What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

British legal question for the experts

Spaventa

Veteran
It’s legal to possess, buy and sell cannabis seeds but what about pollen?? Could I set up a legit operation selling elite pollen?

Pollen contains no THC so surely can’t be classed as a drug.

I did google but can’t find anything.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I think you would be fine, as the levels of thc and cbd would likely be below the allowed limit of 0.2% iirc

Spaventa

Veteran
Hold on... if exceeding a maximum cannabinoid content makes things illegal... then are the entire male plants legal?? Googled that too and it’s as clear as mud, as intended.. bastards

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
They won't have a clue.

Below 0.2% you have hemp, not Mary Jane. Hemp production requires a license and ongoing testing.

The 0.2% limit is why seeds are ok, it's hemp. It won't stone you. A male plant probably is OK but production would require monitoring.

This is what your looking at. The line between help and MJ. Which is defined by content. People growing for cbd are looking for a plant that is very close but not quite over the limit, for there part of the world. Working with cuttings of that near perfect plant is a lot of work, but seeds are too varied. Hence work being done to make seeds artificially (a current thread) which are tiny tissue samples encapsulated in a medium that gets them rooting.

I dare say whatever your shipping in will be hemp.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I assure you, male plants have plenty of THC unless it's a low THC hemp strain.

To sell elite pollen, you'll have to work with elite plants. This means you'll have an illegal grow at some point.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Yes - with seeds - I am legally allowed to own and sell them (in the UK) - but it would be illegal for me to produce them - without a cannabis drug-cultivar (hi-THC) licence.

I presume that the same laws would apply to making a bizz out of selling pollen - as long as you are not the pollen producer - then it should be ok to sell pollen - since it contains no THC.

Spaventa

Veteran
Cool. As long as my site says the pollen comes from abroad, it should be ok ;)

A5 reversed pollen anyone? :)

Stizo

Veteran
Pollen doesn't stay viable for that long so you'd have to do regular grows and ship out asap if your rep means anything to you.

Spaventa

Veteran
Forgot to say... I’d only be bullshitting about getting it from abroad so no issues but I’m glad my “Spanish suppliers” are believable :)

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sure you said that already?

Does the long hall over here with various carriers, then you distribute it locally. So we just see UK stamps/franking. That's right isn't it?

I kept some in the fridge for 6 weeks. In paper wraps, within a sealed bag of rice. It still worked. Another 6 weeks and it didn't though. You will really have to figure out your storage system, and start sampling to check viability each week. The hardest part will be treating it like the post office. Some times freezing it, and other times baking it in a translucent topped wagon. If it's 30c in summer, you can bet it's hotter in that wagon with its light transmitting roof.

St. Phatty

Can pollen make it across the English Channel ?

Do English Cannabis growers get seeds from mainland European hemp grows ?

Spaventa

Veteran
I’d keep a tent rocking 365 and next day it to wherever, whenever. Not hard to imagine.
Packaging needs research but it’s not rocket science.
Thanks for the input everyone

dufous

If such an enterprise were legal, profitable and viable, one has to wonder why it hasn't been done already. Growing has been legal here for two going on three years. Lots of folks offering seeds, clones and teens. No pollen chuckers in sight.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
I looked at doing something like this a while back - but found it far more difficult to do since live pollen is a much more delicate substance to transport successfully - and doesn't keep so well - plus there are not so many pollen producers - since most people are growing only the females -

But - not to say it cannot be done - there have been, and still were one or two firms who were selling live pollen - last time I looked.

Spaventa

Veteran
I’ve been thinking about the delivery and packaging. Going to send a few test batches to people in various locations and see what works and what doesn’t.
I’m in no rush and it doesn’t need to be a big earner. I’d only do it for the love of the plant and the fun I’d have being a collector of dads :)