What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Seedlings Wilting After Transplant to Waterfarm

Xmaggle

Hi Guys

Sorry no pics. Can't get my camera talking to my hobby computer yet.

Anyway, started two seeds in rockwool under a T5. They were looking pretty at 7 days, with the first real leaf after the one that first pops with the seed. I moved them each into a Waterfarm (drip/RDWC) unit on a four unit system with half-strength GH nutrients under a 540 true watt LED. The light is as high as I can get it, about 46 inches above the seedlings. Air temp in the room is good at mid-70s farenheit and water temp is good at 68 farenheit.

Immediately after transplant they appeared to respond positively, the leaves spreading out flat and soaking up the new light. After 12 hours, one seedling's leaves began to go a little limp, and it got worse through the day. At about 36 hours, she had fallen over. Doesn't look like damp off. The stem didn't do that too-skinny thing. Just limp. I pulled her back into my germination tray under then T5, and she is looking a little better.

At the same time that the first one fell over, the second began to show the same initial wilting. The rockwool cube is soaking wet and so is the media, so I turned off the pump that drives the dripper for now, on the off chance that she isn't ready for the constant bath of the dripper.

Anyway, leaf color looks fine on both seedlings. Not too dark green. Not too pale. Nothing especially weird or unhealthy looking other than the sagginess. No discoloration or strange patches of ugliness or anything (Same for both seedlings.)

So what did I do wrong here? Did I just move them into the Waterfarm or under the big light too soon?

Used to use these Waterfarms all the time, but have been away from growing for seven years, and I am sure have forgotten some stuff. All I have ever done is hydro. This is my first grow after starting back.

Anyway, any input would be appreciated, and assuming the babies are still alive, I'll post a photo when I get this camera to hobby computer thing working.

Xmaggle

G

I guess you figured it out by now, but've i had the same problem on my first run with a waterfarm. After changing the setting on the timer to intervals the problem stopped. When they're small they dont like the constant watering. Later on when they were about 20cm i put it in 24h without issues.

Latest posts

Latest posts