What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What PH meter would you recommend?

frostqueen

Why is everyone shitting on Blue Lab? I've had my Blue Lab now since 2014 with no probs. Fucker done dry out on me more than once and keeps on ticking. See I think the trick is to only use Blue Lab calibration solutions. Some people might use other brands which might fuck shit up, my 2¢

PEACE!

Bluelabs are excellent instruments. They just cost ten times what my crap-meter costed, and both are equally accurate if calibrated.

superx

Veteran
Blu lab for the win hands down, you get what you pay for in this world nothing less nothing more.

Bluelab gaurdian. Constant monitor readout is fucking amazing. All you have to do is walk by it and see where the vitals are at. It has run 1 year with no issues. My blue lab pens have worked for the last 2 years without issue either.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've bought quite a few ph pens in the last 15 years. Expensive Bluelabs and Hannas, etcetera. The best pen I've ever had is one of these. I was going to just use it as a standby, but it has lasted two and a half years now and still soldiers on. My Bluelab, on the other hand, took a shit in six months, and my Hannas never made it a year without new electrodes... which cost more than the entire cheapo pen does. If you want to treat yourself to a fancy expensive meter by all means do so. But in my experience it's really not worth it.

Here's the thing: ANY piece of shit ph pen will work just fine, unless you have automated your system and need constant ph monitoring. The only thing you need to be sure to do is quickly check to see that it is still calibrated. I do a quick dip into 7ph testing solution to make sure; it takes less than 30 seconds. It stays really consistent and accurate with this shit-pen. I make a slight adjustment every few weeks via a screw in the side of the meter.

TL;DR: if you put a crappy ph pen into calibrating solution and it says 7, it's just as accurate as a Bluelab that says 7.

Just my experience. YMMV.
This looks like the exact same type of pen I use, only the name brand on it is Jellas. Going on 2 years now and it's usual drift is about .2 in 6 months. It's not water proof, but they're less than $20.

Use a strong plastic bag and strong rubber band, and it's suddenly as waterproof as the expensive pens. :)

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
i fuking hate ph meters but its the only thing i cant grow without..

ive had sooo many over the years.. i bought a load of chinese 1s off ebay that all came with the exact same screwdriver lol hydro has eaten them all

eco technics again been gone horticulture ph pen been and gone ... i currently use blue lab ph pen and im on my 3rd 1.. they do eventually start giving you bunk readings no matter how many times you re-calibrate..

i always store my ph pen in ph buffer 7 soloution when not in use...

ive got to the stage where i factor in the £70 for a new pen every year...

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Bluelab gaurdian. Constant monitor readout is fucking amazing. All you have to do is walk by it and see where the vitals are at. It has run 1 year with no issues. My blue lab pens have worked for the last 2 years without issue either.
This is what I want, and will have some day. lol Nice :)

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've gone through a few PH meters over the years. The cheap ones, most likely wont last long. Blue Lab's PH meter is the last one that I purchased. I prefer A meter that has a probe that can be replace. I prefer to not have a combo meter, I prefer to have one of each (PH and EC/PPM). So far the Blue Lab meter is the best I've had and I would recommend Blue Lab PH meters. I've never used any of their ppm/ec meter yet. The Blue Lab meters cost more, but you get what you pay for which is a quality meter.

superx

Veteran
I've gone through a few PH meters over the years. The cheap ones, most likely wont last long. Blue Lab's PH meter is the last one that I purchased. I prefer A meter that has a probe that can be replace. I prefer to not have a combo meter, I prefer to have one of each (PH and EC/PPM). So far the Blue Lab meter is the best I've had and I would recommend Blue Lab PH meters. I've never used any of their ppm/ec meter yet. The Blue Lab meters cost more, but you get what you pay for which is a quality meter.

I have the blu lab truncheon for EC from 2010, can highly recommend it, I actually avoided the combi.

tentgrower

Thanks for your responses. I just ordered a Blue Lab PH meter with replaceable probe. I opted for the non-multi meter option. I agree with the comments above about having a separate piece of equipment for ec / ppm. I'm scheduled for a Christmas Eve delivery from amazon. After I have a chance to tool around with it I'll post a review. I also ordered a Milwaukee MW102.

I'm gonna try them both out and keep one or the other or maybe both. I'm finicky.

Thanks all!

Wendull C.

Veteran
I'm looking for a more reliable PH meter and am considering a Blue Lab Combo Meter Plus. It's a little spendy but I'm tired of $50 meters failing after 3-6 months with proper care and need something more reliable. I just had a bad experience with Hanna Instruments and wound up returning 2 PH meters in a row @ $98 each due to drifting readings and slow response time. I no longer have faith in Hanna making a solid product and am leaning strongly toward the Blue Lab.

A shop near me sells them and will personally warranty a replacement in the store if the unit fails within 5 years. The probe is only warrantied for 6 months, but that seems fair. $226 out the door. Is it really worth the cheddar or is Blue Lab just over hyped and over priced?

What do you guys think? I'm buying on Friday...

Thanks!

Hey man, I had recommend the blue lab combo meter. I was having trouble with probes going bad after 6 to 9 months. Until I complained to the tech and he told me to store my probe in the storage solution they sell. No 4.0 or tap water.

Since then my probe is going on 2 plus years and no cal. Problems. After I write this it will probably read 1.0 and burst into flames, but it has worked flawlessly for almost 3 years with a 5 dollar storage solution. :tiphat:

Wendull C.

Veteran
I carry the fucker everywhere in an old Steiner binocular case if that tells you how much it is used.

It has never dried though...

brickweeder

Hey man, I had recommend the blue lab combo meter. I was having trouble with probes going bad after 6 to 9 months. Until I complained to the tech and he told me to store my probe in the storage solution they sell. No 4.0 or tap water.

Since then my probe is going on 2 plus years and no cal. Problems. After I write this it will probably read 1.0 and burst into flames, but it has worked flawlessly for almost 3 years with a 5 dollar storage solution. :tiphat:
Thanks for the info on using No. 4 or tap for storing the probe. I am using their KCl storage solution, and the electrolyte in the probe is getting lower way too quick. Will switch up to No. 4 and see how that works.

Also, for those in the market for a blue lab, I do not like the combo meter because the cords for the two probes tangle easily, and with a glass pH probe, drops can happen. Someone earlier said to use separate pH and EC meters, and I would go this route if I had to do it again.

SnowShow

Going on four years with my Blue Lab combo meter, only replaced probe once. Blue lab pen for 6 years and still accurate.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Thanks for the info on using No. 4 or tap for storing the probe. I am using their KCl storage solution, and the electrolyte in the probe is getting lower way too quick. Will switch up to No. 4 and see how that works.

Also, for those in the market for a blue lab, I do not like the combo meter because the cords for the two probes tangle easily, and with a glass pH probe, drops can happen. Someone earlier said to use separate pH and EC meters, and I would go this route if I had to do it again.

Quite certain he meant the opposite about the 4.0 and tap. Neither is a good idea.

Have had my bluelab ph pen for two years straight with precise readings. The bluelab ec pens are another story. I had one of them for a year and it crapped out on me. Bought another one and that one broke in 8 months. I know this thread is for PH pens but can someone recommend a good EC meter?
Also, Ive heard to order bluelab products straight from their website because ive read reviews on amazon that they got fake pens! Order from bluelab (more expensive) to be guaranteed the REAL DEAL.

Earlmarne

Have had my bluelab ph pen for two years straight with precise readings. The bluelab ec pens are another story. I had one of them for a year and it crapped out on me. Bought another one and that one broke in 8 months. I know this thread is for PH pens but can someone recommend a good EC meter?
Also, Ive heard to order bluelab products straight from their website because ive read reviews on amazon that they got fake pens! Order from bluelab (more expensive) to be guaranteed the REAL DEAL.

My blue lab truncheon has served me well for a year or 2

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
The CF Truncheon might be the best bit of kit ever. Pour in one part feed while you stir. Repeat every day for 20 years.. no problem.

If you loose the cap off a PH meter, it's as good as dead. I don't use a storage solution though. I tried. It fell over. I shook my head.
A couple of flicks with the wrist clears off most fluid, then pop the cap on. It should last ages. Anything else has been a fail.

I had a lot of use out of a scan2 and don't understand why they were withdrawn. My phtestr 10 must of done 4 years on it's current tip. Also a withdrawn item. It's getting slow now. Maybe 15 seconds to stabilise. You can see where it's heading before that though, and it keeps it's calibration well enough to not bother. It might be a year since it was last checked, but I know it will be within 0.2 I have had it so long.

I do like a waterproof meter. This means they spend a lot of time bobbing around, which may contribute towards them staying alive. A properly designed meter really should be happy getting a dunking. If it's not happy swimming about, then I wouldn't expect it is fit for purpose. I would go as far as to say, if it's not waterproof, it's crap. I have had a few such meters, and non lasted. I'm not sure it's a case of getting what you paid for, so much as getting something that uses choice components. Waterproof. Easy calibrate with 3 points if you wish. Replaceable tip. If it's all those, you won't need another tip. What were measuring is really quite weak.

I killed one unexpectedly measuring RO water once. I don't have a solid explanation of why. I guess it sucked (the ro water, that is)

Latest posts

Latest posts