What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

midwest growers unite

astartes

What up all? Another good ol' midwest boy here! Good to see this group coming together. Seems like every other region has a group, finally us:)

I'll do my part to bring some of those Western genetics a bit more in land. SFV OG, Bubba, The White Grape Ape and God's Gift comin to a cow field near you soon :rasta:

Currently running a 150w cab for the summer. This cramped space made the decision for me: The 400w is getting replaced with a 600w when it cools down. Can't wait.

Good to hear from so many midwesterners and can't wait to see this thread hoppin'.

astartes

astartes

What's up bro! Can't believe it took me this long to find this thread. Been buried in the hand-watered coco thread. Gonna make the switch from ebb n flow to coco in the 150w cab this summer for practice. The new 600w is gonna be all coco this fall!

Bird how are you liking the Homebox with 600w? I think that'll be my setup, but I can't decide between the 1.3m or 0.8m square box. Any suggestions?

SoEx

smoke1sun said:
Hey great lookin plants. One question whats that lemon stinky like. Ive been eyeing that for awhile. How many different phenos did you get or did you not plant the whole pack? Any sensi star dom phenos?

Oh the final smoke was sensational. I germed only two seeds, one of which my trained attack cat (heh) killed. I was lucky enough that it turned out to be a female. The resulting bud wasn't very dense, but it was very trichome-covered nad made for some very nice smoke. The smell was extremely lemon-piney, but a bit hard to describe exactly.

L

lostinethereal

Not much to show off (well nothing actually!) but another Midwesterner out in Nebraska representing IC. Anyone else out in Nebraska? I'm in the capital city, a college town full of idiot drunkards..Oh well, blow out a thick enough cloud of smoke and you wont even know they're there :muahaha:

I have no preference on the name but I kind of think the other names are sorta cheesy and somehow lessen the impact.

I'm working on my first grow, I can definitely tell there's room for improvement. The cab has been running a bit too warm I reckon (just need to flip the fan back to 12v from 9) and I was afraid of burning them and instead I'm pretty sure I starved them of N and P. But that's what I was looking for, fuck up plants to gain experience from and hopefully still some buds at the end of it.

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
im loving the hb, in one week you can see the major differencer in growth over the 150w with the 6. i got the 4x4 for pretty damn cheap shipped, barely over 2 bills, pm me ill tell ya where. the straps themselves aren big enough to go around a filter though, i had to use rope to tie up my filter. other then that im loving it, gives me the future ability of perpetual sogging.

nice report soEx, the LS i ran herm'd on me, but that was prolly due to 12/12 being induced under cfls to show sex before transplant, i.e. my fault :spank:

hopeing my grow doesnt get as seedy from the wild hemp. fields and feilds of that shit grows up here wild. lol even had some in the court yard of the jail. was in the news awail back. any other midwest growers have this problem? gave up on out door grow for my new hydro set up. i hope it works..

Burn-z

Just checking in again... Nice looking plants all.

My Flower room had to be moved to the garage temporary... Fuckin central air went out and AC man had to go right where my room was set up.

These plant are in 100% coco, Canna nutes.

I know the HPS sucks for pictures but I didnt want to take them out. (lazy)

Double Stawberry Diesel 35 days flower.

Same DSD as above.

Jillybean 48 days Flower.

bobblehead

Veteran
I've never seen feral hemp in Michigan. That would be a bitch... I put a whole forest between my seed and seedless patches... never had a problem.

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
seems llke us midwesterners like to run sub's gear. anyone have the flav? anything strictly TGA, ie. grimm reaper, big foot, juggernaut?

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
i agree koopa, i keep seeing jillybean pop up. the only one of his i was ever interested in was JTR, but its a super poly and i dont want to play the pheno game.

im from MI, did see one wild patch there that popped up every year behind this barn, but it wasnt the same as here in SD. in WII the had hemp farms all over the place here. when i 1st moved here i was like wow im in heaven, it grows wild here. but the only buzz ya get, is the one in your head from smokeing it. thought about trying to mix some good genetics with a few patches. maybe covert some patches for hash makeing. but feel its a waist of time. ill have to get some pics of a few wild fields and post them up. its just a pain to out door growers in area. with all that pollen in air. the gov has been spraying them. but its a waist of time. i seen this big patch sprayed a few diffrent years and it comes back every year. who would ever think weed a problem for us growers.

astartes

I grew out Sub's Jack's Cleaner BX a bit back. Way too many phenos, but there was one plant I was really impressed with. Great smoke, taste and smell. Sure is a shame I lost it.

I'm with you Bird and koopa, any time a breeder states that he did pheno selecting by 10 seeds or so, I tend to stay away. Gave it a try when Sub was all the rage, but wasn't terribly impressed overall. Maybe things have changed?!?

The thread's starting to move now! Just rollin up a bit of Casey Jones and gonna smoke one for the midwest crew!

astartes

abirdintheair

Buteo Jamaicensis
Veteran
lucky bastard, ill have a grip of casey very soon though. only jacks cleaner im gonna run will be the JCxGFxG13.

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
hey bird, i'm interested to see how that 3 way cross does for you. seems like a good mixture of genetics right thurr.

astartes - is jc bx same as jtr2? maybe that is why there was so much variation. i know JTR has at least 5 main phenos or so. most of them would be considered keepers too. sub told me my jtr is very jc dom, so hopefully on the lemon side!

Last edited:
L

lostinethereal

midwestnug said:
hopeing my grow doesnt get as seedy from the wild hemp. fields and feilds of that shit grows up here wild. lol even had some in the court yard of the jail. was in the news awail back. any other midwest growers have this problem? gave up on out door grow for my new hydro set up. i hope it works..

Yeah absolutely have that problem here. Any outdoor shit I've gotten from anyone has always been seeded, I can walk literally a block any direction and find a few probably 5ft tall hemp plants in someones overgrown backyard or a neighborhood under construction (with vacant lots I mean).

I also gave up the dream of a nice outdoor crop. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if after being outside for a day and I came home to accidentally pollinate a lady with some hemp pollen. I can't find it anywhere but when I used to look at the pollen index it would specifically list hemp and it was always moderate to high around my area in the summer/fall.

astartes

Koopa ---

I'm not sure what the make-up of JTR2 is, but in the JC BX1 Sub used a blueberry dad to stabilize the Jack's Cleaner P1 mom. Jack's Cleaner is aka Jack's Cleaner bx1, just the bx1 has fallen off over time.

I got 4 females outta the pack, but all 4 showed wide variation from more indica to the super stretchy JC that I had around for a bit. It was so lemony smelling and tasting, one of my buddies actually puckered up his face the first time he tried it, lol!

Good luck with the JTR, if she is the JC pheno, you're one lucky bro. Can't wait to see as she progresses :jump:

astartes

Haps

stone fool
Veteran
The male hemp here in lincoln land drops it's pollen in june mostly, long before our hybrids begin to flower, it is the hermi's that are the danger, they do put out pollen into august some places, and most of the fems are hermi's. I never had hemp pollinate any outdoor herb in any of my outdoor crops last century, and there was a lot more wild hemp then.
H

lc00p4

STORM-TROOPA
Veteran
astartes - my bad. jc2 is jc x jtr x jc. thanks for the info. i was in the lab today and they looked so fine. the moonshine mix really brought them back to life.