What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Blood/bone meal attracting animals?

q p one

I plan on growing outdoors organically but I'm worried that the blood/bone meal I'm amending my soil with will attract unwanted animals. I've heard that "cooking" the soil will eliminate the chance of predators smelling it.

If so, how long should I "cook" the soil prior to planting? Are there any other precautionary measures I can take against unwanted animals? And are there any other organic amendments that can replace blood meal and bone meal altogether?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
I've heard that blood meal does, and bone meal doesn't. But I don't think wolves are
going to eat your plants. lol

T

ThirstyKenny

Just put down some of that concrete reinforcing mesh man and plant in one of the squares. Cut it to size with bolt cutters or grinder. Preare the under soil first. You can also use the mesh to tie the branches off to. Animals cant dig through the mesh ;)

Sinkyone

Build a good fence. I've never once had an animal screw with my plants when using bone or blood meals but I make damn sure nothing bigger than a squirrel can get in my garden.

S

Sat X RB

yes, the beasties in this country LOVE fresh blood and bone.

without getting too technical about composting it is most wise to prepare yr garden in winter for a summer planting. I mean you'll need some time ... two months at least for yr bood and bone to unsmell.

blood and bone conditions the soil well but is not so nutritious as other things ... like composted chicken shit pellets, for example ... altho too much of that will make plants stretch unnecessarily (lotsa Nitrogen).

cow shit is good, horse shit is almost as good. or after first digging in some chicken shit you could simply amend yr soil with fish emusion every so often ... or brew 'teas' and amend with those.

cannabis is a weed. it does NOT like fresh manure of any sort. except perhaps if you piss on yr plant ... which is not exactly manure.

cheers!

q p one

Just put down some of that concrete reinforcing mesh man and plant in one of the squares. Cut it to size with bolt cutters or grinder. Preare the under soil first. You can also use the mesh to tie the branches off to. Animals cant dig through the mesh ;)

where can i get some concrete reinforcing mesh? i like the idea and also how much will it cost me?

S

SeaMaiden

I use hardware cloth. It's the quarter inch or so stuff that comes in a roll. I discovered my dry fish hydrolysate attracts raccoons and lost a corn planting to them.

S

Sat X RB

where can i get some concrete reinforcing mesh? i like the idea and also how much will it cost me?

concrete mesh too heavy. use square mesh fencing wire. 3''/75mm squares. 12 guage (that's a bit under 1/8").

depends on yr critters. mesh size may have to be smaller.

linking to SeaMaiden's suggestion: you may be able to buy mesh made from recycled plastic if yr beasties dig rather than chew.

cheers!

Latest posts

Latest posts