow, I am buying a nice light(HID Hut Digital Kit - A/C reflector, digital ballast, bulb). But i dont wanna throw out the money for a temp odor control situation. I rather right now just use like glade plug-ins or one of those hepa filter things for right now, then when i get my new place and can actually afford better i would build the better odor control.

Do you think using one of those things i linked along with a glade plug in or so would work? Or what?

steve green

yo Poison, just stopped by to take a look at your great DIY... (i've looked a bunch of times) just wanted to give u a big shout out and give u credit for a very informative thread.
i just got a 6" vortex fan...and am really thinking of doing your DIY method..it just seems right,,(and its a fraction of the cost..lol).
have you ever done one for a 6inch vortex? i just dont want to buy all the wrong stuff for making it..especially the measurements..think u can help with that ..maybe a list of some sort.. ..sorry for asking alot..thnx for the help and a really great thread...

G

DurbanPoison

memba how i said my scrubber didnt work, well do u think it would work better if i had it inside my cab suckin air through it

i gettin a 6'' vortex i think it will work better than when i was blowing it

marley - I'm not trying to be a prick by any means. But those hepa filters will NOT help with smell. Not even remotely. Originally, I had that same idea before I built my carbon scrubber. It just cleaned the air really well. Which is still good because then your carbon scrubber will last longer and wont get clogged up. Something that just came to mind though is a pinesol bubbler. You can fill a container with water and put a pump and bubble wand into it to diffuse pinsol. Do a search for it, i'm sure you'll come up with something. I think DoctorLongBottom was the one who suggested it originally - he said it worked great if I remember right. That would probably be the cheapest/best temporary solution IMO.

steve green - Thanks for the props. I tried to be as informative as I could be. The 6" Vortex will do nicely with one of these scrubbers. One recent suggestion was to use window screen rather than panty hose. It would be a lot easier to get on than the leggings for the larger sized filter/core. I have the 4" vortex and I love it. It even feels like overkill lol - but then again, I have a micro NGB box. You can check it out in my sig if you like. As for measurements, I would be happy to help you out. I think most of the answers are already in the DIY, but if there's something specific that your confused on or having trouble with, feel free to post it here and i'll get you back.

aizen - Yeah I was surprised to hear that you said your scrubber didn't work. That's a real bummer man. From what I've read though, you really want to force the air through the filter rather than sucking it in through it. It will do a better job, although I am sure it would still work the other way, but I'm sure no where near as good. Is your filter not blowing or what exactly is going on with it? Let me know.

Peace and Sticky Green Trees All
Thanks for stopping in!
~DP

G

what it is, is i think i made it two short i had it hooked up to a stanley blower which is like 256cfm. i put incense in my cab just one not to strong a scent either, went up to my attic where the filter is and i could still smell the incense a lil bit

but im gettin a vortex 6'' gonna get the fan controller for it too

gonna rebuild the filter though, the one i have now can fit inside my cab so when i get my fan i'll c how that goes.

u think it could b the carbon i got it from the petstore

aizen - That's really strange. Did I interpret correctly that you have dcuting running up from your cab to your attic and thats where the filter is at the very end? I don't know for sure, but I think you may have too much resistance with your ducting. Just an idea.

As far as the filter core goes, you should need one that's 15.42" long. I can't say for sure, but if your filter is only a foot long, I'll bet that's the problem. Air still blows thru, but it creates an internal vortex preventing the air from actually passing thru the filter because there is too much resistance in the core. I would suggest you make your core 15.5" long or perhaps even 16" to be on the safe side. I started out with one just 2" short and that was enough to prevent the filter from working. Try that and if it still doesn't work, we can investigate a bit more into troubleshooting.

Peace
~DP

NOKUY

Veteran
DurbanPoison said:
Parts:
Casa Depot-
1 - 4" Duct Cap $2
1 - 6" Duct Cap $2
1 - 4" Duct Collar $4
1 - 6" Duct Reducer $6
2 - 4" Hose Clamps $2
2 - 6" Hose Clamps $2
1 - Roll Duct Tape $3

Small roll of welded steel mesh (few sq. yards)

Thanks for the excellent DIY "DurbanPoison"

I'll be building on of these in the comming week or so.

Real straight forward explanation, I have no questions regarding the build.

But, Do you guys think that Home Depot employees would have any idea what was up if I purchased all the ingrediants above at the same time, and nothing else....I'm figuring not, but I'm not sure how often they see this stuff????

Ganico

Veteran
What about calculating for a smaller core though? Pretty much like the "39cfm" mini can filter (705), cause I'd like to replicate that.

green_grow

Veteran
nokuy ... that parts list is pretty innocent-looking. if any questions are asked , your buddy is re-working your furnace ducting to provide more heat to a specific area. your buddy is the sheet metal guy and you are just picking up what he told you to .

green_grow said:
nokuy ... that parts list is pretty innocent-looking. if any questions are asked , your buddy is re-working your furnace ducting to provide more heat to a specific area. your buddy is the sheet metal guy and you are just picking up what he told you to .

NOKUY:
I agree. One suggestion though - use the self check-out if possible. Then there isn't anyone there to ask questions. Regardless though, the parts that will be found at home depot really aren't going to look like anything. And think about how smart the cashier is. My buddy used to work there and several of his friends smoked bud anyway. I really wouldn't be concerned.

Ganico:
If you're using that small of a fan, your wasting your money building a filter. I wouldn't suggest that. Although, I am sure it could be done, but I truly don't think it will be worth your time. In your case, I would go with the cheap wally world Tru-Air carbon filters. It will save you time and money and the replacement filter pads are cheap. And if you were intending to use that small of a fan, then it will work out perfectly in your small area (which I am assuming you have). It really wouldn't be worth the time and effort though for such a small area IMO.

green grow:
Welcome! Thanks for stopping in.

TheSource - Yeah it should save you some time and effort, although I have no idea on pricing. I don't think it's too expensive though.

TheSource

Went and got a roll of fiberglass screen for 6 bucks. way more than I need.

Now for the activated carbon. What kind am I looking for? large? small? How do these look, Ebay Auttion? How much will it take to fill? 50lbs? I made mine 30" tall with a 6" inner core/8" outer shell. Would a pre filter on the outside make it any better? or would it slow it down too much.

Last edited:

Ganico

Veteran
I'm not sure if you know what I'm talking about, it's a 50cfm bathroom fan, I saw someone else on here had used a 50cfm bathroom fan with the 39cfm 705 mini can filter with sucess. I was just trying to replicate the 705 can fan, which has an outer diamter of 4''. Gonna try to aircool a 150 and scrub 10 cubic feet of space with it (really less than that, pots and other stuff take up fair amount of cab's airspace)

I saw a thread a while back where someone used the same broan/nutone 50cfm bathroom fan and just made a square filter the same size that fit on the bottom. I looked today and a few weeks ago for that thread but couldnt find it. Not sure which site it was on. Could have been an OG archive or cached page or something.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the bathroom fan will be fine, guess time will tell. It's the scrubber suitable for it I'm having trouble with. I'll figure out some kind of filter I guess, that works somehow.

Thanks for the help,
-ganico

Last edited:
G

DurbanPoison said:
aizen - That's really strange. Did I interpret correctly that you have dcuting running up from your cab to your attic and thats where the filter is at the very end? I don't know for sure, but I think you may have too much resistance with your ducting. Just an idea.

As far as the filter core goes, you should need one that's 15.42" long. I can't say for sure, but if your filter is only a foot long, I'll bet that's the problem. Air still blows thru, but it creates an internal vortex preventing the air from actually passing thru the filter because there is too much resistance in the core. I would suggest you make your core 15.5" long or perhaps even 16" to be on the safe side. I started out with one just 2" short and that was enough to prevent the filter from working. Try that and if it still doesn't work, we can investigate a bit more into troubleshooting.

Peace
~DP

no doubt man thanx for the help, im just gonna make one thats 2' and adjust the air speed on my vortex with a controller.

but i want to ask u is the carbon from the pet store effective, i know u might need to replace it more often than the better stuff.